Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-22-2002, 12:16 PM   #31
mxgb5
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Victory Vegas

Looks good... much more interesting to look at than their first efforts. I'm more impressed with the motorcycle team at Polaris the more I read lately.

They obviously spent a lot more effort on styling for the Vegas. They also have a "custom order" program for their V92C models that at first blush seems much more customer friendly than the program H-D offers.

I have rarely seen a Victory motorcycle on the road out here in California, so I was actually starting to wonder if they had given up on the idea of competing in the motorcycle market.

Frankly, I think it was a better move for them to start with a cruiser (higher profit margins, less R&D, etc) than it would have been to target the big Japanese manufacturers on the sportbike front. Talk about quick produce obsolescence!

I also wish that their prices were more reasonable, but perhaps they are willing to deal a bit more than their competitors from Milwaukee.
mxgb5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2002, 01:09 PM   #32
KPaulCook
Banned

Nice looking machine. I like the custom buying thing. A little pricey but that is probably the Ness thing and customization. Good for Harley to have some U.S. competition. Polaris makes good stuff.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:10 PM   #33
KPaulCook
Banned

Default P.S. Good review nice writing

Old 10-22-2002, 01:18 PM   #34
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Almost like

"Victory really seems to have a commitment to making a go at the motorcycle business. I'm certain they havent had much profit or success so far, but it doesn't seem to be phasing them. "

Yes their approach seems to be almost Honda like Polaris makes good stuff. Since they compete with Yamaha and others in the snowmobile business, I am sure they have a good business plan.

Old 10-22-2002, 01:23 PM   #35
KPaulCook
Banned

Default For some unorginal thought its a good effort

Just kidding . My first thought was just what the world needs another V-Twin cruiser. But hey, it does look OK and the custom ordering thing is innovative for the motorcycle business.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:16 PM   #36
zootsuit
Founding Member

The reason for the location is probably that they're in the general vicinity of Detroit.
zootsuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:03 PM   #37
KPaulCook
Banned

Excellent Post.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:25 PM   #38
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: are mag wheels available?

How do you like your T-Bird Sport? That is one of the bikes I am mentally kicking around as my next street bike. I was really happy that they brought it back for 2003.

I personally am very partial to wire spoke wheels and I like the traditional appearance of the T-bird, but I don't wanna give up modern tires, brakes and suspension, which is why the Sport especially appeals to me.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:29 PM   #39
triumph900
Founding Member

One question about the riding position. How would it fit a person of the 5' 2" - 5' 4" range? Is the forward control VERY forward? Are the bars an easy reach?

Second, about the price. Yep, it's up there, but, I sell Victorys (parttime) and I own a 2001 SportCruiser. There is very little on the bike that is cheap or platic-y. The bike has first rate bits, so I guess this helps explain the high cost (doesn't make it any easier to pay for though!).
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:43 PM   #40
mattg
Founding Member

I think that victory can be excused somewhat for the price tag. Sure it falls within the realm of harley pricing, but the quality of the parts, especially in the suspension dept, are at a much higher, more advanced level than that of Harley. This alone will increase the price. And also take into consideration that Victory is not yet a heavy hitter in the bike buisness. Compared to the clones out there, the Vegas is a screaming deal. Kudos to Victory for making one hell of a nice looking ride.