Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-26-2002, 07:57 AM   #31
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

AClarkson says: >>The SV1000 will be a great bike - cheaper competent and more reliable, I'm sure - but it will most certainly lack the I-don't-know-what that the Euros and the American have in spades. <<

I can think of a few Japanese bikes that also posses that "somethin somethin" that you speak of: Z-1, CBX, V-Max et al.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2002, 08:03 AM   #32
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Funny that you should mention this. After weeks of living in Motojournalist heaven, I was brought back to reality last night by the boss's insistence that I take our 883R home for the evening. I live about 55 miles from MO, much of it covered on the 405 Freeway, through the heart of L.A. I must admit, after getting used to the front brake (90% of lever travel does absoloutely nothing, the last 10% works fine) I started having a blast on the bike. It cruises along comfortably at 70+ MPH, until it vibrates your ass cheeks into a semi painfull state. After exiting the freeway onto my ususal stretch of canyon road, the bike was great. I'm sure I didn't break any speed records, or even break too many speed limits, but by the end of the ride, I definately had a smile on my face.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:09 AM   #33
crankin500
Founding Member

Default Re: Comparo - XB9S Lightning vs. KTM Duke

Cannondale is getting closer with their 440 Supermoto. Unfortunately, its not street legal, it probably isn't 60rwhp and certainly its price is over $5k.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 08:21 AM   #34
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: XB9S Lightning on steroids

If you really want to get creative, drop in a set of Nallin Racing/Mellennium Technologies 3 9/16-inch bore nikasil cylinders, topped off with Nallin's Hurricane 10.5:1 pistons and his stage 3 head work and Andrews .555" lift cams and see what happens. These are all bolt on items. That will boost the displacement to 1030 cc and should make over 100 RWHP...the fun really begins!
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 08:24 AM   #35
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Hack is swimming upstream...I'd say he was a Sockeye!
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 08:27 AM   #36
KPaulCook
Banned

Default OK I believe you this time. However....

Great review Lord Burns. Adding Sean helped on the credibility side. As some have pointed out there are advantages to a bike that needs no valve adjustments, 5000 mi oil changes, and no chain to clean and oil. Also torque is more important than horsepower. However, I am not ready to fork over $10,000 plus for this bike. I would love to see a comparison between this bike and the SV650 and SV1000. It seems to me that the SV1000 would beat the Buell in my beloved price/performance ratio. The tranny and clutch problems are a concern as well. Until Buell gets to that level I am sure they will have to sell these bikes via rebates, low rate financing and the like. Call me cruel but the Buell still remains in the land of the interesting but not in the land of the must have. Keep in mind I predicted the rebate storm but was wrong on the timing. I thought it would be Christmas.

$10,000 is a lot to spend on a Stingray
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 08:29 AM   #37
speedsport
Founding Member

Maybe JB likes "stubby and small" so much because it's so familular?
speedsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 08:39 AM   #38
KPaulCook
Banned

Default His private Idaho

El Faco I think he is a transplanted Canadian living in Idaho. He writes to well to be an American. But his posse/militia comments makes me think I should contact the FBI in Seattle and see if they have heard of this Highwayman spreading posse recruitment prose over the net. I bet he lives next to Mark Furman in Idaho. You know those guys who don't pay income tax and think the Jews run the country.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 08:39 AM   #39
Labrat
Founding Member

Default Re: Better gas mileage???

My 2000 ZX9R averages 40-45 mpg and I've gotten as high as 50 mpg on long freeway trips. The '96 CBR600 I had before that routinely got 50 mpg.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 08:59 AM   #40
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: OK I believe you this time. However....

Kpaul,

How about Honda, BMW, Ducati, et al and their low financing and rebates?