Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-26-2002, 05:24 PM   #61
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

How do you like your speed triple? I've got an '01 1200S bandit now that I'm real happy with, but I've been reading everything I can on the speed triple, I'm thinking that when my bandit is paid off I'd put hard bags on it and turn it into a work-horse and get a triple for fun, Everything I've read on the XB9R say's how good it handles and good real-world power, so how does the speed compare to that? have you had any reliability concerns? anyway sounds like you have a good combination!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2002, 05:30 PM   #62
Mike_L
Registered Member

I'm not sure I follow you. You ride a sporster, but the XB's brakes aren't good enough for you? Two fingers is more than enough to put you up on the front wheel. How much do you need? Did you catch MO's article comparing the 9R to the 900SS? On a twisty road the XB snuck away from the Duck, an R1, and an RC51. How is this "nothing special" when compared to your '98 Duck? How would the same bike that walked away from an R1 and an RC51 be "put to shame" by your '98 Superhawk?

Please explain.

'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 12:58 AM   #63
900F
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell Exhausts

Well, "you learn something everyday"! I'm surprised that so many pipes are available. I did'nt think enough Buells were sold to get the aftermarket's attention.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:18 AM   #64
900F
Founding Member

"The SV1000 will be a great bike - cheaper competent and more reliable, I'm sure - but it will most certainly lack the I-don't-know-what that the Euros and the American have in spades. "

Any sporting twin with a good exhaust ( I've got Remus cans on my Strom ) has a good measure of that special something you refer to.

Erik Buell decided on the Harley engine first and built his bike around it ( just like Harley does ). He created a "Harley" sport bike and it has apparently appealed to many buyers including myself.

Perhaps MO will do a nekkid twin comparo for us down the road.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:30 AM   #65
Blake_1
Registered Member

You like to ride uh, errr, on your feminine side?
Old 10-27-2002, 01:31 AM   #66
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Re: Better gas mileage???

You adjust the valves on your Sportster? Ohhhhhhh Kayyyyyyyyy...
Old 10-27-2002, 01:40 AM   #67
Blake_1
Registered Member

Whoever gave you that information was mistaken. Possibly in the future we may see another Buell sport tourer, but Buell has never said anything about bringing back a sport tourer with hard bags. You can still get '02 S3T's though. Plenty still on the showroom floors. Or get some soft bags and a Ventura Rack/Pack.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:47 AM   #68
Dynaguy
Founding Member

It has been clear for years now the Eric Buell is a very gifted motorcycle designer. The latest efforts confirm that he is capable of thinking "outside the box" as well. These bikes bristle with innovative features and quality control has improved to the point that Buell motorcycles no longer look like kit bikes with Sportster engines. But, there's the rub...I cannot fathom why the Motor Company shackles Mr. Buell with such an engine.

I have owned several Harleys and got tired of having to redo the bikes to get them to perform. Switched to Ducati, no regrets.

Harley Davidson has the financial resources to develop a liquid cooled V-Twin for Buell. So equipped, Buell motorcycles could compete on equal footing with anything offered in the sportbike class. As things are, $10,000.00 for a bike with 78 HP is simply insane. Buell will never sell bikes in numbers sufficient to be anything other than a curiosity until engine technology is allowed to approach Mr. Buell's chassis genius.
Dynaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 02:15 AM   #69
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

I had a chance to try a 1200 Sportster Sport today. I had ridden Harley's Big Twins before, but never tried a Sporty. I had heard about the vibration... but I was still surprised by the hand-numbing reality. I didn't go 70+, the vibes must be unreal at that speed. Other than that, its OK. Brakes / clutch / seat -- were better than I expected. Too bad, a little vibration is fun.....but when it is so intense that it can become uncomfortable in just a few minutes...the fun is gone.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:57 AM   #70
Mike_L
Registered Member

Default You're absolutely right

You're absolutely right. $10,000.00 for a bike with 78hp is simply insane. Ducati should eliminate the 900SS entirely and burn all remaining models in inventory. While they're at it they should ditch all the monsters too (except the S4) and sell only water-cooled bikes in excess of 100hp. We should file a class-action lawsuit forcing Ducati to recall and destroy all Pantah motors in exsistence. What a terribly cruel world we live in, poor souls are being exposed to bikes that don't do 150mph.

And just what does BMW think they are doing wtih these R bikes?

Mike L.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote