Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-02-2002, 03:25 PM   #91
kawasakiLTD
Founding Member

Default Re: The Righteous and the Damned

They could but what good would a twelve year old kid be to them?
kawasakiLTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2002, 02:26 AM   #92
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Deuce Hop-up Reader Feedback

Buz, Huss is a GoldWing owner wishing he bought a Harley. He does try soooo hard to justify why he bought his Wing, he comes off a bit jealous. We have had "discussions" on Harley before, and he just spouts the same pre-programmed mantra as all the others. He did ride one for 3 miles once, and he reads alot, so I guess you could classify him as an "expert". I can give you my "novice" opinion, since I actually own a 2001 Classic and have 20,000 miles on it, but hey what do I know? The Glide does have a fork mounted fairing that can be affected at times by a hefty crosswind at certain speeds. Not a problem. Any bike with a windshield on the forks will do the same thing, and we all know how many bikes have those. The forks get pushed a bit by the wind and you just loosen your grip and countersteer a little to compensate. Any "motorcyclist" can easily ride through this rare situation and barely notice it occured. If you are an unskilled rider, you would naturally tighten your grip on the bars, not use countersteering, and have to slow to 50 to "feel safe". Does that sound like anyone we know? LOL I can assure you my Glide does not "weave" or whatever he wished it did. You can put on the throttle lock and ride down the highway straight as an arrow, hands off at just about any speed the bike is capable of. I have had mine to 100 indicated and had no "weave", but then again I only have 20,000 miles and Huss has 3, so I could be wrong. Ride is solid one or two up. I took the bike to Deals Gap 6 months ago and I can tell you it handles very well for a big bike. Won't set any speed records, but will hustle through real nice. The Glide has the sound, feel, looks, ride and lasting value that the GoldWing will never have. Does it have more gadgets, and is it faster? Nope. I had a 96 Wing and put 70,000 miles on that bike, so again my inexperience is showing. A GoldWing is a nice ride. I rode the new Wing for many miles, thought Honda went in the wrong direction with it, and went and got a Harley Classic and never looked back. "Remote" is the word I would use to describe the new one. More car like than the last version. Had that new Wing for a whole week to check it out too. But again I have no reference from which to speak, so pardon my ignorance.

So in conclusion, you won't beat Huss in a race to wherever he is going, as if that matters. Yes, you can wave to Huss safely as he speeds by, but why would you want to? No, you won't be riding on a two wheeled version of a car. Yes, you have to actually back your bike using your legs. No, yours doesn't have all those idiot interlocks for the starter, shifter and kickstand, so if you want to hit the starter button and lurch over your Huss' toe, you can. Claim you didn't mean it! Yes, you can easily work on it your yourself without taking off mountains of plastic. Yes, you can modify yours to be as individual as you are. No, you can't buy chrome plated plastic for yours. Yes, people are drawn to your bike at every stop. No, you can't haul a trailer with your doughnut making machine in it. Well, you could, but just get a doughnut from the GoldWing riders. Yes, if you appreciate all the intangibles that make "the ride" then you will be very happy with your choice.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:00 AM   #93
sarnali
Founding Member

So Longride,,,,, You like your 'glide or what? ,,,,,,,,I was down there yesterday looking at Electra glide standards, Pretty impressive, alot more reasonable price/payment structure than I expected too, They've come along way from my '80 FLH,
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 06:52 AM   #94
Buzglyd
Founding Member

longride you are absolutely classic.

I've done a couple of 1200 mile trips on rented Evo E-Glides and noticed when passing a big rig that it would get a little turbulent but like you said, I would just relax my grip instead of fight it and cruise on past.

My neighbor just picked up his new Road Glide last night and it's in my garage because he has no place to put it at the moment. That black and silver paint is awesome! I still have to wait until Jan. for my Ultra.

I just want to know how Huss convinced his "24 year-old" girfriend that his Wing was cooler than an E-Glide?

Personally I think the new Wing is a fine bike but a little too plasticky for me. It doesn't make me want to go in my garage and stair at it like I've done with my neighbors new glide three times already!

I'm just curious why the non-Harley enthusiasts on this list persist in trying to convince those of us who enjoy the brand what a huge mistake we've made? I don't see it happening the other way around.

If you ever take a "longride" out west, I'll advise you on some great roads.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 07:42 AM   #95
navion_pa1
Founding Member

Liked your statement about the differences.

Although, I think the write up was a little

fluff, no hard info, or even riding impression.

I tour on a Kaw, Concours, ride a sv650 to

work, and tool around on a old shovel head,

glide. Each bike is for a different ride.

Late

navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 04:05 PM   #96
grover750
Founding Member

Whew, I started something with that post. Longride, you've obviously bought the bike that makes you happy, and that's good. You've also shopped around, and are knowledgeable about other bikes, also good.

How do you thing that Honda went the "wrong" direction with the new Wing? They saw that younger buyers were not buying it, so they made it sporty while giving up none of the comfort, and very little of the protection. Are you referring to the looks of the bike? I don't know what else you could be complaining about, everything else about the bike rocks.

I do enjoy the HD vs. Japenese debate, and can see both sides of the debate, I really can, but when I see someone posting about how they are going to spend thousands of dollars tearing apart the engine on their $18k bike, and still get less performance than the wing, I just have to comment. If your goal is performance, I think the wing is a better choice. Plus, getting performance out of a HD generally means making it really loud (I'm sure there are other ways, but save it, everyone knows that is the first thing HD riders do to their bikes to increase power), which negatively effects all motorcyclists by pissing off everyone within earshot.

Yesterday I fired up my '78 GL1000 (w/ 84,000 miles, 9500 of which were in June of 2001 when I went from Minnesota to Alaska and back, through Arizona, 2 up, with camping gear, with absolutely no mechanical problems) that I bought for $950 bucks and took it for a slow cruise up the Minnesota River. Chugged along at 3k RPM doing about 45, quiet as a whisper, just watching the river roll by, listening to a Neil Young tape on my radio, with a big cheeser on my face. Totally relaxing. Met a guy on a HD, also big smile, and we waved at each other.

He spent $18k, I spent $1k.

Explain to me again why he was having a better time than I was?

What were the "intangibles" he had that I was so sorely missing?

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 08:15 PM   #97
reggler
Founding Member

all i can say is my meanstreak with the thunder air kit, power commander III and v&h pro-pipe is cranking out 83.3 hp and 91.2 lbs torque and all for thousands less than the list on the harley. for any non-believers i'll gladly provide the dyno chart.

rode it from atlanta to california, 47 avg mpg.

what was i thinking when i bought this thing?
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 08:18 PM   #98
TheFox
Founding Member

Default I wonder...

This is a direct cut and paste, but the bold face is my own:

The only people in the world who build a decent sporting V-twin are the Japanese and the Italians. Consequently, the Japanese and the Italians are, in my opinion, the only people in the world who know how to build a decent motorcycle in the first place. The Germans build decent motorcycles but I think the Japanese and Italians are ahead in the game there. [b]Maybe Porsche could build a decent motorcycle, but they haven't even tried. A motorcycle made by Porsche would be interesting. [b]

I wonder how this guy feels about the V-Rod?

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:56 AM   #99
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I was a bit sarcastic with my last post, but I assure you I tried not to bash the GoldWing motorcycle. I owned one and rode it for 4 years and have nothing but fond memories and respect for the motorcycle. Yours sounds like a keeper and I would never say you made a bad choice. When someone is arrogant enough (not you) to suggest I, as an HD owner, am less than intellegent for my choice of motorcycle than he, and quotes the same blah-blah I have heard 10,000 times I get a bit edgy. There is plenty good with the new Wing. There is plenty bad too. First, the shrunk the rider area. Nice if you are short, but my knees now hit the fairing and the annoying buffeting my 1500 produced was worse on this one. Not good for me. Second, many standard things like a cassette player and liner bags, that I enjoyed on my 1500, are missing. I think the bags were 170 bucks and 1000 for a CD player. Next, storage space was down. Bags are smaller and poorly shaped compared to the 1500 along with the annoying sensors attached that didn't work right on my test rider. Yes, it was faster and handled better than a 900 lb motorcycle should. The braking was WAY better than the 1500. There is a persistent overheating problem also that Honda has not addressed that was not a 1500 issue. Also, it's very expensive for a bike that will not hold it's value well. Sorry to bring that up, but you don't want to know how little I sold the 1500 for. It just seemed even more car like as I said before. The styling isn't to my liking either. Adding it all up I wasn't impressed, at least not enough to buy one. That doesn't mean it isn't a fine motorcycle, and a fine choice for many riders. One of those riders didn't happen to be me.

Answering your question on "intangibles" is of course impossible. I would never say you weren't having as good a time as him, but would you say he wasn't having as good a time as you? I can only tell you that speed, power, handling, price, performance have little to do with enjoyment, and more to do with ego, in my opinion. Enjoyment is the feel, sound, smell, style, and connection you have with what you ride. Being faster isn't always better, right? You, riding an "OldWing", should understand that more than anyone on a newer one, correct? You had a great time on a a bike that is supposedly "inferior" to any new Wing, so you are closer to a HD rider than you once thought. Both on "inferior" machines having a great time. Sounds like you already know what riding is all about, so i don't have to explain.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:23 AM   #100
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Believe me I wish H-D sold the bike with the hop-up parts already installed. It's a little something called supply and demand though. They sell every bike they make with the current power plant and then you spend several thousand more for engine goodies and perhaps a few chrome doo-dads.

I suppose if H-Ds sales dropped off they would have to offer the bikes with more content to compete. If Honda could sell every Wing they made with less horsepower and then get you to purchase additional horsepower there is no doubt they would. (I thought you were a good conservative capitalist anyway?)

As far as the open pipe idiots are concerned, what they don't realize is that open pipes actually kill your midrange power. There is a reason they are called drag pipes. I plan to keep mine as quiet as possible while adding some performance (H-Ds touring mufflers are almost as quiet as stock while flowing better). By the way, H-Ds 103 kit (1800cc like the Wing) makes about 120 HP and 110 Ft-lbs of torque.

Anyway, I think the wing is a great bike too. I found the ****pit a bit cramped on it as well and I'm not that tall (5-10). The looks of it leave me cold compared to the E-Glide.

Like longride I get a bit miffed when I start receiving unsolicited financial advice when discussing my choice of motorcycles. If I'm smart enough to earn the kind of income to afford one, I think I'm smart enough to know there are "better deals" out there. H-D is the only bike I would buy new. I bought my Ducati for half of what it cost new and it only had 4,000 miles on it. The market is softening on MV Agusta F4s so one of those may make an appearance in my garage in a couple of years (a GSXR 750 has a better P/p ratio though!).

I enjoy reading your posts and longride's as well. It's nice to have a bit of wisdom on this list to counteract the squids.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote