Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-26-2002, 09:23 AM   #41
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

I would like to offer a slight rebuttal to your observations. I own two Buells and a VTR 1000, and spend a significant time on the web site boards, so I have made several contacts with Buell owners. Most did NOT buy their Buell sportbikes because they wanted a Harley. While I wouldn't say that most Buell owners dislike Harleys, I would say they do NOT consider their bikes a Harley.

Buells are sportbikes that just happen to be sold at HD stores for the most part (unfortunately for most of us). Why we feel that way seems to be rooted in that we are routinely treated as the "red-headed step child" in most HD shops. HD shops carry few items of clothing and gear sportbike riders need, so we have to shop elsewhere for these.

Then there is the whole issue of having HD mechanics work on our bikes. Needless to say, you have to be a lot more critical when working on a bike with a stressed engine than one that rarely gets run over 4,500 rpms, like the Sportsters and especially the low powered "Big Twins". I think there is a general dislike of the Harley lifestyle among Buell owners much like in the general sportbike crowd.

Buell engines are much more powerful than their HD counterparts, and most of us have modified them to make them even more so. It is fairly easy to get 100 RWHP out of these underhead 4-cam engines...a feat that requires about 100 cu. in. for a twin cam engine due to the geometry of the valve train. The handling and brakes are SO much better than the HDs that it isn't funny.

And also, they don't leak oil any more...
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2002, 09:30 AM   #42
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

"To paint all Buells with a wide brush is really unfair."

I think they call it unfair bias, which is a major obstacle that Buell Co. has had to try and overcome lately. It seems that yanks in the USA have a much more critical eye towards American made bikes than foriegn made. This bias against Buells does not exist in other countries, and in fact it is quite the opposite. What do we expect from a nation that embraces NASCAR as their main interest in racing?

BTW, most of the recall items of Buell's past were on spec items made in Japan or other countries...i.e., Showa shocks, etc.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:44 AM   #43
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: OK I believe you this time. However....

I don't think anyone said there were tranny and clutch "problems" on Buells. I know for a fact that Buell/HD trannys and clutches are bulletproof. Just look at the ProThunder racebikes that use stock components if you don't believe me.

Rather, I believe MO said they were different than most sportbikes...because they are not hydraulic actuated. I guess that may be a problem for those who are more limp-wristed among us, but I have never had a problem with pulling the clutch lever on my Buells and I have heavy duty clutch springs. I do work out occasionally, which is something I would recommend for any sportbike rider.

What is the first thing that most race bikes change out when converting them to the track...hydraulic to manual clutch actuation. Hmmm...maybe they know something you don't?
Old 10-26-2002, 09:45 AM   #44
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Would love to love her!

Visually and conceptually this bike really gets me going; unfortunately reality sets in at some point.

- Rear seat?

- $10k, are you kidding?

- Quality Improvement? RiderÂ’s long term XB9R already has a case of the weeps (cylinder base) and the fuel injection took a dump at 1500 miles.

- Save those stickers for the fridge not my fuel tank.

Hopefully the new ST3 is on the way with another huge dose of "Continuous Improvement".

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 11:22 AM   #45
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Gotta agree with the author that this is the one that should have come first. Pretty nice bike overall I would say. Would I buy one of though? No. I would rather take a used stock 883 and peruse the Storz catalog for flattrack bits, and build the motor the way I wanted it. Then I would have a real streettracker that was faster and handled better for about the same cash. Buell is getting close, but the loose connection with the Harley line hurts their image. See, the guys that like Japanese bikes see it as too much a Harley and the Harley guys see it as too Japanese. I think the branding puts them in no man's land as far as how they are percieved in the marketplace. Erik needs to break with Harley totally or just put the Harley badge on the tank in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:08 PM   #46
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You may build a quicker bike by throwing the Storz catalog at an 883, but with the antiquated frame and longer wheel base I would have some serious doubt about it's ability to out handle the Buell. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:24 PM   #47
SR
Founding Member

Default Re: Posse Comitatus

This is too funny! I hope The Highwayman keeps posting. I can't believe he could actually be serious, maybe he's not?
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:27 PM   #48
Yeah_right
Founding Member

Default Re: Comparo - XB9S Lightning vs. KTM Duke

These guys have been selling kits to owners of "non street legal bikes" for years. I've seen many license plates on dirt bikes thanks to them. http://www.bajadesigns.com/
Yeah_right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:44 PM   #49
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: OK I believe you this time. However....

Don't pick on KPaul. He's our resident motorcycle expert. Why he's owned one Ninja for at least a year now. He's logged at least 4000 miles as a rider. With all that experience you can see why his opinion is so important here.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:48 PM   #50
seruzawa
The Toad

Git yersef a shop manual. Sporty valve adjustments are as easy as pie. Save yersef the overpriced shop maintenance. You can learn to do it even if you've never used a wrench in yer life.