Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   MO Reader Feedback (
-   -   Product Review: Muzzy Pipes for ZRX1200R (

DeadVFR 10-14-2002 06:13 AM

Re: Product Review: Muzzy Pipes for ZRX1200R
I'd much have a 6th gear. In my neck of the woods, my fellow commuters travel at 75+ mph. This means I usually exceed 80 mph to avoid that 'about to be run over' sensation. 4500 rpm is just too dang buzzy for me for continuous commuting operation.

Perhaps I should just look around for a VFR 1200 instead.

remusr 10-14-2002 10:15 AM

Try Micron slipons for great NASCAR sound bytes. Don't know about perf increase as it went on my buddy's VFR at the dealer new.

crankin500 10-14-2002 03:29 PM

Re: Jet kit sticker shock
Check out the pricing on some jet kits!!! I recently bent over for a $65 jet kit for my klx 650 dual sport (single cylinder/carb). I was expecting some sort of magic parts but received a little plastic box with 2 jets, needle, regular old taiwan drill bit and a sheet metal screw. Next time I will just check to see what is in the kit and order the parts separately from at a small fraction of the cost.

Rafi 10-15-2002 03:37 AM

Titanium has always been cheap and Russia (or the USSR, depending on how far back you go). But they just knew they could gouge us on the prices all these years (same with Aluminum). My friend in Poland buys titanium tire irons at the local flea market for super-cheap, and makes stuff out of them (he made a floating diver's knife once). But everything I've heard about working with the stuff dissuades me from trying it on my own.

bwarbiany23 10-15-2002 06:20 AM

Looking at that dyno, methinks either Kawi made a heck of a stock system (not likely), or you need a re-jet... There were almost no power gains short of up top... Time to try some Factory Pro lovin' on that sucker!

El_Flaco 10-15-2002 06:21 AM

working with Ti
That's cool about your friend in Poland making cool stuff out of "scrap" titanium. I tried to forge a knife out of a chunk I had... it went OK, but ended up looking more like a butter knife. I don't really know what the working did to the inherent properties of the alloy I was using. But it's fun to try. There's getting to be more and more literature out there about it- get out and try! What's the worst that could happen? (Ka-Boom! Oh, whups, never mind...)

motoman_1 10-15-2002 10:24 AM

I have thought the same thing and resisted buying the bike just for this reason, unfortunately, Kawasaki doesn't seem to be capable of making a 1100 with a six speed that will hold up....I bought a zrx and found my reservations to be founded.

badinfluence 10-15-2002 10:32 AM

Re: spring performance
Changing the spring changes the rate of exhaust advance through the system. A heavier spring will delay full exhaust advance until higher in the RPM range, taking a little bit of power from the bottom end, but giving it more at the top. A lighter spring does just the opposite, giving full exhaust advance at a lower RPM and thus more torque at the expense of high RPM horsepower.

You can tune the exhaust in this manner for short or twisty tracks where off-the-corner acceleration is most important or for long top end tracks like Daytona. So always carry several different tension exhaust springs with you.

Holy_Kaw 10-16-2002 08:20 AM

Love my '02 Rex but would like to open up the top end, it feels "choked" past 8000rpm. Any info on Ivans jet kit? I've heard of the airbox mod but would like to know more before randomly drilling around. I'm planning on the Muzzy pipe (maybe after the warranty expires) but am open to any verified (dyno) hop-up info. Eagerly await wrap-up of test.

BBD_Racing 10-16-2002 10:15 AM

Well said Flake-Man.

Ti is plentiful, but a royal pain to do anything with. Just extracting it is nasty:

Steel: pour lots of iron ore into big bucket. Heat. Blow in lots of CO2. Pour off molten steel. Add alloying elements as required.

Ti: Oh dear God. Multi step process including huge vats of acid, several intermediate compounds and finishing in a 99.99% pure copper crucible heated thru induction in a vacuum or noble gas atmosphere.

Then you gotta try to make something out of it. I wonder if anybody has done any powder mettalurgy work with Ti. Its been a ling time since I worked in that area.