Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-28-2002, 01:21 PM   #171
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Grumpy old men (The Motorcycle Generation GAP)

Just title this whole discussion as Grumpy old men who ride Harley's or Buells who don't understand Gen Xers. Hey if Buell or Harley had a product that had the right price/performance ratio and looked cool to GenXers would buy it. This has nothing to do the country of origin i.e. wether it was too Harley or not enough Japanese.

You grumpy old men can dismiss me as an ignorant little punk that only knows about his Ninja but you are totally off base on too much Harley thing. Being a Gen Xer I think I have more expertise than you guys. When is the last time you talked about bikes to someone under 30? 35? 40? See my point. I can not speak for Harley guys thinking Buells are too Japanese only you guys can do that.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2002, 01:32 PM   #172
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

I agree that it might be difficult to get a sporty to handle better than the Buell. However, I have seen a few that DO handle pretty damn good. I know there is (was?) a guy racing one at Willow Springs who frequently won his class (class included, as I recall, Buells, 2-valve Ducatis up to 904cc, Duc 748s, trick SV650s etc.).
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:43 PM   #173
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Grumpy old men (The Motorcycle Generation GAP)

Um...I'm in my 30s you twit. I worked at a San Diego motorcycle dealership in sales that sold all four major Japanese brands and spoke to plenty of young guys ( I think I'm still a young guy) about motorcycles. So, I guess I blew your silly little theory right out of the water.

You just seem to hate everything you can't afford. Remember, everyone's definition of "performance" is different. Yours happens to be what magazine test riders do under controlled conditions. That ain't the real world. Case in point: Burns (on a Buell) was right on the tail of another rider on a RC51.

There's more to life than numbers on a page. Maybe some day you'll get it.

Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:50 PM   #174
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Grumpy old men (The Motorcycle Generation GAP)

KPaul,

As I recall, you are what 26? I am 27. I have owned 1 Honda, 2 Harleys and a Buell. I bought the M2 over a Duc ST2 and Triumph Sprint ST because, quite frankly, the latter two didn't make smile as much as the Buell, and with soft bags and a tank bag the Buell is just fine for all day comfort and light sport touring. I considered SV650, ZR7S, ZRX12R, and a used VFR800. What sold me? No test rides on big 4 at the only dealer in my area, not to mention, from experience, I prefer the feel of a V-Twin to an inline 4.

I could give a damn about the brand on the tank, the top speed, or zero-60. In the end, it's about smiles. I have no need to prove to little old ladies in Oldsmobiles that I can accelerate faster than them. My M2 is perfectly comfortable at super-legal speeds on twisty roads, but I am not willing to push it (or any bike) anywhere close to its limits on public roads. I have fun on my bike, and I enjoy talking bikes with others -- brand doesn't matter.

And realize the only reason I am replying is because you do not represent "generation X." I am hardly alone among people I know my age. I ride to have fun, not to brag to anyone who will listen about the performance abilities of my bike.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:54 PM   #175
rsheidler
Founding Member

You are exactly correct that comparisons of who is fastest on public roads has little or nothing to do with which is the best handling bike, as virtually any street bike made has cornering capabilities well beyond what should be used on the street. (The only exception is those bikes without much cornering clearance.) Hell, even DOT knobbies can generate enough grip to produce some pretty impressive lean angles, if you are willing to gamble on the road surface, other traffic, animals or debris on the road or whatever. As a practical matter, on the really twisty stuff, the fastest bike is usually the one who's rider is willing to push his/her limits the furthest.

Hell, in the group I used to ride with, the fastest bike was often an ST1100 ridden by a guy with only one arm! From that, I guess one could conclude that an ST1100 is better handling than Ducati 900s, R1s, CBR900s etc!

Old 10-28-2002, 01:55 PM   #176
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: There you go again getting personal when

First, I never got personal. I only told the truth about your posting habits and motorcycle knowledge. Second, talking about price/performance ratio is stupid. I'll say that again in case you didn't get it the first time; IT'S STUPID! Figure out how much of that "performance" you use more than 2% of the time and you would have been better off with a Ninja 250. We ride motorcycles for fun and pleasure mostly, unless you commute every day, or race for a living. Cars beat the hell out of any motorcycle for practicality any day of the week. So, if you REALLY want to spend your money wisely, go buy a cage. Motorcycles, like art, are not as practical, but so much more fulfilling than a car. To me a bike is sound, sight, smell, and touch. If it doesn't move me at a gut level, I don't care what it costs, I won't own it. Why try to bring practical choices to an arena that isn't practical in the first place? Damn, aren't there enough "bean counters" in the world? Here is some news for you. Fine women, fine cognac and fine cigars have bad price/performance ratios, but I enjoy em all. Especially the women My 76 Superglide is like that. It's a bike I can't part with. I try to explain to people that the old bikes even smell different than the new ones and they think I'm nuts. Maybe I am, but I can tell the difference between a motorcyclist and a guy that rides a motorcycle. I like people that are passionate about their bikes, and you have no passion, no fire, no emotion. All you have is a stat sheet and a "print rag" article. Sad really, because you are missing out on what motorcycling is all about. Come back when you sell your Ninja and tell us you bought some bike that the magazines hated, is overpriced, and probably won't sell for crap, but when you rode it you just HAD to have one. Then I would say KPaul, welcome to motorcycling.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:00 PM   #177
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>You can learn to do it even if you've never used a wrench in yer life.<<

Not really being a Harley guy, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that you don't need the wrench, just an ignition key. Since it has (I am pretty sure) hydralic lifters, all ya gotta do is start it up and the valves self adjust!

Old 10-28-2002, 02:29 PM   #178
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: There you go again getting personal when

I figure that damn few of us buy a motorcycle for practical reasons -- unless you are a motorcycle courier, or commute in a city like Paris or Rome (where a motorcycle is the best way to get around), you would never be able to justify any motorcycle on a performance-value basis -- except maybe for pure sportbikes, which DO beat hell out of sportscars on that basis. But then, it you really care about value/performance, you wouldn't have been considering the sportscar either!

Hell, why would I buy a Gold Wing, when Honda makes other touring rigs with much more luggage capacity, better passenger accommodations, better stereo, much better weather protection etc for around the same price, or even less -- just check out the Civic lineup, or for a few bucks more, an Accord.

People in this country generally buy bikes for one of two reasons -- to impress someone else, or because that bike somehow triggers an emotional response deep inside. The bikes that trigger that response in me may be very different from what gets you off, but logic has nothing to do with it. Sure, most of us have to calculate value into the equation somewhere (I won't, unfortunately, be getting that new Aprilia Tuano any time soon), but the day I start making that my primary deciding factor, I hang up my helmet and start driving a Kia or something like that!
Old 10-28-2002, 02:33 PM   #179
rsheidler
Founding Member

Can I get the name of your therapist? I think I need a prescription also!
Old 10-28-2002, 02:46 PM   #180
rsheidler
Founding Member

Hey -- we can put this all on a pay-per-view web site and really make some bucks!