Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-28-2002, 04:28 AM   #121
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: XB9S Lightning with a VR-1000 engine?

Actually Slow Bear is right...I heard it from Erik Beull's mouth last March in Daytona...the V-rod engine is too heavy. But the VR-1000 race engine that the V-rod was based upon isn't. It could be detuned and mass produced for much less than the $50,000 each that the race engine cost...even HD engieers could handle this task. The basic Firebolt was originally designed by Buell in 1989 with a VR-1000 engine in place. Those plans were dusted off and modern innovations applied for the latest iteration.
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2002, 04:34 AM   #122
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Good point about BMW's crappy bikes.

You're onto something! What about all these completely ignorant mooncalves who buy BMW R1150GSes? $15K for an 80bhp bike!! What fools!!! They violate the divinely inspired cost/performance ratio!!!! These heretics should all burn in heck!!!!!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:38 AM   #123
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

Alan Girdler (ex CW editor) did a number of articles on his conversion of an HD XR750 flattrack bike into a street legal streetfighter. That would be one sweet project.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:41 AM   #124
mconlon
Founding Member

I don't think this is quite right. If you were choosing a bike just based on performance numbers, you might consider it, even compared to other similar bikes for your own personal riding style. And I bet quite a few will be sold simply because of the looks of the bike--the design is very nice and hits the streetfighter look perfectly, like no bike since the original introduction of the Monster. So while its spec might not be up to others like the new KTM and SV, it might be enough motorcycle for most and can certainly go on-on-one with any in the nekkid bike class design-wise.

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:47 AM   #125
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: I don't get your point regarding valve tech...

Funny isn't it, how the same people who whine about Hds' 'ancient' aircooled pushrod engines are totally silent about Yamaha's current crop of aircooled pushrod engines?
Old 10-28-2002, 05:15 AM   #126
Dynaguy
Founding Member

Default Re: You're absolutely right

As the owner of a hot-rodded S4, I appreciate your tounge in cheek perspective. So, some clarification of my point is in order. The 78 hp motor in the Buells is solidly rooted in 1957 technology. I know, I have owned three of them. Slow to rev, heavy and long. The gearbox is awful as is the shift mechanism. When the Sportster engine first appeared on the scene, it was technically adequate. The update to the Evo version helped a great deal, however, this engine can never be confused with an air cooled Ducati engine. About the only thing they have in common is that both are air cooled. Mike, Harley Davidson is fond of long stroke engines. This type of power plant works fine for making torque at lower rpm, but when the revs rise as needed to make horsepower, the suffer due to high piston speed versus the oversquare design favored by Ducati. Put a counter balanced - air cooled overhead cam v-twin in the Buell and I think it would work just fine, although it would probably cost just about as much to develop one as to go ahead with liquid cooling. While I did not express it well enough, the Sportster based engine is a nice antique and fine for putting around in cruiser mode. It is not and never will be a serious sport bike engine.
Dynaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:49 AM   #127
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default That "Children's Playthings" Photo is Hilarious

I would never buy this bike, but I just had to say that. Funniest picture you guys have ever posted. Did you actually lay the bike down on the grass, or was that done in Photoshop?

Bravo!
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 06:04 AM   #128
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: So.. Bad Brakes!

>>last 10% of available travel is enough to control smooth progressive braking from 140 MPH<<

Of course, since this is an 883 sportster we are talking about, how often do you think you would need to be stopping from 140 MPH

Seriously, though, from whatever meager speed the 883 sporty CAN manage, I think I would have a problem with only having the last 10% of brake travel doing anything!

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 06:07 AM   #129
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcyclist online

Thanks for the strokes. Spread the word. (You'll also note the new, cheesier look of the print version of Motorcyclist. Ms. Milton--for 8 years Motorcyclist's Art Director--seems to have succeeded in escaping from the cruel Boehm regime. Congratulations to her.)
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 06:10 AM   #130
johnnyb
Founding Member

In the right environment, there are any number of more powerful "sportbikes" the Lightning will humiliate. Ie, tight and twisty.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote