Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Product Review: ComforTemp Jacket (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1425-product-review-comfortemp-jacket.html)

gnvdallas 10-16-2002 05:05 PM

Re: Product Review: ComforTemp Jacket

Say what?!?! They must be joking, paraffin particles retain heat and then release when needed? What will they think of next?

timesheet 10-16-2002 07:17 PM

Man, I gotta get me some o' them German microcapsules!

DucButt 10-16-2002 07:44 PM

That dude looks pretty spiffy in the jacket, but I miss Conway Twitty and the Flavor Savers...

dcnnj 10-16-2002 08:51 PM

Burns is clearly a philistine

Yeesh John. First you go spoutin' off at the mouth, actin' all holier than thou. Then you turn up with a Beemer jacket drinking a martini. We know your secret, though. You're just one of us dirty hillbillies at heart. Looks like you are drinking a martini loaded down with olive juice. I bet you it's even made with vodka, huh?

When are you going to do the cold weather comparo? Oh, wait, you are in SoCal. Cold for you is 68. Not that I am bitter...

I would be interested in hearing about the weather handling characteristics of various shells and insulators. Or, even just an informal survey of what the popular jackets, pants, and gloves are. Pull the clothing thread for us big guy.

mariano1 10-16-2002 10:31 PM

I have been using this jacket for over a year now under my outer riding jacket. And it works.

I don't know if it is "change of phase" related, but I can ride comfortably at 10 ºC (50 ºF), park the bike, get into a pub at 25 ºC (77º F) and I don't feel the need to remove ANY jacket.

All I can say is that the end result is as advertised.

NAWOW 10-16-2002 10:49 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a comparo: ComforTemp vs an ordinary lightweight wool sweater under your riding suit. Think there'd be any difference?

If not, it would put the BMW adcopy wordsmiths out of a job.

And what about when it rains? Wet wool sure beats wet cotton or nylon for keeping you warm. But then again, it gets heavy when it's wet -- detriment to ET in the 1/4 mile runs......

twister299 10-17-2002 02:31 AM

This is all well and good for you fols trying to get in a lttle more riding before the snow. But what about us poor soals in the deep southeast. How do we get cool enough to ride protected in the Florida summer. While you guys up north are getting ready to put the bike away, we in the south are just getting ready for the good riding weather.

keebler 10-17-2002 03:09 AM

ComforTemp Gloves

Disclaimer: I am currently employed at a BMW motorcycle dealership in Denver. I started working there in April 2002. However, I make no commission on the sale of BMW apparel.

Back in May I had to leave after work in Denver and ride up to Fort Collins and back, about 150 miles total. It was a cool but dry day when I rode to work in my midweight gloves, but the weather turned uglier as the day went by and around quitting time it was 38 degrees outside and raining sideways. All of me was waterproof except my hands, but even with heated grips, plain leather wasn't going to be much good. So I took advantage of my newly vested employee discount and bought a pair of BMW ComforTemp gloves.

When I got to Ft. Collins, my body was alternating between freezing and merely suffering, but my hands were just...fine. Neither warm nor cold, just...fine.

The store I went to Ft. Collins for was closed, of course, so I pulled in to a gas station to top off and head home. When I pulled up to the pump, the first thing I noticed is that my grips were off—and had been for the entire trip. I stripped off the gloves to gas up, and that's when I found out what a good job the gloves had been doing. By the time I finished fueling, my hands were so stiff from cold that I could barely drag the gloves back over my hands.

By the time I got back home, my hands were once again just...fine.

I know it's anticlimactic to say my hands were fine, but that's my only perception: My body was freezing or sweating depending on whether traffic was moving or stopped, but while my body was putting up with all that, my hands felt like they were back home in the living room: so comfortable you don't even know they're there.

I've talked to some fairly serious LD riders who wear ComforTemp under their gear, and to a man they're pleased. One fellow rode across Arizona wearing the jacket, and he had it on from about 35F up to 85F in a single day before stripping it off. The secret seems to be that instead of simply insulating, this stuff regulates temperature, evening out temperature variations so that you body is in working in a more stable environment—which it adapts to a lot better.

BMW isn't the only company that makes phase change clothing, and it probably isn't the cheapest, either. But if the ComforTemp undersuit works as well as the ComforTemp gloves, I'll be wearing it this winter instead of all the bulky fleece.

Here's a question: should the electric vest go on over the ComforTemp, or under it?

seruzawa 10-17-2002 03:43 AM

Re: Burns is clearly a philistine

At least Burnsie finally 86ed the beard.

keebler 10-17-2002 04:00 AM

Joe Rocket makes some decent mesh gear, about as comfortable as shorts and a tee. Carry a rain suit with you so when it gets cooler out you put that on over the Joe Rocket to keep the wind out.

I've had the chance to test drive a Vanson perf jacket and a BMW Airflow jacket, and both are nearly teeshirt comfortable if there's the slightest are movement.

Disclaimer: I work at a BMW motorcycle dealership but receive no commission from the sale of apparel.