Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1431-reader-feedback-xb9s-lightning.html)

jmeyn 10-27-2002 12:52 PM

So.. Bad Brakes!

You say "90% of lever travel does absoloutely nothing, the last 10% works fine". That would wipe the smile right off my face.

Are you saying that the last 10% of available travel is enough to control smooth progressive braking from 140 MPH, and the time it takes to get past the first 90% doesn't matter in a tight spot?

Sean, some deficiencies trump anything good you can say about a motorcycle. The brakes you describe provide a good example.

Jimi_Dee 10-27-2002 12:56 PM

Re: Buell Market Share 2001

Buell sold more bikes last year in the USA than Truimph, Ducati, Indian, Polaris/Victory, Aprilia, and MZ, in that order. You can find aftermarket exhaust for Aprilia and Buell sold over 3 times more bikes here than they did in the US.

Jimi_Dee 10-27-2002 01:11 PM

Re: Boehm isn't funny...

Mitch Boehm seems like a real Republican ******* to me...I can see why you two locked horns. You are a better writer than he is many times over. BTW, Burnsie, you have come a LOOONG way from the perceived Buell basher in "Bitter Little Man" to its number 1 cheerleader in the industry. Congratulations!

sarnali 10-27-2002 01:28 PM

Re: Reader Feedback: XB9S Lightning

you maybe right, I've never ridden a Buell, my bandit goes about as fast as I care to go right now for the type of riding I do, which is just about everything except latte`runs, and for the total package of cost/performance/reliability/comfort I don't think you'll find a better deal, of course your free to disagree.

itchface 10-27-2002 01:42 PM

I hate to butt in, but I'll do it anyway, out of habit. "Walking away" from R1's and RC51's on public roads strewn with debris and blind turns is no big deal. I've accomplished similar feats myself on SEVERAL occasions whilst aboard my old DR350S. The POTENTIAL handling prowess of the two race-replicas can't really be exploited unless the operator is totally familiar with the road, has a death wish, or is on a racetrack.

As far as the Superhawk vs. XB9S thing goes, here's my opinion: having ridden an XB9R and having owned a VTR1000, I can tell you that the Honda is much easier to ride alacritously. Super light steering combined with no real handling quirks (at street speeds anyway) makes the task of humbling "gixxers" much less complicated, hence more easily accomplished.

Anyway, my point is that, on an unfamiliar public road, beating RC51's and R1's and the like does not constitute proof that your bike is the best handling bike known to man; far from it.

itchface 10-27-2002 01:57 PM

yeah, and having to clean up the inevitable leakage makes him feel right at home at home on the Buell too, I'm sure.

99R6 10-27-2002 02:07 PM

long... i gotta say that i think u are dead on the heels of accuracy there

99R6 10-27-2002 02:31 PM

Re: Buells are great bikes.

Well... some people like to brag about the powerof their bikes.... but being 20 yrs old and having been riding for 5 yrs now... about 50/60 thousand miles (more if u count driveway practice), I can assure you that i have seem some friends... (one of whom is in the ground) attempt and accomplish some incredibly STUPID maneuvers. And yes.... sorry to say, that if u were near my age at all that your opinion would completely change about the behavior of people driving these machines..... More people than u think are willing and able to use all of the power of their jap 600's.... right from first gear, and bounce off the rev limiter to second and so on....

Always Ride safe.... most times ya make it...... ONE time ya wont

crankin500 10-27-2002 03:11 PM

Re: NY?

I wish it were that easy here in NY state. Our tree hugging, lazy ass govt. has made it very difficult to legalize a real dirt bike. Although, I have heard about some people registering their bikes in VT through the mail.

micro 10-27-2002 03:51 PM

Re: You are correct sir

I agree the kawasaki and suzuki will probably weigh at least 50lbs more fully gassed for less money. LBS per dollar better value!