Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-28-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
motodude1
Founding Member

Default Re: Superbikes of the Seventies

i loved it! Great job! You should give Jason a raise...no wait, make that give Jason some MONEY period!!!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
red-silver
Registered Member

Odd that you should choose the R75/5 as your excerpt...

I had a friend that needed to take his family to Montana (from San Jose). He had a relatively new R75 & and a less than reliable mid sixties BMW 2002 automobile. So.... I traded my almost new Honda Civic 1200 for his R75/5.

What a blast! After my pretty steady diet of RD350's and assorted race bikes, this was a new kind of experiance! My girlfriend & I rode two up one day to the coast via Salinas Monterey Hwy., made a right hand turn at the top of the hill (I forget the name of the pass, & the restaurent, but I'm pretty sure they're still there!).

Anyway, as kind of a precurser to the GS era, we ended up riding this thing with the street Metzlers up Loma Prieta grade, a typical California unpaved washboard shale, gullywashed coast road. My clear memory of this was riding this thing two up, feet on the pegs, barreling along about 30~40 mph, watching those gooshy forks soak it all up. Soon some kid on a Yamaha GYT kitted DT-1, (open chambers on offroad bikes in those days!), came along side with the stock Japanese pogo sticks that passed for suspension at the time. He actually struggled to keep even with the Bimmer! I was just motoring along enjoying the day, comfortable and relaxed. That suspension performance truly astonished me at the time!

My other not so good memory, was that the starter wouldn't turn the engine over on cold mornings (and this was San Jose, just imagine really cold country!). The problem was usually solved by taking a teakettle full of boiling water and pouring it over each cylinder! It would usually light right up!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:22 PM   #3
johnnyb
Founding Member

Jason, I think we all know that's you punk...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:24 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

Default What am I missing?

Is there a link to this review?

Thanks

Old 10-29-2002, 04:29 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Nevermind, I found it EOM

Old 10-30-2002, 08:58 PM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

Looks good, I'm a big fan of '70's superbikes, those were the bikes I was lusting over when I was a teenager, I guess I know what my kids will be getting me for christmas.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote