Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-22-2002, 04:56 PM   #41
Basil8301
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Victory Vegas

i think its a great looking bike kinda reminds me of the duece. wonder how its sounds is it single or dual crank pin
Basil8301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2002, 05:14 PM   #42
salesman
Founding Member

Default Performs appropriately for a cruiser.

I sell Kawasakis and Victories for a living. The Kaw Mean Streak has a 17in front wheel shod with Bridgestone bt020s (or something like that) so the 2000 spec zx9r front binders make sense (sort of). But I've let a many a baby boomer cruiser rider test drive the Mean Green who almost wadded the thing because I didn't warn them that the brakes were more powerful than they were probably used to. Had those brakes been mounted on a 21in hoop type deal with attendant minimal contact patch like is on the Vegas, I may have been giving my insurance company a call. To exaggerate the point, try putting your zx-6r brakes on your bicycle. Can you say "lock-up"?

The motor on the Vegas is the 2nd generation Victory V-twin which boasts 20% more hp than the 1st gen (80+ vs 65 at the crank) with the same displacement. According to the Victory engineers I met at Myrtle Beach the bulk of this HP increase comes from the new engine management system by Visteon (formerly a division of Ford) that hackfu mentioned.

It is true that Victory has struggled since it's inception in late 1998 (as a 1999 model). They had a decent first try but made a few basic mistakes and had a modi***** of bugs engine wise that were managed by a modi***** of recalls. All those ills have been pretty much exterminated with the new engine.

Polaris itself is a company we Americans can be proud of. Their ATV's routinely best the Japanese competition in head to head comparos and by the looks of it they're first try at a pure sport ATV (the Predator 500) has a significant edge on the competition at a better price.

Polaris is approaching this Victory thing with the mindset that they are competing with head to head with HD. They believe they can sell a high quality, high tech, low maintenance, truly differentiated alternative to HD (rather than a cheap well made imitation like from Japan). They believe that if HD is the Chevy of the motorcycle world then they can be the Ford. (Which came first, the Chevy of the Ford?)

The dealership I work for has lost some money having faith in Victory but with the Vegas and the new Victory attitude that goes with it, Victory dealers across the nation feel a renewed enthusiasm about their offering. Here's hoping Victory years of future success.

Salesman

http://www.cjskawasaki.com

salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:56 PM   #43
12er
Founding Member

There is one parked around the corner from my work in SF. Other than that one Ive seen exactly two on the road. At least they had a comercial on speed but other than that I dont even know where a dealer is.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:05 PM   #44
12er
Founding Member

What I forgot to add in the post above as scary as this sounds, Ive seen more Excelsior Hendersons on the road than Victory's.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:52 PM   #45
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

decent price since the ElectraGlide I bought in '00 was 13,150 and its a DOG as far as performance and vibration
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:11 PM   #46
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Gopher Greetings!

As a citizen of the "North Star" state IÂ’ve had extensive exposure to all three of the Polaris lines. LetÂ’s just hope they let the ATV engineers (very good product), as opposed to the snowmobile guys (recall city), have a crack at the Victory this time.

OK, maybe IÂ’m just sore that nobodyÂ’s taken a v-twin (freedom?) and stuffed it in a long and lean chassis with moderate footpegs and a normal seat height. WeÂ’re talking latter day Brough-Superior or Vincent. Priced reasonably, 9-12K, and I think this would go over gang busters for an upstart like Polaris.

The ape hanger/lowrider phase has got to be on the wane, right?

Am I on to something, or am I "on" something?

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 02:35 AM   #47
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: Performs appropriately for a cruiser.

Wow, that was quite informative.

I'm glad that there's an American company that's making good bikes with tight specs. If this turns into a reliability/build quality war with H-D and Indian, then things'll REALLY be looking up for American motorcycle manufacturing.

But, in the meantime (hopefully that's not too long), I'll be sticking with the Japanese. That 15k tag is a little hefty for me.

Jexter
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:08 AM   #48
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: Gopher Greetings!

I'll echo that statement--give me that engine in a fairly lightweight (4-500lb) standard or cafe-racer package, and I'd be all over it. Haul Fritz Egli over here for consultation on design. Give it mid-70s BMW with euro-bar ergos. Barring that, how hard could it be for them to take one of their hi-performance engines from a 4-wheeler and develop it into a bike line?

Nah, in my mind more bike mfgs are missing it than are "getting" it... then again, that could just be me---I'm a sucker for stuff like the GB500 and the SRX600...

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 04:45 AM   #49
robb_millett
Registered Member

Perhaps I'm just pissed off that it's priced out of my personal $ range

The bike I have now is a '93 Suzi intruder 1400 that I bought for $4k in '00, so even if the Vegas WAS $10k, it'd STILL be out of my price range, but it's a lot easier for me to pretend that I could afford a $10k bike, than a $15K

Maybe Polaris' plan is to present this as a flagship, and develop downwards from there? one can always hope. At any rate, I doubt that Victory used-bike prices will carry the HD lunacy where by some twisted logic a used bike is worth more than a new bike, and so later on, the Vegas will fall into a price range I can afford.

it will be very interesting to see how well these bkes perform, with regards to reliability issues (I'm thinking the bedeviled early transmissions here)
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 04:48 AM   #50
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

Well said. I note, however, that Victory dealers are generally NOT Harley dealers, and that none of the other non-Harley marques have been able to successfully engage in the sort of steroidal MSRP distortion that Harley has.

So the question is, how much will it cost to actually buy a Vegas? Knock it down toward Vulcan/Nomad territory, and I bet it will fly off the floor.
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote