Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-04-2002, 08:35 AM   #51
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Go see the 999

Not to get this discussion going again, but I appreciated the beauty of the 916 design instantly and it's become an icon, not stale.

The Terblanche designs just don't do it for me, and neither do Aprilia's, though I admire all of them for their technical goodness. The bikes at MV and Benelli are just so much better looking....and the Guzzi prototype is sharp, too!
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2002, 09:15 AM   #52
Captain_1
Founding Member

Default Re: No MS4 in '03 for U.S.

Like the 998, the '03 MS4 lives on in Europe but will not be available stateside. Rumors abound for a new MS4 in '04 with a single-sided swing arm and 996/998 motor.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:02 AM   #53
KPaulCook
Banned

Default NAKED BIKE SHOOTOUT NEEDED as soon as bikes available

Right now we are just spouting out opinions based on specs and highly subjective rider/writer opinions. I am looking forward to a naked bike shoot out. Side by side on the track, street, dyno etc. Other magazines such as BIKE of the UK less kind to the Buell. I think there is some understanbable bias torwards a US bike manufacturer by US mags and conversely an understandable bias torwards Triumph by Bike and other UK mags.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:10 AM   #54
ACE1100rider
Founding Member

Default Aprilia Shimilia

You know one stupid reason why I like the new Buell a lot more than the Tuono? There were more than 3 times the responses on the Buell roadtest three days after it was posted than there are here...even after accounting for "The Highwayman".

I like a bike that gives the finger to convention and causes controversy. I also like a bike with some coherent styling theme, whether graceful or ugly. There's something so generic about Aprilia's bikes. I always thought Italian bikes were supposed to be beautiful. Aprilia's just look like a chunky mess of angles and edges, with no grace or flow to the styling. Don't get me wrong, I have ridden them and they perform impressively. But I just need a little passion in a design, and I don't see it from Aprilia. The Tuono is a nekkid bike that manages to NOT look nekkid.
ACE1100rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:11 AM   #55
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Like a Salt Lake City Strip Bar....

...where you find out that "naked" means at best pasties and a g-string. Then, to add insult to injury, you find that all you can drink is near-beer!

Sounds like, in spite of the failure to really expose any of the "interesting parts" the Aprilia does a bit better job of delivering the goods!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:16 AM   #56
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default CA Street Legal Dirt Bike Conversions

I have just moved to California, so I don't know the ropes, but does anybody out there have experience getting dirt bikes past DOT here? I have seen some dirt bikes with CA plates but don't know how they got them passed.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:29 AM   #57
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: Aprilia Tuono

You want to show me where the Buells' styling is cluttered?

Overhead cam engines have been around for at least 70 years, so what's your point? Talk to me when valves are operated electronically.

The real revolution in engines is NOT engine configuration/valvetrain acutation! It is in computers and engine management systems.

Old 11-04-2002, 10:30 AM   #58
xmike5
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Shimilia

OK, if you think Aprilia designs are generic looking, that calls into question your sense of sytling. Also, you're right. The number of responses to a road test is a stupid reason to like one bike "a lot more" than another one, especially considering that the Aprilia didn't get a real road test (read the article).

I think the performance as far as the numbers show is pretty damn good. I have to admit, though, that styling is almost equally important in my buying decision. On styling, I really liked the Tuono at first and thought all of the angles and pieces gave it a kind of awesome tricked out look, but the more I look at it, the more confused it looks. I'd have to see it in person to make a final decision, but I have to agree with ACE when he says, somewhat harshly, that it looks like a chunky mess. Gotta give them credit though for trying something different.
xmike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 12:16 PM   #59
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: CA Street Legal Dirt Bike Conversions

The issue in California is the VIN# The CA DMV computers break down off road motorcycles into two catagories "Green" and "Red" stickered bikes. All bikes produced through 1997 are Green Sticker. After 97, two strokes, and bikes that have not been put through formal EPA testing by the manufacturer will get a Red Sticker. Current Green sticker bikes are: Honda XRs, KTM LC 4s, and the KTM EXC-G series. The rest... CR / CR-F, KXs, YZ /YZ-F, RMs, DR-Zs, WRs etc are classified as Red Stickers and the computer will reject them, if you try to get one through. This system is not always up and running though and people have been known to get the occassional racing four stroke through the DMV with a green sticker and a lighting cert.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:21 PM   #60
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: CA Street Legal Dirt Bike Conversions

Easy enough if you have a baja kit. Basically working lights and a street legal silencer. Granted a 2 strocker isnt going to fly
12er is offline   Reply With Quote