Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-01-2002, 12:24 PM   #71
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Deuce Hop-up Reader Feedback

Actually, over at Cycle Worlds print zine, Burns has done at least a couple of recent cruiser or chopper stories -- even though he clearly is not really a cruiser guy -- which have gotten good response. One was a very amusing report of riding some custom builder's radical chopper with trick hand shift, foot clutch while trying to stay with the builder who was riding an R1.

I think he might have given it a pretty good, fair write up -- on the other hand, he might have written a very provocative piece just to stir things up. Either way, he would have actually ridden the thing, and would have actually given some opinion about it.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2002, 12:49 PM   #72
rsheidler
Founding Member

I believe that there are several cruisers which CAN tear it up in the twisties as well -- H-D Dyna Sport for one, BMW 1200C, Guzzi California, several of the metric cruisers.

For that matter, while riding through Carson City with my wife on my Ducati a few years ago, I had the experience of encountering a seemingly typical Harley rider on a springer softail -- leather jeans, no helmet, braid down to his ass, etc. We glanced at each other's bikes, gave nods and thumbs up signs, and as it turns out, we were headed the same way, into the Sierras south of Lake Tahoe. I was following and expected that, as the road got twisty, I'd politely blow by him. But no way... he took some very different lines to compensate for his relative lack of cornering clearance, but I found myself riding a bit past my own comfort zone to stay with him. I was riding two up, but on the other hand I was on a Ducati, and I am a road racer! I have never been quite so ****y about how cruisers can't rock and roll after that!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:52 PM   #73
ridinsince59
Founding Member

Default Re: The Righteous and the Damned

Yes Highwayman, there ARE sites devoted to your highly intelligent & certainly righteous point of view. I urge all who read this to have a look at these webpages below, so they too can develop a "Harley Davidson attitude", the slogan my local HD dealer uses in his radio ads to sell HD motorclothes-NOT bikes!

Feast your "real man", Amurican eyes on these tributes to the glories of Amurican iron, oh excessively wordy one:

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/hdtackycrap.htm

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/main.htm

After perusing these HD tribute pages, we will all join you in a loud and hearty "Amen"!
ridinsince59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 01:46 PM   #74
ridinsince59
Founding Member

Default Maybe Mitch is right...

Geeeeez, Burnsey, after takin 28 seconds to read this "long-term" fluff piece, I gotta wonder if your former boss, editor Mitch Boehm at Motorcyclist Mag, wasn't right!

In the last paragraph of his Lean Angle column (Dec '02 issue of Motorcyclist), when talking about the new and improved Motorcyclist web site, he said "...we'll be sure to include all the latest stuff (first rides, new-model intros, etc.). And because it's the Web (and FREE!), there's now NO REASON to "subscribe" to those silly pay-to-view sites.

I think "silly" is a good word to describe this online rag in recent months!
ridinsince59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 02:31 PM   #75
Bikeaddict
Founding Member

Empirical?
Bikeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 02:57 PM   #76
saaz
Registered Member

Not really relevant outside the USA going by those arguments. Does this mean harleys should not be exported? I know a few people on harleys would not be at all pleased by this......
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 03:03 PM   #77
Valker
Registered Member

Default 70 HP......

Bwaaahahahahahahahaha!!! I think I will stick with my 98 Valkyrie...it only has 50,000 miles, changed the plugs once, never set the valves, and it just blows away my buddies 2002 HD with the 95 inch engine and all the Screamin' Eagle parts. Through the gears-no contest. Top gear roll on, just an easy pull away. I'm glad I saved $10,000.
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:01 PM   #78
Huss
Founding Member

I have to agree that Harleys are great for resale value, the Japanese are at fault whether they are building cars or bikes for the feel that they need to re-design MOST of their products every couple of years. This instant visual aging of the previous models does kill resale and understandably so. So I can understand the attraction to the brand, which is why I tried one out. Thing is for me, I'll take a solid, safe,secure feeling (at all speeds) over an investment prospect. Maybe you didn't notice the weave, maybe you don't ride a Harley the way one would ride a modern design, but I rode it like any other bike and was upset that just to keep up with freeway traffic in LA (75+mph) I had to deal with that weave. I'm not into this for the money, I'm into it for the ride.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:24 PM   #79
johnnyb
Founding Member

HIghwayman, can we enlist your services? contact me. johnnyb@motorcycle.com
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:26 PM   #80
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe Mitch is right...

ouch.