Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-15-2002, 09:20 PM   #1
richardnixon
Registered Member

Default Re: Held Gear Review Feedback

I purchased a pair of the kangaroo palm Held gloves a few years back. They have been far and away the best gloves I have ever owned. They beat the other brands I have tried (Alpinestars, Olympia, Dainese) hands down. They have also held up incredibly well. I just purchased my second pair, but they were very hard to find. I had to go back to Scuderia West in San Francisco where I purchased the firsst pair. Hopefully the new distributor will make them easier to find here in SoCal.
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2002, 03:10 AM   #2
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

I too can attest to the quality of Held's gloves. I bought my first pair in '99 (I think it was the 2265 model...now discontinued?). Anyway, it was a summer-weight model with breathable material on the outside and the roo leather on the palm/fingers. They are washable. The glove also has brass studs and padding in the palms, which helped me tremendously when I hit a deer at about 50! I'm still wearing the gloves.

I later bought a pair of 2277's, which are still featured on their website. These are even better than the summer weight gloves. You can fetch your gas card out of your wallet with these gloves on and the protection, IMHO, is top rate.
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 05:47 AM   #3
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default I'd buy if I could

but the few stores around here have virtually no selection and inventory. I've been looking for a decent 2-piece rainsuit size XL for months. Gloves in size medium? Forget it. I found a First Gear Scout jacket on a close out rack in my size last year, so I bought it and love it.

Mail-order you say? That's okay for Tourmaster, but Intersport Fashions doesn't allow mail-order. Yet their 1 dealer, listed for the entire state of Arizona carries virtually no inventory. Same with Arai. My noggin is an XXL Quantum, and no one keeps one of those on the shelf.

I could understand this if I lived in Wakarusa, KS, or Soda Springs, ID, but I live in Phoenix, 14th largest SMSA, population 3.24 million in 2000. There's something wrong with this picture. We've got 2 CycleGear stores, which are okay, but they carry mostly their own brands and Joe Rocket.

Do you guys in Southern California have lots of big stores with lots of great inventory? I wish someone would start a chain of discount motorcycle gear superstores, so this stuff would be available. Mail order is a poor substitute, but it's better than nothing.

Rant over.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:18 AM   #4
piercejr
Registered Member

I've had a pair of 2273 Udo Marks (in black) that I bought from Helimot in San Jose about 3 years ago and have been wearing daily... I still love them 33000 miles later

I was looking over the new ones at a local dealer, I think a bunch of the newer models were cheaper quality, and made in Indonesia or something, which is why Helimot stopped importing them. The 2273's are nowhere to be seen
piercejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:32 AM   #5
Huss
Founding Member

Default What review?

C'mon, that was pathetic. Enjoy your free swag for the product placement. Read Motorcycle Consumer News for an idea as to how to test gear, but you obviously do not care.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:14 AM   #6
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Default Online Store!

I think that MO should start a new policy of not reviewing gear unless the stuff is acutally available on some sort of level to the majority of riders. I've been thinking of getting new gloves, read the review and was intruiged. I went to the site found some I'd be interested in,l measured my hand and got ready to purchase. Ummmm.... Hmmmm... No online sales. Well, okay then they must have a really good network, so, click on Texas. One dealer listed for all of Texas.

So, what these guys apparently expect me to do is take a 6 hour round trip to austin, to buy a pair of their gloves. Nice. And thank god I don't live in El Paso, then I'd be looking at more like 8-10 hours.

Perhaps this is their way of encouraging me to acutally do an iron but ride? I'm not sure, but if so, do I really want to undertake that without all my gear, like say, gloves? This is just plain stupid.

And it isn't like I'm living in the middle of no where. Ever heard of Houston? Or Dallas even? Apparently this company hasn't, since their only distributer in Texas is in Austin. Jeeze.

Come on MO, push for change. Tell these fools that if the majority of your readers can't get the stuff easily, you are not going to bother giving them the space. Help us out here.

Shadowspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:35 AM   #7
richardnixon
Registered Member

Default Re: Online Store!

These are fantastic gloves that are consistently overlooked in the motorcycle press. Kudos to MO for bringing them to our collective attention.

Official mail order policy be damned. Give the nice folks at Sucderia West a call 415-621-7223. I bet they'll be able to help you out.
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:05 AM   #8
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: What review?

MCN is good, but the best product reviews

I've seen are in the Brit mag "RiDE".

They actually test for water resistence,

bursting strength, abrasion, etc.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:08 PM   #9
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: What review?

I agree, I had forgotten about them.

"We could go on for hours about various details, but that would be redundant all over again, because all the info we've got can be found at www.held-usa.com".

This is about as lazy as one can get. Hey, instead of providing details on bikes, how about a link to their web-sites? Great journalism...

Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:33 PM   #10
johnnyb
Founding Member

Or you could pick the ones you like from the all-inclusive website and measure your hand according to the simple instructions, call the shop in Dallas, and have the brown truck man bring what you need possibly the next day. Not as dramatic as like waiting for the Overland Stage, but relatively efficient. Gee, how did we buy things like gloves 20 years ago? I didn't know motorcycle gloves existed yet. *****, I don't think I wore gloves then....
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote