Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-28-2002, 04:05 PM   #181
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Grumpy old men (The Motorcycle Generation GAP)

Guess what? I was 21 once too, and 30 and 40. I know why I bought bikes and it wasn't price/performance ratio. I just got out of college and served 3 years with 18 to 24 year old kids, while earning my Bachelors in Computer Science. Many of them had bikes. Mostly bad riders with fast 600's. Sound familiar? They always wondered why I rode my GoldWing to class when I had a 900 Ninja they drooled over because it was faster. I told them about cruising to class relaxed with all my books and laptop tucked safely in the bags, and saved the Ninja for track days mostly. They didn't get it. Neither do you. Now, hype is about 90% of bike sales, because the performance of these bikes surpassed the average rider 15 years ago. You couldn't ride this Buell 100% on the street much less an GSXR 1000. But the "Gixxer" has those numbers that are soooo important, nad wins those "shootouts" the magazines are so proud of. Both are 10,000 bucks, but one you can brag to your friends about, right? Why do you think the Japanese push their race wins in every ad they can? My bike won the 600 Supersport title. Big Fuggin Deal. What does that have to do with street riding, and your ability to ride it? Nothing. But it sells bikes to the feeble minded beginner. Why do you think your 2 year old Ninja is practically worthless? Because "Joe GenXer" can't be caught on last years bike can he? Does "Be like Mike" sound familiar? Now it's "Be like Nicky". Yeah right. You see, I understand you perfectly, but you fail to understand me. As was once said "Too bad youth is wasted on the young". I try to learn from people that actually know something about the subject at hand. That wouldn't be you.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2002, 04:31 PM   #182
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Grumpy old men (The Motorcycle Generation GAP)

I thinks it's absolutely smashing (insert Nigel Thornberry voice) that we've had three guys from three different generations all post counterpoints to KPaul's GenX/Price/performance ratio theory.

Anyway I think you're Gen Y KPaul. GenXers are in their 30s now.

Buzz

2000 Ducati ST4

2003 H-D Electra Glide *

both with very bad price/performance ratios!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:45 PM   #183
Dynaguy
Founding Member

Default Re: You're absolutely right

Thanks Badwinger. The purpose of my post is not to slam Buell, I hope that the company succeeds. My frustration is that Harley has the resources to provide a modern engine, yet refuses to do so.

Regardless of the XB9 series' bore / stroke ratio, the engine used just is not up to the task assigned to it.

The narrow V employed makes it difficult to deliver fuel, whether carbureted or injected by complicating the intake track and making placement of injectors (or carbs) inconvenient. The pushrod operated valves suffer from the fact that the outer cam bearings ride in the outer crankcase cover, which means that cam timing is not a precise as one might like. When the compression ration is raised above 10:1, detonation, pining and overheating become problematic, thus reliability suffers. The fact is that this engine is pushed just about as far as it can be and still be trustworthy on a production machine. As noted in my last post, it is also heavy and long, the length compromising frame geometry.

I guess I am plagued by my belief that there exists a "pent up demand" for a REAL American Sportbike. I think Buell could sell a ton of bikes if Mr. Buell were given the ability to specify his own engine.

As for Moto Guzzi, how many of those do we see on the street. A terrific brand with a lot of heritage, but I believe that an engine update would have occured long ago if the financial ability existed. With Aprillia's involvement, look for changes to come in the not too distant future.
Dynaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:46 PM   #184
Dynaguy
Founding Member

Default Re: You're absolutely right

Thanks Badwinger. The purpose of my post is not to slam Buell, I hope that the company succeeds. My frustration is that Harley has the resources to provide a modern engine, yet refuses to do so.

Regardless of the XB9 series' bore / stroke ratio, the engine used just is not up to the task assigned to it.

The narrow V employed makes it difficult to deliver fuel, whether carbureted or injected by complicating the intake track and making placement of injectors (or carbs) inconvenient. The pushrod operated valves suffer from the fact that the outer cam bearings ride in the outer crankcase cover, which means that cam timing is not a precise as one might like. When the compression ration is raised above 10:1, detonation, pining and overheating become problematic, thus reliability suffers. The fact is that this engine is pushed just about as far as it can be and still be trustworthy on a production machine. As noted in my last post, it is also heavy and long, the length compromising frame geometry.

I guess I am plagued by my belief that there exists a "pent up demand" for a REAL American Sportbike. I think Buell could sell a ton of bikes if Mr. Buell were given the ability to specify his own engine.
Dynaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:58 PM   #185
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

You worry about waking the neighbors? You were obviously never cut out to be a HD rider anyway.

Enjoy the R6.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:25 PM   #186
KPaulCook
Banned

Default The nays have it. :)

Read through all the posts I think the price/performance crowd is talking are you listening. Most posts on the Buell says its overpriced are you going to deny that??
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:27 PM   #187
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Rebuttal 1

http://news.motorcycle.com/article.m...sid=1691#41556
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:33 PM   #188
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Rebuttal #2

http://news.motorcycle.com/article.m...sid=1691#41420