Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-31-2002, 04:33 AM   #31
panthercity
Founding Member

Default Re: Great Arguments for Stupid People, Part II

They payin' you by the word again, John?

panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2002, 04:50 AM   #32
ofreen
Registered Member

Well, I read it all the way through. I'll generally read anything Burns writes since it is usually funny, whether I agree with it or not. No kneeslappers in this one, though. I couldn't get mad about any of it, either. Must be something wrong with me...
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:29 AM   #33
ltcmdr
Founding Member

Default Re: Ad Hominem

I still couldn't find the ad for the Hominem in the whole article. Is the Hominem a new cycle from Bavaria? are you going to review it or do a shoot-out with it? How much is it? Where is the ad? Pictures please.

(great intellectual article by the way. we need one of these now and then. )
ltcmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:36 AM   #34
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Hard to keep up

It is getting tough to keep up with these things. Wasn't so long ago that Volvo's WERE the perfect car for upper-middle class pseudo-lefties, who professed to hate cars but still wanted to drive around in comfort. That boring, stodgy image was the perfect cover. Then, Volvo figured it could sell more cars by emphasizing style and performance, started adding turbos, wide wheels, spoilers and all that and totally ruined things.

It does seem that a lot of the old Volvo crowd have now switched to Subaru, although a lot seem also to have moved on to gargantuan SUVs (quite an irony there!).

Now Subaru threatens to mess this up as well -- with the WRX, reportedly the most fun you can have with 4 wheels and 4 doors. I think the perfect stealth car just might be a WRX wagon with a Greenpeace sticker -- I can blast all over the local forest service rodes, terrorizing hikers and wildlife and still maintain my liberal middle class cred!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:55 AM   #35
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Is this still a motorcycle web site?

I went back and reread the article, and I did not find any political opinions expressed. Ad hominum attacks are equally fallacious when employeed by "liberals" against "conservatives" or cruisers vs sportbikers, Euro vs American vs Jap bike fans or whatever.

I think if you objectively read many of the discussions on this forum, you will find plenty of motorcycle-related examples of ad hominum argument.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:58 AM   #36
Mtafilms
Founding Member

What is this *****?
Mtafilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:09 AM   #37
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default No Shat Storm with this one...

I found this most recent article to be thought provoking. Unlike past offerings/rants, Johhny B deftly points out that BOTH sides of the political (or any other) fence can be guilty of Ad hominem. As this is often a more universally applicable afflication, which can occur when discussing ANY subject, I doubt that our pot-stirring editor will enjoy the same notoriety for this article than for others he has scribed in the past.

Ultimately, Johnny has thrown the gauntlet for his readers to have the balls to open their minds and ears and at least listen to (or consider) their perceived opposition's point of view. You still may not agree, but you should have the ability to articulate WHY. Blanket verbal assaults or walls of opinion that never flex from thought are akin to a big, fat head in the sand gorging only on ignorance.

A rather simple concept, really, with relevant examples everywhere you look...cruiser and sportbike fans sometimes included.

Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:39 AM   #38
vcs700s
Founding Member

Default Re: Is this still a motorcycle web site?

Well said Wil! I couldn't agree more!!
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:11 AM   #39
Laramie
Founding Member

Thanks for the article jb, it was well put and heavy-handed enough that those who would benefit most from it can "get it". That is, if they finish reading the article. After all, it willl take a whole two minutes and attention spans being what they are...

Reason I am responding is because of how apt your article is for this, and every other open forum on motorcycles that I have read. I know that you know this and hence the article. It's sad to see motorcyclists attacking one another for using their freedom of choice in what they ride simply because it does not support another persons choice. I can read any number of intelligent articles re motorcycles, cars, logical or illogical arguments, headlight bulbs and whatever else, but after hours of sorting through so-called "discussion" forums hoping to learn more about the motorcycles reviewed, I only find myself sifting through vitriolic diatribes against opinions! Enough, it's fatiguing even to write about it. Keep it up, and upright jb!
Laramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:21 AM   #40
rsheidler
Founding Member

Regardless of what you may or may not think of Johnny's opinions, ya gotta give him credit for being able to throw out some tantilizing lines that keep ya coming back.

This one is a great example -- as long as there is the possibility of getting more of the story in the future, I wanna keep reading more. Another example was in Part I (actually in the following discussion) where he hints at events leading up to his abortive legal career.

And John does occassionally follow through with a few more tidbits -- as he recently did regarding circumstances surrounding his less than friendly departure from Motorcycle Magazine -- not a lot of new info, just enought to keep us wantin' more!