Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-26-2002, 01:25 PM   #51
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

Why don't you just get a 1200 sport? they have triple disc's and adjustable suspension stock, look pretty cool, and putting a few bucks in the motor would probably make it a hell of a lot of fun,,,,your right about Buell, sport guy's think they're harley's and harley guy's think they're Jap, The thing that gets me is how sporty's aren't "real steel," or"girls bike's", ***** they're about the funnest Harley's you can get! I had a '78 XLH a few years back that was fun as hell!, Funny thing is most of the ones looking down on Sporty's and sportbikes in general are the one's with a year or two and 5000 miles under their belts.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2002, 01:27 PM   #52
hungmiester
Registered Member

the issue i have with the buell is that i have to pay $10,000 for a 2 valve push rod motor. sorry i can't do it. technology from the 50's has no appeal to me. a 750 GSXR would be just as easy to ride around town for me.
hungmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 01:34 PM   #53
hungmiester
Registered Member

when you buy that buell just don't wiggle it too much when i blow past you on my suzuki.

lol j/k.
hungmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:54 PM   #54
sarnali
Founding Member

You could get a 1200 Bandit for $7500 OTD, and vanish over the horizon,,,,WAIT A MINUITE,,,,,,,,THATS WHAT I DID,,,,,,,A-HA-HA-HA-HA [wheew, I feel better now] the Beull is nice, for what it is though
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 04:43 PM   #55
BykerGeek
Founding Member

Sporties are great bikes, I had a '98 but even the XL1200s is still a 500 (490) pound dry bike w/o the rubber or geometry of a sporting bike. I almost bought one before I got my XB9r this summer. I wish the XB had just a little more top end but I still have a Speed Triple for when that old passive-agressive, narcistic rage needs attention My therapist has prescribed 2 nekkid bikes for me. So far, it has worked wonders!

BykerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 05:32 PM   #56
dwr461
Founding Member

I'm sure that someone will know the answer to this question. The last time a Buell was reviewed, I stated my need for hard saddle bags. I was told that Buell was planning on revamping their sport-touring bike with this engine and frame. Does anyone know when that bike is due for release and it's estimated MRSP? Thanks.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 05:49 PM   #57
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: I don't get your point regarding valve tech...

What's wrong with pushrods? Why do people care what kind of valvetrain they have? As long as the motor produces fun power and makes me smile I couldn't care less what makes its valves move, or how many valves per cylinder it has.

I have owned:

Liquid cooled V-Twin, pushrods, 4 valves/cylinder

Liquid cooled flat-6, OHC, 2 valves/cylinder

Liquid cooled I-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder

Liquid cooled V-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder

Aircooled I-4, OHC, 2 valves/cylinder

Aircooled V-Twin, pushrods, 2 valves/cylinder

Guess what? The Aircooled V-Twin, pushrod, 2 valve per cylinder Buell is the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. No offense, but I just can't understand the argument that because a technology is older it is less worthy or less functional. Liquid cooled OHC engines have been around a LONG time. It is NOT new technology.

The Buells are unique machines with cutting edge chassis technology wrapped around a big torquey V-twin. Sounds like a recipe for fun to me!

Honestly, someone who would be happy to ride around town on a GSXR-750 is probably not a person that would ever agree with Erik Buell's concept of what a great streetbike is. I doubt Buell ever expects to get your $10,000.

I wonder if you feel the same way about a $11,000 Ducati Monster 900? It is a very similar bike. I think it's Buell's association with Harley-Davidson that causes some people to reject them outright. That is really unfortunate because they're missing a really fun ride.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:14 PM   #58
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default counter balancer

It's called a counter balancer. If Harley would redesign the Sportster motor and stick a counter balancer in it, most of the rideability / reliability complaints about Sportsters and Buells would dry up.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:19 PM   #59
deanmass
Founding Member

That 'toy's in the yard' pic is one of the single coolest motocycle photos I have ever seen...

Buell should use it in their ads...

deanmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:20 PM   #60
Mike_L
Registered Member

Well that's fair enough. The issue I have with imports is that I have to pay outrageous insurance premiums for whiney, gutless motors that are complicated to work on. Sorry I can't do it. Technology from 2050 that I can't work on and requires stratospheric revs to make power has no appeal to me. A '96 S1 would be easy to haul-ass around town on for me.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote