Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-29-2002, 06:21 PM   #221
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Good point about BMW's crappy bikes.

See my price/performance retraction.

Your resident idiot

KPaul
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2002, 03:26 AM   #222
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Price/Performance Ratio Revisted. KPaul does it again (retraction)

Doing your own maintenance can be very satisfying. Adjusting shim under bucket valve clearances is not rocket science and when you are done you feel so much more in tune (no pun intended) with your bike. I even change my own tires. I break the bead in a bench vice and then spoon the tire off with tire irons I bought at the Tractor Supply Store. I don't have valve maintenance on the Harley but I exercise my maintenance skills on my wife's 1989 Yamaha 600YX Radian. Carb synching is easy also if you have the mercury carb synching gizmo (which I do). It would be nice if no maintenance at all was reality but it isn't.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:30 AM   #223
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: WHat's in a name?

Certainly I agree there B-Jay_Mack and cheese.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:36 AM   #224
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: The Nays have it Grandpa.

Buz, I WANT one of those Nortons! I had a mint 72 Combat Commando that I hated to sell and I have been scanning Ebay for a Norton lately. My brother sent me the link to that guy that makes the new ones, and I never did get the price on those. 25 grand is a bit much, But I bet if I rode one around the block I would be writing the check before I got back!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:46 AM   #225
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Burnout

Did Buell officials complain about the extended burnout you did in your movie clip? Do you think the engine suffered? Does the bike seem tight after the beating you are giving it? Did the rear engine fan kick in very often and could you hear it at stop lights? How easy is it to maintain? Would a 6' 1/2" guy find the bike too small? Can a windshield be mounted for trips (one that would actually do some good)?
Old 10-30-2002, 03:54 AM   #226
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Price/Performance Ratio Revisted. KPaul does it again (retraction)

It takes quite a person to admit all that. Bravo to you.

You're still not quite getting it though.

If you love your bike and you love to ride it, who gives a ***** what any of it costs? (you don't want to know what a four-valve desmo costs to maintain!)

Think about it, the best price/performance ratio would be to not own a motorcycle.

Who wants that?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 04:04 AM   #227
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You can find plenty of late 60s-early 70s Nortons on cycletrader.com-pretty decent prices too.

I liked that company in Oregon because they had modern components on a vintage-looking bike. I'm no wrench so I would be concerned about keeping a "real" Norton running properly, plus my kid wants a dirt bike (which means one for dad!)

I still have the Sept. 99 cover of Cycle World on my desk with the gorgeous Lee Ann Tweeden (Ben Bostrom's former girlfriend) sitting on the Norton.

I'm not solid on the 25 grand price but I'll bet I'm close because it is a low-volume manufacturer.

That new KTM looks like it will be awesome as well. Perhaps it's the bike Buell wishes he could have built although I have read that Buell says he will never do a liquid-cooled motor. Time will tell.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:09 AM   #228
dwindhorst
Founding Member

Default Re: WHat's in a name?

Well, the solution to this is easy. All Eric has to do it go to court and legally change his last name to -- and what you fill in here depends on your opinions in the matter -- Zoom or Elan or Slowposer or Quicknerd or *****incoolrodasphaltslinger.
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 05:18 AM   #229
dwindhorst
Founding Member

Default Re: Current Buell Owner, I'll pass on the XB9's

However, for me the attraction to Buell's bikes has always been the fact that they reminded me of a classic hot rod.

What he said. And, IMO, that will for the forseeable future always require an air-cooled mill. Yeah, liquid-cooling/h.p./tightertolerances/r.p.m./blahblah, but I just like things simple and aeshthetic in the go dept. If I wanted to ride something strictly for it's mechanical/industrial efficiency, I'd go dig out Bill Lear's c. 1968 patent for a steam-powered Indy car and scale it for two wheels.

"So - how many miles per log?"
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 05:52 AM   #230
Buzglyd
Founding Member

check out www.vintagerebuilds.com

$19,995 with an off the scale price/performance ratio!