Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: Yeah, so Yossef's in Italy on the 999 and I'm not. Thus, I:
Hate that stinking bastage! 19 9.05%
Hate you all (on general principal) 16 7.62%
It's all good, I'm happy for him 30 14.29%
I hate the guy that's happy for him! 6 2.86%
I'll trade my sister for a plane ticket and a Duc 66 31.43%
25 11.90%
11 5.24%
37 17.62%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2002, 09:48 AM   #161
zaku
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati 999 Reader Feedback

The design actually looks more Japanese than Italian (like something you would see in a Japanese cartoon). When I first saw the word Ducati on top of the picture, I thought it was the new 900 supersport model, not a Ducati superbike. The design is nice, but I wouldn't call it a "radical design".

Let's be realistic. Just because it's made by Ducati, doesn't mean that it's the greatest. Sure Ducatis are beautiful machines, but they're far from perfect. They're not as dependable as the Japanese bikes. And does it really matter who builds it? A good design is a good design....bad ones are just bad.

*"Dependable" is also another form of character, isn't it?

I've ridden all kinds of bikes and love them all! To limit yourself to one make/style is silly. To use any bike as a status symbol is just plain dumb. Unless you're the one that design & build the machine, then you have nothing to brag about. So you bought it with your own money...we all do (unless you're a friggin thief). Surely, you can't use that to elevate yourself above others....

As far as power goes, it's important! Ducati cares! You think for a second that Ducati is going to build a superbike that is underpower? They've been beaten in their own land by Honda! And power is what twins are all about...putting the power to the ground, getting a nice drive through the corner, on to a straight...listening to the sweet sound of twins coming alive (any twins). Well OK, if you just gonna sit around at gas station then perhaps, power is not important, just as long as the bike is nice and pretty.....

zaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2002, 02:07 PM   #162
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Poor loser???

Look you are just pissed that lost the Japanese aren't inovators argument. So you strike back with this. Admit you were wrong and move on. Learn from it.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 02:11 PM   #163
KPaulCook
Banned

Default You and longride have something in common.

I didn't respond to your question because it is not relavant to the debate. You think, as longride does, that the Japanese are just copycats. I pointed out you guys were wrong. Now you aren't man enough to concede the points so you and longride, start attackly me personally. Both of you need to grow up and attack the ideas not the person.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 04:03 PM   #164
Jake18
Registered Member

The 999 in person is drop dead gorgeous. I wasn't sure if I would like it based on the pictures, but it really works in the flesh. The exhaust will need to be changed, but that's pretty much true of every other bike as well. I thought the 916 was fantastic in the beginning (still do) and think the 999 is carrying on the tradition. The fact so many reviewers are liking its performance makes it look like this bike will do well if the economy can recover. Hope to ride one tomorrow. I had one of the first R1s in Southern Cal and thought it was the best looking Japanese bike ever. It still is.
Jake18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #165
Zenhog
Registered Member

You must see the bike in person. I was non commital until I went into a dealership last Saturday. It is incredibly beautiful and the craftsmanship is superb! I was never really into Ducatis, but I am now a convert.
Zenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:00 AM   #166
ted38
Founding Member

I OWN a 999 (I'm not commenting on a bike I have never ridden and no sour grapes for a bike I can't afford). This bike is brilliant. It has the broadest power band of any bike I've ever ridden- you have to feel the INSTANT power to believe it. It's comfortable enough for 500 mile days (I have ridden it from the bottom of California to the top) and it is absolutely turbulence free- air is either not hitting your body or it's absolutely clean and the adjustable ergonomics make the bike feel like it was made for you by god. Last but not least it handles like it's reading your mind.

As for it's visual appearance, everything about the bikes lines serve a purpose and like a beautiful woman who also has character, similar interests, and strong moral fiber yet loves to, well you get the idea, she just keeps getting more and more beautiful. And this leads me to my final and very personal point. In my opinion, most super bikes today look like pregnant guppies designed with 8th grade boys as there focus group. Gaudy decals, strips, stickers, and logos (everywhere). I can't imagine what people are concerned about in regard to the 999. On it's own the 999 is a work of art and contrasted to other sport bikes the 999 is truly the Ferrari of motorcycles- definitely not designed with a focus group but rather the vision of one man. Again a true work of art and the best Ducati superbike thus far.
ted38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:06 AM   #167
ted38
Founding Member

I OWN a 999 (I'm not commenting on a bike I have never ridden and no sour grapes for a bike I can't afford). This bike is brilliant. It has the broadest power band of any bike I've ever ridden- you have to feel the INSTANT power to believe it. It's comfortable enough for 500 mile days (I have ridden it from the bottom of California to the top) and it is absolutely turbulence free- air is either not hitting your body or it's absolutely clean and the adjustable ergonomics make the bike feel like it was made for you by god. Last but not least it handles like it's reading your mind.

As for it's visual appearance, everything about the bikes lines serve a purpose and like a beautiful woman who also has character, similar interests, and strong moral fiber yet loves to, well you get the idea, she just keeps getting more and more beautiful. And this leads me to my final and very personal point. In my opinion, most super bikes today look like pregnant guppies designed with 8th grade boys as there focus group. Gaudy decals, strips, stickers, and logos (everywhere). I can't imagine what people are concerned about in regard to the 999. On it's own the 999 is a work of art and contrasted to other sport bikes the 999 is truly the Ferrari of motorcycles- definitely not designed with a focus group but rather the vision of one man. Again a true work of art and the best Ducati superbike thus far.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:11 AM   #168
ted38
Founding Member

Old 03-26-2003, 04:05 PM   #169
RAD_DUCK
Founding Member

ferrari's are beautiful

the 999 is a locomotive with a toaster up its ass

why oh why did Tamburini leave
RAD_DUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:11 PM   #170
kjam68
Registered Member

I have a brand new 999 and it is the best bike I have ever owned. Tractable power, great brakes, unique looks make this bike second to none. I understand if you can't afford one, but the Japanese bikes are all the same. No sex appeal and everybody has or can get one. I'll stick with the Duck. Have fun with the lemmings.
kjam68 is offline   Reply With Quote