Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: Yeah, so Yossef's in Italy on the 999 and I'm not. Thus, I:
Hate that stinking bastage! 19 9.05%
Hate you all (on general principal) 16 7.62%
It's all good, I'm happy for him 30 14.29%
I hate the guy that's happy for him! 6 2.86%
I'll trade my sister for a plane ticket and a Duc 66 31.43%
25 11.90%
11 5.24%
37 17.62%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2002, 08:55 AM   #51
Karlton_Hamilton
Registered Member

Default 999 will take getting used to

Guys & Ladies,

I don't like the looks of the 999 as a 1st impression, but imagine that it will grow on me. Lots of things take getting used to. That said, the first time I saw a 916--wow!

Regards,

Karl

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2002, 11:19 AM   #52
wwjdwithca
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati 999 Reader Feedback

The 999 is a great next generation Superbike. The reason you need it "To grow on you" is because it's such a radical design. Futuristic designs many times must be soaked-in or it really wouldn't be art. The 916 was a very nice design, but it certainly was NOT a radical departure from traditional motorcycle design. The Audi TT for me draws a similar comparison; I saw the TT for the first time at an auto show, and my reaction was, "Cool! Isn't it? What is it?" And I walked away wondering why there was so much "To Do" over it. Now I feel like it's one of the best Car designs in the last 10 years. Look how Nissan has copied it with their 350Z.

And please, please, pleeeease do not compare this bike to anything from Japan. Many of us in the Cycle Kingdom value the "C" word.....Character. Twins simply make wonderful, I mean WONDERFUL noises that few Japenese bikes are capable of, and the ones that do have no distinctive design elements to separate them from the pack.

Six grand extra? NO PROBLEM! Just don't be jealous when nobody even notices your Gixer when I pull into the gas station. Should have "Paid the Piper" in the first place, and they'd be walking arond your machine too. Don't even try to brag about power. Nobody cares!
wwjdwithca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:59 PM   #53
sarnali
Founding Member

Character is just as subjective as design, I personnaly find well engineered machines that combine exemplory power, handling, and reliability, with class leading, cutting edge technology, to be just as desirable, if not more so than a machine that is less-so in one area or another, while I appreciate Ducatis, moto-guzzi's Harley's, aprillia's and other "character filled" machines I don't think they are intrinsicly better than Japanese bikes because they come from a smaller manufacturer , I think a crisp running inline triple or four with a performance can at about 9k rpm gets my blood pumpin' pretty good, combine that with relitive comfort and peg-scraping cornering ability and you have a total package thats hard to beat. To me riding isn't about how much I paid or whether or not some nob at gas station looks at my bike, it's about what give my nuts a twist everytime I ride it, I'm not dissing twins, I'm just saying character, like design is a very subjective subject, you can be sure I'm just as happy on my 9k Suzuki as you are on your 17k Duc or 20k HD
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 01:53 PM   #54
Minister
Founding Member

Agree with you entirely, Addict.

When I saw the first 916, I was entranced. Still am.

When I saw the 999, I was repelled. Too bad alll the nice mechanical/ergo bits get wrapped in such busy, directionless skin. --- Minister
Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 01:55 PM   #55
redexces
Founding Member

I suppose a semantic argument can be made about originality and innovation. Call it whatever you wish, but truth be told, as you acknowledge, the Japanese transformed the industry, they made the commitment to make change happen. The same opportunity was available to everyone else, but of course most of them have been relegated to the dustbin of history. Once the Euro's realized they were being marginalized by the Japanese, they got with the program of modernization, but not without near extinction. Competition in the marketplace will do that.

Personally, as a design engineer, I have a hunch that the leading engineers at Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki would beg to differ with the characterization that they lack originality and innovation. That's an old stereotype whose time has long passed. In a day of worldwide collaboration and communication, that couldn't be further from the truth. Technical innovation comes from the far east in spades, I see it nearly every day in the tech business.

Your argument that originality has little to do with the production of top notch equipment is a double edged sword. By this argument, the inventor of the wheel trumps everyone whose product includes a wheel! In this light, the Euro's are just guilty as the Japanese. Let's face it, where motorcycles are concerned (and many other sectors as well), marketplace competition today ensures that technical innovation is incremental, evolutionary, such is the refined state of technology today. When one competitor comes up with something a bit newer in the evolutionary process, the competition/market quickly accepts or rejects such ideas....any the cycle continues, in both directions.

The Japanese hire western designers, particularly those in California, but then so do GM, BMW, and several others. That's not an indication of their own "failing"; when you want to capture the latest design trends in your target market, smart money says you set-up shop where the action is.

This has been an interesting topic of debate. I would hope that people would begin to see things with a broader scope. We all have our biases and preferences, but that shouldn't obscure the understanding that significant contributions come from all sides.
redexces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:27 PM   #56
redexces
Founding Member

Anyone who pays an extra 6k simply to turn heads at the gas pump is probably not a true motorcyclist....Poser is more appropo. Besides, I can think of better places to get attention if that's what I want
Old 10-19-2002, 04:46 PM   #57
redexces
Founding Member

PS. Perhaps one should use an expression other than "grow on you". With few exceptions, things that "grow on you" are not so desireable.... warts, beer gut, nose and ear hair, etc. At the risk of offending the fairer sex among us, the only thing desireable in this category are boobs on a babe
Old 10-19-2002, 05:03 PM   #58
redexces
Founding Member

Hmm... beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. I'm just wondering how big your nose will become.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:40 PM   #59
12er
Founding Member

One of my best posing memories was with my bro on his 996 and me on my 00 KLR 650. I had a guy come up and fall all over my KLR and totally ignore my bro's 996. He went on and on about how he always wanted a KLR but couldnt bring himself to buy one when they were as MO put it, running the "Malibu Ken" paint schemes. Granted the 00 KLR was a dark olive drab, it had no pink, teal, baby blue or orange on it like so many earlier models.

I could see my bro posing like Vanna White in the background just waiting for the guy to go ga ga over his 996, never happened. I get a $hit eating grin every time I think about it, just too funny...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 05:57 PM   #60
sarnali
Founding Member

my bro has a KLR 650, that is one seriosly fun bike, I was thinking of getting one myself ,or a PE something suzuki, lots of logging roads near me to check out!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote