Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-12-2002, 04:00 AM   #11
mattg
Founding Member

Default Re: The Great Nickname Debate:

I put my vote in for whoops.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2002, 04:13 AM   #12
deanmass
Founding Member

Default Re: How to Get Started in Road Racing

For that quote, Yoda a good name for him is....mmmm...
deanmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 05:13 AM   #13
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Great Article Sean!

This is just what I have been looking for. Now the only thing in my way is getting the finances ready for an endeavour like this. And I'd better upgrade my medical insurance. Ah, what the hell! I play rugby, maybe I can get by without it. (I don't think so.) I think I'll start off on an Aprilia RS50 in AHRMA singles racing. Slow acceleration and low top speed = safety? And it's cheap. Then gradually work my way up as I get experienced. BTW, the Sharkskinz fairing is awfully cool.

Ummm.....nickname? Let's see. A red-head named Sean Alexander with a broken wrist and ankle. Must be Irish..... how about LIMEY, naahh too derogatory. He's awfully light skinned....let's call him....Powder!....you know like the movie!

Now Powder, about those leathers of yours. Almost new and 300 bucks, huh? What are they worth after a nice crash like that? I mean there must be a big discount for the monster stain left in the seat of your pants. Did you check and see if it was there before you bought it?

Thank you, very much, for writing this article.
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 05:27 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Can we set up a race between the Highwayman and KPaul somewhere? Hell, I would pay to watch that one. Really good article Sean. You will be pressing johnnyb for his job soon. All ya need is a 50psi hairdo and a bad attititude! JK johnny! For anyone that wants to start racing, this is a complete guide on how to get there. Sean heal up soon and tell us how that SV650 compares to, say a 81 Goldwing with Vetter bags and fairing. I always wanted to know that one.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:21 AM   #15
rsheidler
Founding Member

Good point.

While most new racers start like Sean did -- converting their street ride to race use -- prospective riders should at least consider buying a cheap, used race bike as an alternative.

Depending on how competitive you realistically expect to be, you can often find a prepped, 5-year old 600 race bike for $2-3,000. Then, you already have the exhaust, suspension bits etc that you will need soon anyway, plus if (when) you crash, you don't f@#k up your street ride.

The other thing to look at, depending on the classes offered locally, is smaller-displacement and/or singles/twins classes (bikes like 250 Ninjas, EX500s or any thumpers), or, if you are not afraid of a little wrenching, 125 gp bikes. Bikes are often available fairly cheap, as riders move up to faster classes, the bikes are easy to work on, easy to learn on and often the race fields are less crowded -- and fewer testosterone-overloaded squids thinking they will score factory rides in their first season racing

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 08:24 AM   #16
rsheidler
Founding Member

Damn, I was looking forward to seeing that R1100S out on the track
Old 10-12-2002, 08:37 AM   #17
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>Why I Don't Like Solid-Mount Footpegs,<<

Please elaorate -- I thought racers used solid-mount footpegs specifically for such circumstances (they work like frame sliders to protect other, more expensive and/or vulnerable parts).

Great article! Wanna see some stories about your CR500 motard as well.

Ciao!

Old 10-12-2002, 09:02 AM   #18
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: Great Article Sean!

Calling a redheaded Irishman with two limbs in a cast "Limey" is likely to get you beaten to death by a redheaded Irishman with two limbs in a cast. A Limey is English. Given the warm, loving feeling the Irish have for the English (something about centuries of oppression, murder and starvation) you can see why this might not be a good idea.

Your English, Irish, Scot (I fight with myself a lot) redheaded bear,

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 10:31 AM   #19
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Great Article Sean!

The raggedy old leathers in the photo are the ones I was wearing in the crash. The eBay leathers are the replacements. How convienient that I was looking to replace them anyway, when I crashed. (We should all be so fortunate.)
Old 10-12-2002, 10:34 AM   #20
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Except for a stiff and sore pinkie and a stiff right ankle, I'm all healed. The crash occured in July. The bike and I both are back on the road.