Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Deuce Hop-up Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1440-deuce-hop-up-reader-feedback.html)

BMW4VWW 11-01-2002 10:27 AM

Re: Men who never surrender . . .

You forgot assless chaps. VWW

triumph900 11-01-2002 10:36 AM

Re: Deuce Hop-up Reader Feedback

You miss the point! Who cares about a Bandit/SV650 "blowing it into the weeds". It's a crusier. If you don't dig cruisers, don't buy one. It's just another type of bike (which MANY folks buy), and variety is a GOOD thing! Have fun on your Bandit, and you Deuce riders have fun cruising (and figuring your resale values!)!

rsheidler 11-01-2002 10:43 AM

>>When 65 year-old women start looking good to me I'll "upgrade" to the Gold Wing.<<

Hmmm......I think Tina Turner must be somewhere around there........naaa, still not ready for the Wing!

rsheidler 11-01-2002 10:59 AM

Dyna-Glide Sport

This is the one Harley that I have seriously considered actually pulling out my checkbook for -- seems like it can work as a real motorcycle, not just something to be seen on or to make some sort of personal statement with. Works for cruising, touring, and in the twisties.

I am completely baffled by the concept of forward footpegs -- in addition to the inability to use them in turns, as you point out, they seem damned uncomfortable -- all your weight rests on your tailbone, with no ability to support any with your weight with your legs. Plus, I have not figured how to shift positions to keep my cheeks or nads from going to sleep without doing a pull-up on the bars, introducing unwanted steering inputs. I just don't get it!

Jexter 11-01-2002 11:04 AM

Re: The Righteous and the Damned

My bestest, closest friend is a complete goober. He's currently working on a home-made liquid cooling system so he can overclock his CPU beyond its 2 gighz limit, constantly tries to bait people into arguments about Star Wars and Indiana Jones so that he can bash them with his superior technical knowledge, and he and I are in a competition to beat Wizardry 7 as we speak (a DOS-run RPG that heavily borrows from D&D), and I'm falling far behind. Oh, and that computer he's tinkering with? He fabricated the back of the case because the motherboard didn't line up with the pre-made holes quite right. He's 20 years old. He frequently wears a t-shirt that says "Geek Squad." We're gonna camp out so we can see the first showing of "The Two Towers."

He rides a Daytec-framed, custom chopper with ape hangers. More H-D and chrome than you can shake a stick at, and it suits him just fine.

Glad ta know that he's part of the Harley Davidson cult-'o-badassness. Lol.

Buzglyd 11-01-2002 11:47 AM

Re: Dyna-Glide Sport

I agree about the pegs. I had a 96 Low Rider which had mid-mount controls along with highway pegs. It was nice to have two different places for my feet. The best of both worlds for sure. I wouldn't care for highway pegs only.

Huss 11-01-2002 12:04 PM

Not Burns, he'd just provide a link to their web site and say read it yourself... j/k!

Actually, I'm puzzled as to how 70hp in a 600lb bike can feel like a wolf in wolf's clothing...

Huss 11-01-2002 12:30 PM

Enjoy that weave that you're gonna feel at 70+mph. Enjoy watching people on 1800 Wings blow by you in the corners, on the straights, at the gas pump when you run out after 170 miles and they still have 80 more miles till fill up. Seriously though, you say you like Ducatis, so I'm assuming you like good handling bikes (or are you one of those dudes that just uses it to ride to the local espresso watering hole?) so why don't you test ride a 1800 Wing? It's free and even though you're not going to buy one, it will at least open your eyes to what you are missing.

As for 65 year old women, well I live in Venice CA. My 24 year old girl friend loves it, loves the metallic orange colour and the 6 disk cd changer (which doesn't take any luggage space). Plus so do all the other young hotties here, Harleys are common as muck out here and the only way they get attention is by trying to win the who has the loudest noise-maker contest.

Oh, I found out about the weave first hand by renting one for a day out of curiosity. It was a 2000 model year. The bat wing fairing reduced comfortable speeds down to about 50mph in cross winds. I understand that for 2002 onwards Harley updated the suspension, swing arm etc but according to the latest MCN, it still weaves over 75mph...Oh well, each to their own said the man as he kissed the pig!

Buzglyd 11-01-2002 12:59 PM

Well I've put 15,000 miles on my Ducati in less than a year and a half so I get espresso, I just get it really far from my home.

I've put some fairly serious miles on Evo-powered E-Glides as well and "the weave" never was an issue.

I sold motorcycles in a large San Diego dealership (Big Four Japanese brands) and have total respect for the Gold Wing and its capabilities. I just made the ol' lady crack as a joke.

My H-D will remain as quiet as possible (mine comes with a cd player too!). I'm not into that whole wannabe biker, poser thing. I wear Dainese gear no matter what bike I ride.

I don't dish out advice to others on what they should be riding. I wonder why the non-Harley riders feel the constant need to remind those of us who enjoy H-D products what a huge mistake we're making.

By the way, I bought my '96 Low Rider for $13,300, put 35,000 miles on it, and sold it for $12,500 (and no it never broke down nor leaked oil). So who's the smart one here?????

Cheers

sarnali 11-01-2002 01:16 PM

It always struck me as an apple's and orange's type of argument, why buy a cruiser or full-dresser if you want to haul-ass around corners? I'd keep my Suzuki for a fast bike, and buy an electra-glide or road glide for poking around on, you can put $20 grand in a Harley and a R6 will still eat your lunch, why not just sit back and enjoy the ride in comfort and style, if you want more power, get a second bike thats made for performance and handling from the start, and quit pizzing off the neighbors with your drag pipes.