Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-16-2002, 12:44 PM   #71
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: How to Get Started in Road Racing

In the CMRA, they wouldn't even let you aart on an R1 (or at least, that was the rule when I started). Anyway, it is folly.

A slow bike is far, far better to start on. It is more fun and you will learn much faster. Starting on an R1 will make you unsafe and a road hazard to the other racers.

EVERY fast rider I know started on a slow bike. Every one.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2002, 05:31 PM   #72
strychnine
Registered Member

Obviously whenever your trying something new you don't buy the best, top of the line product for whatever your doing. Like if you are learning how to ski you won't get anywhere if you buy the most advanced and fastest ski's for the slopes. Just like that guy with the R1 won't win any races with his amazing bike because his bike far exceeds his skill..... This is all speculation maybe that man will be an anomoly or just suck it up on the track like everone is guessing. Anywho my question would be to you BBD_Racing, if we should all start on a slow bike what bike(s) would you recomend we start on. Also what class...should we start with? A middleweight 600cc bike a literbike or even the super lightwieght 200cc bikes? So if you could just throw out somes names of good beginner bikes and displacements that would be great. Thanks.
strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:08 PM   #73
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: Great Article Sean!

Sean,

Well said, I'm sorry my attempt at a joke led off in this direction.

FWIW, I'd still avoid calling an Irishman I didn't know a limey, not all are

as enlightened as you.

Cheers,

SlowBear

SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 05:36 AM   #74
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Well, if you look at all world champion moto and auto guys, they almost always start on the littlest of machines. All who followed the KR school (and that would be every single American champion) believes deeply in XR100's. All F1 guys started on the littlest of go carts.

Furthermore, I went to American Supercamp and it was the best thing I ever did, moto-wise. I now have a dirt bike and it is a great workout and a great teacher.

Hence, I'd say this: buy a dirt bike and slide around. Fall down a lot. Then start racing in the smallest class they have. The mini class (200lbs like me, that is not an option. I started on a Hawk in lightweight. Sean is using the Hawk's replacement in the marketplace. It is faster and easier to make it raceable.

I'd avoid 600's for two reasons. (a) they are still really freaking fast and the speed can cause you to have retarded cornering development. (b) the grids tend to be quite crowded - 30 beginners on 100hp bikes on the track at once is scary.

Also, lightweight bikes save a bunch of money. You will burn a set of tires every race weekend on a 600. On a Hawk, you will get two weekends, maybe more. That saves $150 every time you go to the track.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:21 AM   #75
racehawk
Founding Member

thanks, but i have plenty of half-ground off footpegs. I wonder if i could send them back to Woodcraft and get a discount on new ones?

by the way: i like the solid mounts for the fact that they don't move around underneath me, and i can feel what the bike is doing much better. my foot is big enough that i can usually feel my toe sliders scraping before the footpeg grounds out.
racehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:06 PM   #76
strychnine
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice man I really appreciate it, but I'm still a little confuse with just one thing. You think I should buy a 200 cc dirt bike (like the honda XR100) and race that even if I want to race street and not dirt? And if this is what I should be doing then how do I know when it's time to leave the dirt behind and go to the track?
strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:51 PM   #77
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

It depends on how badly you need to win. If you want to get to the point that you can really use 99.999% of your roadracer, than you need to get yourself a dirt or dual purpose (dirt) bike and spend some time with both ends sliding. I don't think the suggestion is that you "race" an XR-100. I think the idea is that you use it as a tool to build your skills, IN ADDITION to getting started in road racing.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:09 AM   #78
jstoker_1
Founding Member

This might be the wrong place, but...

If anyone from the more-or-less Atlanta area is reading this, where do you do your track riding? I am new to the area, and have found a couple of big tracks, but they don't have any real practice time, just the occassional expensive schools. Thanks.
jstoker_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 04:58 AM   #79
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Yes, exactly. The little bikes, especially dirt bikes, allow you to learn at a much faster rate than a big fast bike. You can crash an XR100 ten times in a day and have nothing but rug burn and a couple little bruises. Try that on an R1.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:41 AM   #80
smythie
Founding Member

Default Re: The Great Nickname Debate:

We've got a guy in our club we call Crash Bandicoot for the same reason. I reckon that one would stick well, though it might be a bit long for some.

Has "Rolly" been taken?