Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-02-2002, 08:43 AM   #11
Rude374
Registered Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: Aprilia Tuono

In the Vin Diesel movie XXX the big tall bad guy was riding something that looked like a Tuono.... most of the scenes with it were short and dark so it was hard to tell. Does anyone know for sure??

Add it to my wish list next to the Falco and Futura in my fantasy garage..... don't know if I could actually trade in the yellow '02 SV though.... I love it too much.
Rude374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2002, 09:50 AM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Aprilia does more with less, H-D Buell could learn from this

Considering the wealth and resources of H-D Buell the folks at Aprilia should be complimented on their ability to create bike after bike that is more modern and offers better performance (regular Tuono will sell for $11,999) than any thing Buell makes. It makes you wonder if the H-D folks every get out of the country. A trip to Italy or a European motorcycle show could do wonders for the idea factory at H-D Buell. Hopefully, Colin Edwards can win a few MotoGP races to help Aprilia's marketing in the U.S. Competition is good thing.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 09:56 AM   #13
DurangoKid
Founding Member

I feel that my heartbeat is rising again.

When I first heard about the Tuono, I rushed to The Euro Shop in Waco eager to put down my deposit. $17,000 didn't seem unreasonable. After all, my emotions were making this decision.

I opted against it for a number of reasons. First, $17,000 really is a bucket load of cash. Second, Milles are expensive to insure here in Texas. Since the Tuono hadn't been rated, I feared the worst. Third, I would have to wait until November to get my paws on one. November's here and I don't have a Tuono. Sniffle.

After all of the Tuono's were spoken for, I regretted my decision not to put down a deposit. Then comes word that a Tuono for the masses is on it's way.

Maybe I will just pimp out my Falco with the Streetfighter kit and a Mille Swingarm.

Either way, my wife is going to KILL me!

DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 10:53 AM   #14
pmmonster
Founding Member

Yo John, how about taking my '97 TLS out for a spin? I would be curious how a converted TL (superbike bars) with a Penske shock might stack up to the newer machines. My forks still bite but the bike is a hoot and bargain w/o all the busy (over)styling of the Tuono and "me too" styling of the new SV1000. Just a thought.... (I keep asking Jason to ask but he's too busy thinking about wheelie school to bother).
pmmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:58 PM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia does more with less, H-D Buell could learn from this

For a real embarrasing[?] question, ask why Aprilia can go from scooters to a compettative WSB team in 2 years, while HD spent a dozen yrs stepping on their ****s in AMA superbike, Surely with HD's resourses, and Erik Beull's design skill they could have been at least a top 5 player, HD and it's current clientel might not be sportbike oriented, but Harley has a well recognized history of success in racing that's worth bragging rights, if nothing else. The Aprilia looks like a real jewel, however thats a hell of a dip in HP @ 5200 rpm, Is the chip and pipe not dialed in yet or what? It doesn't seem to effect performance at all but I'd expect to see a more linear rise in an enhanced powerband. Still 117hp and 78ft/lb of torque in comfy Italian style is enough to put a smile on my face.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 02:26 PM   #16
12er
Founding Member

Oh one thing does disturb me about this "Naked" bike, I cant see any of the engine... Zip, zero, nada, ok a sidecase cover but thats it. Not so naked after all...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:34 PM   #17
mcprince006
Founding Member

I'm pretty sure that was a Cagiva Raptor. I sure wish they could import that one here!

mcprince006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:47 PM   #18
12er
Founding Member

Have you been to www.ducati.com lately? Its too funny, they have an article trying to convince you that you "Must see the 999 live." Apparently they have heard the gag reflex most have come to when seeing it online or in a mag. All I gotta say is this thing better really sell as I can hear the axe grinding right now and the chopping block being hauled out.

I also took a look a the Multistrada for a 10th opinion, damn that thing just gets uglier. I really want to like it as it looks to be an absolute blast to ride, but I have the urge to jab my eyes out with a pointed stick every time I gaze upon it. I can just picture looking over at a store front window to see my reflection and having the window shatter in horror. Granted I could do that just by walking by but hey, I wear a full face helmet.

Below is their question and the link.

Seeing It Live

Do you like the 999? We believe you need to see it live!

http://ducatiworld.ducati.com/desmotimes/doc938.html
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:59 PM   #19
SlowBear
Founding Member

Cap,

I think it an age/ generation thing. Many of these bikes look (to me) like a brilliant designer did 90% of the bike but quit before the styling was done. Then the somebody's nephew was hired to finish the bike. OTOH, a lot of people seem to like Aprilia's styling, look at the other comments on this article. This may explain why they make lots of bikes, people have different tastes and needs.

FWIW, it looks like Aprilia is going to style the Moto Guzzis for more conservative tastes. If you go to the Guzzi page (http://www.motoguzzi.it/noaudio/main.htm) and select the "Moto Guzzi" button and then select "Labrotorio Di Stile" (my Italian friend says this means laboratory of style, more or less) check out the "Griso", it looks like a naked bike more to my tastes. Once they get the new, water cooled engine it should be close to the Aprilia's power in a package that suits my tastes (and maybe yours) a bit better.

Cheers,

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 02:16 AM   #20
900F
Founding Member

I imagine that owning a euro bike has it's draw backs ( availibility of parts, service costs..) so the new SV1000 looks pretty good.

With the extra $5k, you could trick out an SV and be sitting pretty good. Still, it would be nice to own something as exotic and sexy as the Tuono just once........