Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-25-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
TheHighwayman
Registered Member

Default Posse Comitatus

Harley men ridinÂ’ posse. TheyÂ’re the most powerful combination of the laws of men and the laws of motion. ItÂ’s high time to reckon how all this came to be.

The pages of American history record the creation of The Motor Company a full century ago, but the inspiration and manifesto of the true Harley spirit hark back a further quarter century to the federal Posse Comitatus Act of 1878. That law revoked the role of the armed forces on American soil and assigned all peacekeeping tasks beyond the ability of the local marshal to a posse of the most courageous and brawny men in each county - the posse Comitatus. As the natural order of things would have it, gunfighters, riflemen, bounty hunters and other stout and hearty men answered this call for fearless riders of the night.

They rode with the blessing of all townsfolk (even the high-collar preacher and the virgin schoolteacher) huntin’ down rustlers, poachers, robbers and all manner of other vermin. Sometimes to horsewhip their hide, other times to hang ‘em high. And here the laws of men were enforced with the honest justice of an earlier age, there being swift trials, quick convictions and no appeals heard beyond a man sayin’ his last words.

This proud heritage of the American posse was well settled when The Motor Company roundabout the turn of the last century started producing motorcycles that re-wrote the laws of motion. Soon enough, the daring horsemen who rode posse found these new machines a better means to the same valiant end, and so the smells of fuel and oil were mixed with those of gunpowder and rope. From the earliest days, the mission and task of American motorcycling were close kin to the ritual and role of the American posse, and the Harley-Davidson bar and shield became the trademark of the righteous and the tombstone of the damned.

To this day the honor and duty of ridin’ posse in the service of old-fashioned style justice remain natural instincts of all Harley men. These are the men who render raw masculinity and molten iron into ferocious fury and masterful roadcraft. These are the men who state their case by a steely glare as ominous as the pump action of a shotgun. These are the men who turn the wretched faces on wanted posters into weary work for undertakers. These are the men who don’t care ‘bout a warrant before they act or anyone’s complainin’ after the fact. These are the men who set the temper of their justice and the fate of their prey by the wrath of the screamin’ eagle on a very stormy day.

In the same spirit and with the same resolve, these are the men who proclaim and preserve the fundamental truths of authentic motorcycling that have served this country over the past century. These are the men who hunt down those who pledge allegiance to far-eastern feudalism and make a slobbering mockery of American motorcycling by riding Asian atrocity cycles slammed together in some godforsaken land.

Now more than ever, America relies on the posse Comitatus to vanquish enemies, maintain order and dispense justice. Today as in earlier times men of the Harley caliber answer the call, and ride against any adversity, adversary or atrocity in the county. And no matter what the dayÂ’s count of the quick and the dead, Harley men will be ready to ride posse the next day, too.

Better hope they donÂ’t see fit to come after you.

They call me . . . The Highwayman

TheHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2002, 03:48 PM   #2
torkmonster
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

first post!

Sounds great! Fun read. What are the chances of getting your hands on one of the race kits for the new buells and posting some before and ofter dyno runs?

Maybe some sort of comparo with whatever you can get.

I miss the comparo's.

Comapros's for everyone!!
torkmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 03:50 PM   #3
torkmonster
Founding Member

I know my other post wasn't the FIRST but it was the first one that really mattered.

Just thought I would clear that up.
torkmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 03:51 PM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Posse Comitatus

Aaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha, *GASP*.....*WEEZE*.....Aaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahaha...*SNORT*, *SNICKER*......"Posse Comitatus".....Aaaaahahahahahahahaaaaa.....Oh god.....must maintain composure......

"old-fashioned style justice remain natural instincts of all Harley men"

--Oh lordy, that alone was good for a ten minute gut laugh!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:08 PM   #5
crankin500
Founding Member

I liked the sheep story better. This one makes me think about all of the hypocrites that buy Chinese junk from Wal-Mart and wonder why the U.S. economy sucks.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:16 PM   #6
crankin500
Founding Member

By hypocrites, I mean; The people riding around with their Chinese leather jackets, boots, gloves and sun glasses, Guatamalan blue jeans and underwear and made in Srilanka H.D. t-shirt. Buy American my ass!
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:16 PM   #7
Agent0090
Founding Member

Default Yeah, I've heard that before.

I'm a criminal defense attorney. I represent a client who is a very confused old man who stands accused of selling his pain pills to a person who was working for the police. The state's expert pshrink believes that he is incompetent to stand trial because of several strokes, an "undiagnosed mood disorder," and "lifelong alcohol abuse." (Yep, you guessed it. It's John Burns.)

The case has been ongoing for quite some time now. Throughout, my client has been quite fond of filing his own pro se . . . ummm, well, they're not motions really, so we'll just call them filings. They're chock full of bizarre right-wing internet-based constitutional interpretations, accusations that everyone involved (myself included) is a cocaine-addled agent of a foriegn government (a common problem in Kentucky), and rants about the proper way to display the flag, the Third Amendment to Constitution (yes, the one about quartering troops in private homes), and taxes.

My prosecutor is convinced that my client is not coming up with these things on his own and that he is being fed this stuff from some other person. She has asked me on several occasions who this person is. I have never been able to give her an answer.

But now I know who he is. I call him . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .. . . .. . .. . . . . . . . . . .. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (keep going with the dots, it's dramatic!) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . . . .. . . . .................................................. ....................................... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. (oh, ***** it)

THE HIGHWAYMAN!!!!!!!!!
Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:39 PM   #8
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

We're way ahead of you on that one. We will be installing a Buell performance exhaust and eProm sometime in the very near future... Stay Tuned.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:07 PM   #9
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah, I've heard that before.

Fact is so much more stranger than friction... thanks for sharing, I'm laughing. Keep us posted? Um, what kind of pain pills and how much $$?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 05:10 PM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

With this and the firebolt, Buell seems to be viable alternative in the nekkid bike class, I sat on a firebolt at the local HD moto-thunderwear boutique [sorry, I can't help it] and was pretty impressed, It was kind 'o' funny because we was down there looking at baggers, and here we were drawn to Buell's and V-rod's, I guess it'll take a while to orient myself to touring bikes, I was thinking of buying a bagger when I turn 50 in a few more years, anyway the Lightning and Firebolt up the ante on Buell's fer-sure.............................................. .as an aside I sleep better knowing "THE HIGHWAYMAN'' and his posse is up on the border watching for black UN helicopters invading from Canada, just make sure the tinfoil don't blow off your head, or they'll be able to track your brain waves!!!.........God Bless you son, make us proud! [sniff]
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote