Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-28-2002, 07:06 AM   #141
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default MILEAGE

Filled `er up with 3.4 gallons of HiTest this morning at 159 miles--def. improving with 1200 miles on now.--jb
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2002, 07:08 AM   #142
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Welcome to our new pet!

Every website needs it's own pet idiotic troll. This one is really cute.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:19 AM   #143
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

for all it's modernity, the Vrod motor is a heavy powerplant, with all the (weight-increasing) liquid-cooling and fuel injection ancilliaries/peripherals that go along with it. As such it does not meet Eric Buell's understood principles of motorcycle architecture.

you won't see any buells with the V-rod engine. perhaps HD will develop a version of the V-rod that fits Buell's needs better.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:26 AM   #144
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Default Buell dilemma

I've put over 30,000 miles on various Buell motorcycles, and have experienced pretty much every mechanical malady that comprises the current state of mechanical knowledge (to get all pedantic on your ass, the motorcycle mechanics logos). In other words, if it can break, it broke.

What few people know is how good the last generation of the tubular framed Buells really were when they were functioning properly. Once the stiffer motor mounts were installed for the 2001 model year, riders could finally utilize the stiff aluminum swingarm installed for the 1999 model year. By 2001, Buell motorcycles could hang with the best Japan had to offer in tight, technical twisties (at least until they dropped a valve seat and lunched their XL powerplants). The underslung rear shock was always crap, but the supple, responsive fork made up for the rear's shortcomings. Front-end feedback was on par with the finest Italian homologation specials.

If this new S model is as good as johnnyb claims (and I believe those claims), it may be the perfect backroad sportbike. I'm sorely tempted to spend some of my hard-earned money on this baby, but I can't forget the problems I've had with past Buells. What was it our intellectually challenged President said last month? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... . We won't get fooled again"?

I've got it on good authority that in stock form these new Buells will be as reliable as anything coming out of Europe, including Germany and Austria (KTM Duke 2 anyone?). If this is the case, and I hope it is, I may consider a Buell.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:33 AM   #145
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Bikes

I read the same thing regarding heads. The stock heads are of course designed for the stock bike. A friend/mechanic of mine here in Carlsbad recommends the mild 203 cam, HTCC heads, and Gerolamy will enlarge your intake manifold. With the 95 inch kit that should get you in the 90s in torque and horsepower. Plenty for that chassis and lazy riding.

He did put the 103 kit on a bagger and said he wheelied it out of the shop when testing.

I'll probably leave mine alone for awhile. If I want to haul ass I always have my ST4.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:05 AM   #146
mike_root
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

I didn't know the V-Rod motor was such a lump. Pity.

I guess if they would just lighten up the Sporty motor some, add some counterbalancing, a little more HP on the top and smooth out the tranny. it would be working pretty well for this bike, wouldn't it?

Hmmm....if they could do all that, I guess they would have, eh?

mike_root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:16 AM   #147
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Bikes

I think I'll do the same. In the beginning, just the aircleaner, chip and HD touring mufflers (I am keeping this baby quiet!) will suffice. I want to enjoy the CD player.

Maybe later I'll drop in the bigger pistons, heads, etc.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:36 AM   #148
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default We won't even talk about Moto Guzzi!

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:54 AM   #149
KPaulCook
Banned

Default There you go again getting personal when

There you go again getting personal when you lose an argument. Why do insist on doing this. Instead of talking about price/performance which is important you go off on how I only know about a Ninja etc. The engineers I have on my team are able to speak freely and contribute ideas regardless of the experience level.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:55 AM   #150
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Posse Comitatus

LOL
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote