Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-04-2002, 06:40 AM   #101
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Deuce Hop-up Reader Feedback

Good post and right on the money. Only thing is, drag pipes hurt performance more than help. Unless you create some back pressure with anti-reversion cones or baffles, they put a deep dent in the torque curve down low. Drag pipes are simply to make noise and not for any real performance gains. Anyone with Harley hop up experience will tell you a 2 into 1 system with a big fat collector on the end makes the most performance.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2002, 06:57 AM   #102
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>buy a Honda Accord and forget about motorcycling<<

Ahh yeah, the Honda Accord -- the logical next evolutionary step for the Gold Wing (duck and hide!) -- and better price/performance ratio to boot!

I'm not really a touring bike kinda guy (BMW R100R is about as close as I have gotten), so maybe I don't get it, but when a lot of Wing fanatics brag about the features of their Wings, it sounds more like they are describing the Accord.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 01:14 PM   #103
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: I wonder...

To say that Porsche engineering involvement in the engine design of the V-Rod qualifies the V-Rod as a Porsche motorcycle is the same as saying that the Ford SHO is a Yamaha automobile design merely because Yamaha contributed to the SHO motor design (as I recall).
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 02:01 PM   #104
sarnali
Founding Member

The best looking Harley pipes were the two into one collector on the '78 low rider, I think there's a picture of the bike in the MO road test archives, I remember liking them when I bought my Sporty, but navy pay barely covered a sportster, let alone a 74
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 04:45 PM   #105
95XV1100
Founding Member

Looks like you got the streak uncorked. That's not bad power for a cruiser of that posture and it is suppose to handle pretty well also. I have never understood why so many people fall for the Harley thing. I think its a peer pressure thing. "Why if I am seen on anything else than a real bike (Harley) people want think I am as cool" And of course you hear "it isn't about horsepower",but the first thing Harley boy does is give the bike back and tell them to change the exhaust, air cleaner, jets and if that's not enought add the big bore kit.

Just start w/power designed in case in point the highly underated V-max. It took Porche whoops I mean Harley 18 years to make a bike which approaches the perfermance of the V-max a bike virtually unchanged since inception cause damn it sweet. With a few ergonomic changes the bike is very comfortabe and with a few performance mod the bike performs like the V-Rod can only dream of.
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 04:46 PM   #106
95XV1100
Founding Member

I have never understood why so many people fall for the Harley thing. I think its a peer pressure thing. "Why if I am seen on anything else than a real bike (Harley) people want think I am as cool" And of course you hear "it isn't about horsepower",but the first thing Harley boy does is give the bike back and tell them to change the exhaust, air cleaner, jets and if that's not enought add the big bore kit.

Just start w/power designed in case in point the highly underated V-max. It took Porche whoops I mean Harley 18 years to make a bike which approaches the perfermance of the V-max a bike virtually unchanged since inception cause damn it sweet. With a few ergonomic changes the bike is very comfortabe and with a few performance mod the bike performs like the V-Rod can only dream of.
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:38 AM   #107
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Harley best sounding???

I just bought a 2002 Fat Boy and if something comes close to the noise of a VW beatle with a valve problem, its a stock H-D. Even my mother commented on the noise.

As for how it stacks against my previous Yam Royal Star, the verdict is still out (but I can say already that it certainly won't win in all categories - but in some)

-cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 06:35 AM   #108
anrajala
Founding Member

Default 65 year old women vs. Harleys

>When 65 year-old women start looking good

>to me I'll "upgrade" to the Gold Wing.

Hey it goes the other way around. When you don't look good to 65 year old women, you'll upgrade to Harley.

- cruiz-euro

Old 11-05-2002, 07:28 AM   #109
sjriott
Founding Member

I don't totally get it either. My father-in-law has a bunch of Harley's in various stages and the last one I rode for a day was a Softail Classic with about $6,000 worth of parts on it. I couldn't even go over 65 mph up this pass in Idaho and I really had to flog it to even go that fast. The PM brakes were scary at best with only one disk and cars were blowing by me.

I have a Vmax that I just put a 4-1 Hindle exhaust, K&N filter and Stage 1 jet kit on myself. It's putting out about 121 hp at the rear wheel, not the crank. I've found it much more enjoyable to ride this bike than any Harley I've ever ridden. I did have to mess with it some to make it handle correctly but it was worth it. I can cruise quite comfortably with my wife on the back and when she's not there it's a blast to twist the throttle and launch forward.

I would like to eventually buy a Harley but what I want is a bike that looks like this Duece with the V-rod engine. The V-rod is so damned ugly and just seems like a Japanese ripoff instead of the nice, classic look that has made Harley's so desireable.

I also have a CBR900RR for the twisties and a WR426 for the dirt so I'm not just a cruiser guy either.

Old 11-05-2002, 07:51 AM   #110
anrajala
Founding Member

Default >>highly underated V-max<< are you nuts??

Is V-max underrated? At least in Europe it enjoys a cult following.

And for a reason one could argue: old enough to have sex with, and still has more power, more torque and is lighter than much hyped V-Rod.

-cruiz-euro