Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-12-2002, 10:47 AM   #21
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Footpegs and The Crash

I switched from folding foot pegs to solid mount, in June. Being a HEAVY rider in a Lightweight class, I regularly get out accelerated. I am forced to make up time via out braking and mid-corner speed. Before the switch, I had been folding the pegs against the pavement, like a poor man's lean indicator. I was used to this technique and evidently I didn't adjust my riding style enough. The crash was really my fault and the solid pegs were just a contributor.

The crash happened on Sunday, June 23rd, at the Buttonwillow Raceway round of the CCS Southwest and Pacific region Championships. It was lap 1, of the Expert Lightweight Superbike race. The other regular podium finishers in the series, Brian Long and Ryan Meskimen had gotten excellent starts from their 1st Row starting positions and were quickly gapping the field. I observed all of this, while starting from 13th position, back on Row 4. I pushed extremely hard through the first half of lap 1, so as not to let them get out of reach. I passed Tom Gentry for 3rd place in turn 9 and set off after Brian and Ryan. Two corners later, my over aggressiveness bit me. It was caused by levering too much weight off of the rear wheel, while at full lean, WFO at the top of 6th gear. As I slid along on my back, behind the bike, I kept changing the pressure points by lifting each shoulder, butt cheek, palm, heel etc in rotation so as not to wear through my old leathers or create any "hot spots". This was working well, until the bike and I left the track, still traveling over 90MPH. The bike stayed flat and skipped across the gravel, scratching the fairing, crushing the exhaust and breaking the exhaust hanger. I on the other hand, was not so lucky. When I hit the gravel, I started the dreaded washing machine tumble (This is the opening photo for the article). The final tally was: $590.00 for bike repairs, $300.00 for a used set of leathers, $190.00 for a new pair of boots, $119.00 for a new pair of gloves, $300.00 in insurance deductibles, and 6 fractures (nothing displaced). The good news is: IÂ’m mostly healed and I really needed new leathers, boots and gloves anyway. The bad news is: I lost my job in July and am forced to take a break from racing, due to a lack of disposable income and health insurance. As a man named Arnold once saidÂ…. IÂ’ll be back.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2002, 11:30 AM   #22
GSXR866
Founding Member

Default Re: How to Get Started in Road Racing

Great Article, I am a CCS Loudon Road Racer and I found my start in racing to be very easy mostly due to the types of people you find at a racetrack.

I don't agree with the dual purpose race/street bike. A race bike should be just that. If your gonna get into racing then you should be serious about it and your machine should be serious about it. Lose the lights and the plates, you won't be needing them anymore.
GSXR866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 01:34 PM   #23
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

If you can't afford a dedicated race bike, the dual purpose route is the only way. There is also a lot to be said for getting to know the bike like the back of your hand... Spending time on the street has helped and vice versa.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:59 PM   #24
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Footpegs and The Crash

Happy to hear that you've healed well. Good luck in finding a new job. I would most likely leave the part about motorcycle racing out from your new insurance company's forms. (When you get them) I don't race myself but I know many people who do. It seems to me that they wreck and get hurt just often as my non-racing motorcycle riding friends. In fact with velocity squared in the formula for force, a wreak at 100mph should subject the body to significantly greater forces than a wreck at 45mph around town. Physics doesn't lie. I just don't buy a track being safer than the street. It's just more predictable and controllable. Anyway, I enjoyed the article.

I would suggest "Dusty" as a handle judging from you picture at the start of your article.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 03:46 PM   #25
painter_1
Founding Member

AMEN!!
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 03:55 PM   #26
painter_1
Founding Member

We had a guy racing a 76 GL1000 in the novice class in 1999 in wmrra. let me tell you that guy could ride, he would finish in the top 20. It was amazing to watch him slide that beast arround the corners. When he would come in from the race he would hook up the stero and jam while waiting for the next race. I kid you not. I think the results go back to 99 on the wmrra web site. www.wmrra.com
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 04:56 PM   #27
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Default Re: The Great Nickname Debate:

Considering how fond he is of SuperTT racing, I vote for "SuperTitty".

No?

If only he got his CR500 from Thrifty... He could've been Rentally Motarded.

Damn, this isn't going well.

SuperTitty?
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 07:16 PM   #28
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Memorrrriiiiieeeeesssssss...

I'm only 23, but I had a '76 GL1000 and that thing could move...stock they had 80hp and weighed about 650lbs. Sweet bike, nice and comfy.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 03:57 AM   #29
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Great Article Sean!

Well, we were just saving them from themselves, ever hear of the Paddy Factor? Outside of a relitive few extremists on both sides of the Northern Irish fence, most Irish don't hate anyone, they do love to ride though.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 07:39 AM   #30
Vlad
Registered Member

I think "Senor Bounce" would work well.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote