Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-24-2002, 10:27 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Rear Suspension - Mono Shock vs. Dual Shock

You're probably right. Still, there must be some inherent superiority of the monoshock since it is used on all road racing chassis.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2002, 10:51 AM   #22
majmpb
Founding Member

Default Re: Anybody out there actually know anything?

What about succeptibility to crash damage? In racing applications a lowside often causes little damage and the bike can be remounted. Bayliss crashed twice in one race and still finished. Crashing a dual shock bike could cause all kinds of problems to the springs, damper and swingarm.
majmpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:13 PM   #23
sarnali
Founding Member

Longer wheel travel, Yamaha doubled their wheel travel when they came out w/ the YZ 250 mono-shock back in the mid '70's and cleaned up 'till the competition came up w/ their own design. plus alot more precise tuning capability, and stronger swingarms that don't interfere w/ shocks. those are my guesses.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 05:56 PM   #24
Hankmw1
Founding Member

Yamaha Road Star Warrior, power Cruiser with single rear shock.
Hankmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 05:57 PM   #25
Hankmw1
Founding Member

Yamaha Road Star Warrior, Single shock rear.
Hankmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 05:36 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

That's it I'd bet. Easier tuning and more travel. Plus - one large shock/spring unit will weigh less than two smaller ones. The weight of the larger unit will also be more centralized and all of it will be sprung. Lots of advantages here.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:00 PM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

Did you figure out how the shock set-up works on the new 600RR honda yet? I've read that the top of the shock attaches to the swing-arm as well as the bottom, I'm having a time trying figure that one out, I guess I'll have to wait till the bike show in December to see if they have a cut-away or something.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 09:33 AM   #28
toofawater
Founding Member

heres a thumbs up for the dual shock....under seat storage!
toofawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 10:22 AM   #29
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Here, Here.

I can't visualize that one either.
ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 06:11 AM   #30
ridinsince59
Founding Member

Default MY ACTUAL MONOSHOCK EXPERIENCE...

"Is one rear suspension method better than the other? Or is it simply a cost issue?"

After a long riding layoff, several years ago I bought a little '01 Honda VLX "starter" cruiser, with 583cc, and, unfortunately, toyota sedan performance.

We have WORLD CLASS rotten roads in my community, and I was assured by the Honda dealer that the monoshock was the functional equivalent of the standard external two rear shock setup. With a bad back, believe me, it was a question I asked several times.

The answer to the question, based on my experience, is NO!; a single monoshockwill not provide the same amount of suspenson function as traditional external twin rear shocks!

And then I found out that mother Honda had , starting with the '99 model. "improved". i.e.-changed, the rear setup, including swingarm and rear mono shock, on the bike I already have.

What the above change meant is that NO ONE yet makes a replacement aftermarket monoshock upgrade for this recently improved model! And I called ALL the suspension companies, too; several times~

I traded the bike after a year of poor functioning monoshock butt and back torture!

And, ya know, since Honda OWNS Showa, I can't figure out why MOST Honda buyers wind up having to upgrade their suspensions, regardless of type! Honda, (Performancce First!), should equip ALL their bikes with a great functioning Showa shock right off the boat!

Cheap bastards....
ridinsince59 is offline   Reply With Quote