Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: Yeah, so Yossef's in Italy on the 999 and I'm not. Thus, I:
Hate that stinking bastage! 19 9.05%
Hate you all (on general principal) 16 7.62%
It's all good, I'm happy for him 30 14.29%
I hate the guy that's happy for him! 6 2.86%
I'll trade my sister for a plane ticket and a Duc 66 31.43%
25 11.90%
11 5.24%
37 17.62%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2002, 02:57 PM   #131
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Honda Original thought 1

"A new two-stage ram-air system supplies cool, pressurized air to the larger airbox and on to the "Dual Stage Fuel Injection (DSFI) system" that features two injectors per cylinder-one upper and one lower. The 40mm throttle bodies are controlled by an ECU that senses rpm and throttle opening. At lower rpm, only the lower injector functions, enhancing rideability. Above 5500 rpm, both injectors are activated to improve top-end horsepower. "

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/news.asp?News=1&ID=3735

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2002, 02:59 PM   #132
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Honda Original thought #2

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/galler...cept+Bike&z=16
Old 10-21-2002, 03:03 PM   #133
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Honda original thought #3

http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/motor... elId=VFR8003#
Old 10-21-2002, 03:04 PM   #134
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Honda Original thought #4

http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/motor...elId=MCPREVMEC
Old 10-21-2002, 03:08 PM   #135
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Suzuki original thought

"The B-King is loaded with electronic features, such as an ignition switch triggered by fingerprint recognition. There’s Star Trek Voyager-style on-board diagnostics via multiple sensors, whose values all have to be in the green or appropriate warnings come up on a screen - or even as verbal warnings via the in-helmet headphones! "

From http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/news.asp?News=1&ID=3804

Old 10-21-2002, 03:11 PM   #136
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Don't agree, just b1tching.

Well said man.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:17 PM   #137
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Electronics innovation

Hey I worked on ARINC 629 and MIL Std 1553 punk. Japanese have used a databus in several of their industries ships, planes, cars, etc. Geez is that the best you can do .
Old 10-21-2002, 03:18 PM   #138
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Electronics innovation

Thanks man.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:21 PM   #139
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Right on

More wallpapers I make my own screensavers. Even though I am critical of the Duc 999 er 666 I have had several favorable comments about my latest screensaver featuring it. If you want some advertizing on it put MotorcycleOline on the bottom.

Old 10-21-2002, 03:30 PM   #140
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Give ME a break KPaul

I have been following this thread with interest for the past couple of hours (beats working anyway!).

First, in general, I have found myself mostly in agreement with your side of the discussion. On the other hand, I would disagree with your pessimistic assessment of the IQ distribution of motorcyclists.

I find that internet forums, regardless of topic, frequently break down to name-calling and cheap shots -- even in the midst of otherwise thoughtful and articulate posts. I cite as an example how this thread degenerated into accusations of racism. You did not accuse the original poster who remarked that the Japanese seldom produced original ideas of being racist, and, while I tend to disagree with his assertion, I did not read any racist intent in his comment. Nevertheless, a few inches further down the screen I find that term being thrown around with abandon.

As to the validity of that original assertion, I think it depends on what one means by "original idea". In an extreme sense, there are literally NO original ideas in motorcycling. I could argue that original ideas originate from pure sciences only, that by definition engineering is not original. This would suggest that Newton's mythical apple, or Einsteins theories of relativity are possibly original but that even most of what passes for pure science is more evolutionary than original -- the axiom that "genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" comes to mind.

As someone noted in this thread, the Japanese acknowledge that they need to become better at developing new ideas -- I believe that they are referring to pure research, however. I think there may in fact be a connection to their educational system and to a cultural tradition which values authority and conformity. The same could also be said, at least in some degree, about Germans, however.

Cultural values, governmental and other social structures, and especially educational systems DO have a profound impact on the products developed and sold. German cars are clearly different from Italian, French or British cars. However, for better or worse, the globalization of our society and of major industry is blurring these distinctions.

When the subject is motorcycles (or cars, as suggested elsewhere in this thread), most of the critizism leveled at supposedly derivative Japanese products is directed at esthetics more than technology. There may be some validity to this. At least in the past, the home-grown Japanese asthetic model has been very different from that of the western world, as can be seen in their art, literature, fashion, architecture etc -- much more ornate, visually busy, compared to the more cool, stark European asthetic. When Japanese manufacturers began competing in the world market, they quickly discovered that Europeans and to a lesser extent Americans preferred a much more clean, less ornate look. They quickly learned to either outsource design to Bertone etc or to hire designers from European and American design schools.

This is much more the case with cars than with motorcycles. While they were probably not the first to build a large-displacement inline 4 bike, they certainly popularized the concept. When they first introduced sportbikes, they were not copied from the (few) European faired sportbikes -- they reflected some influence from British cafe racers, but with a more Oriental flavor. Over time, these evolved into something closer to the fairings used for racing, but here they were copying their own designs as much as anyone elses.

As to Japanese alleged Harley copies, this is largely a matter of Harley having left a big hole in their own lineup -- traditional style with modern reliability and performance at less than $20,000. Besides Harley themselves are doing little more than making their own copies -- of the old Harleys that private owners were customizing back in the 60s. Everybody copies something. This seems particulary true now, where the market seems responsive to updated versions of, or modern designs inspired by, old designs -- look at the New Beetle, PT Cruiser, T-Bird, Mini, or on two wheels, Triumph Bonnyville, naked Kawasakis, MH Ducati, Indians, Hendersons, Victory, etc.

In motorcycle technology, perhaps most of what the Japanese have introduced was done by someone before -- there has been very little new breakthrough technology in the past 50 years, and virtually every advancement was borrowed from somewhere else (eg disk brakes borrowed from cars, which borrowed them from aircraft). Aside from electronics and out of sight stuff like metalurgy, and tire design, virtually everything in a current state-of- the-art motorcycle is an evolutionary development of technology which existed more than 50 years ago. When somebody DOES come up with something innovative, we don't buy it (eg non-fork front suspension systems). Face it, what new ideas has Ducati introduced? Triumph? Moto Guzzi? BMW?

I am personally a big fan of European bikes -- my last two bikes were a Ducati and a BMW -- but they would still not be worth a damn if it had not been that they had to adapt to compete with the Japanese bikes. I would argue that there is at least as much Japanese influence in my Ducati as there is European or American influence on any Honda, whether you are talking about aesthetics or technology.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote