Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-26-2002, 02:14 AM   #21
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

U R cruisin for a bruisin Hack you pointy-headed trout.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2002, 02:39 AM   #22
900F
Founding Member

"Nice product, but for me, not the "character" that my slow, "obsolete", stone age 1200 Sporty has! DFO"

Yep, they could have made it more like an XR 750. Also, I don't recall any comment on how the bike sounds, but with that unique muffler arrangement it is doubtfull you'll find an aftermarket exhaust to improve it.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:52 AM   #23
900F
Founding Member

I think the bottom line is that you'd have to want a Harley to buy this bike. There are quite a few choices now for a naked twin - Aprillia Tuono Fighter ( not the 17K one ), The new KTM 950 Duke and the Suzuki SV1000 .

If your not adverse to some plastic, the list grows abit more - Aprilia Falco R, Ducati Multi-Strada and perhaps even a V Strom.

I own a V Strom and I don't think I'll be going back to an inline 4 anytime soon. I'm not excited about the gronky shifting of the Harley engine nor it's propensity to leak oil.

A year from now there are going to be lots of hot rod naked twins to choose from and the Buell will pale with the competition.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:49 AM   #24
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: Comparo - XB9S Lightning vs. KTM Duke

Yeah! I'd consider buying a Duke, for sure, but first I need someone to tell me what to think about it. I think Supermotards might be the wave of the future, especially for us city-bound, no-twisties types. I'd buy a Duke, but I'm afraid I'd be better off buying a used Honda XR and putting normal tires on it. But, the Dukes do look pretty badass. What's a guy to do?

By the way, Hadji, is that name a reference to a Mighty Mighty Bosstones song, or am I off base?
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:09 AM   #25
akcarlson
Founding Member

I just don't know about this argument.

I'm as happy as the next guy that more manufacturers are getting into the nekkid bike game, and, like a lot of other posters here, I'm pretty anti-Harley, at least in terms of the cruiser image--which is to say, I would not buy a Harley in any iteration (aside from maybe a nice old XLCR) other than a Buell.

For a while now, I've been considering my next bike (ain't that the way it always goes?), and I've always been a big Ducati fan, though the Buells have always sort of spoken to me. But, here's what the decision comes down to for me: If I'm riding across, say, Alabama, and my bike breaks down (which is probably equally likely on a Ducati and a Buell), I'm much more likely to find a part for my Harley-derived bike than the Eye-talian.

Not only that, other parts and maintenance for the Ducati/Aprillia/KTM triumvirate will be much more expensive, and much more difficult for the owner to work on - whereas, if something goes wrong with the Harley motor in the Buell, you can probably fix it by throwing a wrench at it.

The SV1000 will be a great bike - cheaper competent and more reliable, I'm sure - but it will most certainly lack the I-don't-know-what that the Euros and the American have in spades. The V-Strom, though also a capable bike, is sort of doing its own thing, which is nice, but it's not the same as the own thing the others are doing.

I think in the coming years, with the new platform, and (hold your breath) the new water-cooled motor, Buell is up to the challenge that will come from abroad.

I realize this whole post makes me sound a little flag-thumping patriotic, but I'm no Highwayman-neophyte. I just need a big twin, high bars and a short wheelbase to keep me happy.

Buell delivers.

Although I'll be buying used, since I'm still waiting for the big windfall of cash that I know I deserve. But nevermind those details.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:11 AM   #26
99R6
Founding Member

lol
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:14 AM   #27
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell Exhausts

Actually, there are lots of aftermarket exhausts offered for tube-frame Buells, which share the underslung muffler, made by:

Vance & Hines, Supertrapp, White Bros., Two Bros, D&D, BUB, Force, Staintune, Buell Pro Series, Wileyco, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I happen to know that pipes for the XB9R/S are going to be released shortly by D&D, Force, and Two Bros. Buell already has it's race pipe on the market. I'm sure the others are going to follow suit.

These bikes sound ok stock. Kind of a deep but wispy cadence. Aftermarket pipes do wonders for Buells in terms of sound and performance.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:21 AM   #28
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Did Burns say that the Lightning leaked oil? I must have missed it. My Cyclone certainly doesn't leak oil. Neither does my Dad's, or my friend's two X1s and one S1.

I won't deny that Buells have had their fair share of issues, but I have been impressed that the factory has always stepped up to the plate and taken responsibility. I have a 2000 and have had NO major issues. To paint all Buells with a wide brush is really unfair.

Old 10-26-2002, 06:23 AM   #29
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

You know, I went shopping for a first bike a few months ago...wish I had known about this. I ended up with a 2000 Sporty 883 (basedlargely on the val-ewe-bike tests here. And I like it. It's been stone reliable. I am on a fixed income...that means college.

There are thign to like about the Buells (and H-Ds) just from a maintenance perspectiv. To wit: valve adjustments cost 4-6 hundred dollars (depending on your model) and that's usually every 6-8 thousand miles. This Buell avoids that expence entirely. The MoCo recommends 5k for oil changes, and most of the other "sportier" multicylender bikes I know of or have ridden require changes more frequent. (Maybe the oil doesn't break down so quickly becasue it's not revving to Valhalla?)

The pain-in-the-ass factor of chain maintenance/adjustment is also negated on the Buell, so you avoid the expence of lube/wax/cleaner/time. And the belt reportedly lasts 80k miles, while a good chain goes, what, 30k? And a chain costs how much to replace, say, for one of those DiD chains that are so good? The belt for my Sportster costs 35 bucks.

It apparently gets about 10MPG better than the Japanese multis, and that adds up, too.

the mechanical simplicity of this Buell will factor into the cost-over-time, too. No water system means less stuff to break. No plastic means less stuff to insure. Speaking of which, dairyland told me that the new Lightning would cost me about 280 bucks a year for full coverage. Try getting that on a one-bike policy at age 26 with a new CBR.

So this business that the Buell is too expensive for what you get is just baloney.

So there.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:38 AM   #30
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

And just for the record, I like my Sporty becasue I think it's pretty nifty, and pretty solid.

But I live in reality, and I know that my carb is Japanese, my suspension is Japanese, my brakes are Japanese, my tires are Japanese, my light assemblies are Mexican, my guage (singular) is also Mexican (I think) and the paint job was done in Canada and then reimported. And I still think my bike is pretty nifty, just on its own merits. My Sporty is white, I ride a one-piece hi-viz RoadCrafter (no black leather) and an Arai Quantum (no skid lid).

Hey, who knows the basics of mater/anti-matter reaction? I wonder: if we locked KPaul in the same room with The Highwayman, would there simply be a small explosion, and would they cancel each other out?

Can we try it just to see?

Pleeeeeease?! I promise I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live...PLEEEEEASE?!