Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-01-2002, 08:20 AM   #51
cyclox
Founding Member

Default Re: Deuce Hop-up Reader Feedback

I came here to comment on the exact same problem. As far as I can tell, the caption at the bottom of the figure is mislabelled.

Also, this "review" was more or less useless, given the already stated lack of information about reliability, handling, etc.

Of course, MO might have simply been trolling for another silly post by The Highwayman.
cyclox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2002, 08:37 AM   #52
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: The Righteous and the Damned

Fortunately (if you can say that poverty is fortunate), I'm not riding a Japanese bike, just an old Ducati so despite the fact that I'm not stout (first time I've ever heard anyone brag about being overweight) that must mean that I'm a "real man". How reassuring to know that I'm not one of those dreaded "atrociteurs".
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 08:51 AM   #53
grover750
Founding Member

Totally agree. But what you fail to mention is that you can easily cruise on sportbikes (especially sport tourers, VFR, Futura, ST4, etc), while tearing it up on a cruiser just doesn't work. It's not what they are made for.

Is there a reason the following statement cannot apply to sportbikes?

"(Blankers) are for exactly what they are named for, (Blank)ing. They're not designed for drag racing, they are for an enjoyable ride through the city or on the interstate; a way to get away from your mundane life and just ride.

Just because they are designed for dragracing, doesn't mean you have to dragrace. But you do have the option.

The one thing cruisers CAN do that sportbikes can't is get the reaction from the crowd. So if you're out to impress, or draw attention to you, get a cruiser. The Duece would be an excellent choice.

"Loud Pipes Lose Rights"
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 08:52 AM   #54
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Answer to your questions:

Why can't Harley's Move Fast: It's simple, 70 horsepower and 700 lbs is about 1/2 the power to weight of an SV-650 and 1/3 that of a sportbike. But the market they are in doesn't really care. Anyway, even a big Hog can beat 80+% of the cars and 95+% of the SUVs off the line.

Then again, the cruiser market doesn't generally care about power. If they did, you would see more bikes along the lines of the Magna and V-max, designs which have been around for years and can pump out a LOT of power. Both Suzuki and Honda have very good 1L V-twin sportbike engines, the perfect donors for a stompin cruiser.

The V-rod may improve that situation somewhat, but if it really DID, I'd expect to see an RC51 or TL-1000 powered cruiser in the next year. Or there is the "The engine ALWAYS looks good covered in chrome, no matter the configuration", and do a cruiser based around an R1 or GSXR-1000 engine.

Why can't Buell Sell Many Bikes: Buell has fantastic chassis designers, really clever engineering, and a nearly 0 R&D budget: They are still stuck with a Sportster lump, and HD refuses to give them the design budget to build something better.

Just imagine what the Firebolt would be like with an SV-650 class engine (same power, easily >20 lbs lighter) or a TL-1000 class engine (same weight, >100 horsepower). But HD refuses to give Buell the engineering budget to do so. Until they have modern engines and transmissions, I wouldn't touch them myself.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 09:01 AM   #55
Twisted
Founding Member

Another thought...this We (HD cruiser riders) vs. Them (Japanese sportbike riders) atttude sucks! It promotes nothing good and most of the arguments are lame (however eloquent) beyond belief.

A much more productive attitude is We (all bikers) vs. Them (anti-motorcycle rights groups). Hell...I like a fight as much a most, but this in-fighting hurts us all.

If it's got two wheels, an engine and you're ridin' it...you're part of a special group of people...motorcyclists! It's smarter to promote unity within this, relatively, small group rather than separatism. Duh!

Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 09:07 AM   #56
rsheidler
Founding Member

I am completely with you on this one -- for a lot of us -- not only Harley owners -- tinkering and otherwise modifying our bikes is a big part of the appeal.

I would say that Ducati owners fall only slightly behind Harley owners in this respect. How many Ducatis do you see without aftermarket exhaust systems, carbon fiber and billet replacement parts, Ohlins shocks, and -- especially for the aircooled, 2-valvers -- more extensive internal engine mods?

Some us get great personal satisfaction from creating something that expresses our own personal ideas of style, performance, comfort, etc rather than what some committee decided was right for the market.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 09:19 AM   #57
rsheidler
Founding Member

OK, so I was not really in the market for a Harley Deuce or any other cruiser for that matter, but I did read the article expecting to learn something -- either about the bike itself or at least about the modifications. All I learned about the bike is that it looks cool (I could reach that conclusion myself from the pictures), that the reach to the forward mounted footcontrols was in the right place for someone 5'9" (or whatever), the price for the modifications and a dyno chart which is too small to read, but seem to indicate that the modified version has more power and torque (can't say for sure cause I can't read the legend -- I only assume that the better curve is not the stock one). I don't learn anything about how the modified version works on the road, how loud it is, throttle response etc.

Maybe next time they better put Johnny or Sean or el Flaco or someone like that on the assignment -- someone who will actually give us some input at to how it actually functions.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:19 AM   #58
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'm in my 30s so I'll stick to Harleys and Ducatis for now. When 65 year-old women start looking good to me I'll "upgrade" to the Gold Wing.

Dammit KPaul! You're supposed to have my back here! Help!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 09:24 AM   #59
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>My 2000 Bandit cost me $5K and I suspect would blow the duce into the weeds.<<

And, for that matter, my 1887 Winchester 12-guage cost me nothing (I inherited it from my great-grandfather) but it could certainly blow your Bandit into the weeds -- so what?

Old 11-01-2002, 09:25 AM   #60
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

After owning a couple of Harleys I can testify that Harley riders keep to their own not out of some idiotic America first creedo but, mainly because they can't keep up with anyone else. VWW.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote