Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-09-2002, 05:29 PM   #1
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Bravo!

Very interesting and informative tech article. Great job to Jeff in explaining the whole hoodoo of the new brake technologies out there.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2002, 05:31 PM   #2
Tristan7
Founding Member

Default Re: Why Radial Brakes?

Ha! I see right through this money-making plot... The one advantage of this system not mentioned here is ease of upgrade to larger rotors. How long do you think it will take the OEM's and aftermarket companies to start churning out "upgrade kits" consisting of last year's bigger rotors and a couple 50 cent spacers?
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:56 PM   #3
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Won't work. Expand the radius and the holes don't line up any more, since the mounting studs get farther apart as the radius gets larger.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:59 PM   #4
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Looks to me like the studs are parallel. The bracket itself tapers to the fork, but (I think)where the studs are all is parallel.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:23 PM   #5
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default I find the black coating to be much cooler

Not much said about it, but the super slick black coating on the new GSXR forks has me drooling more than the new brakes.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 04:44 AM   #6
navion_pa1
Founding Member

Great Write Up,

I would like see more of this type.

navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 04:49 AM   #7
Bowtie
Founding Member

Nice article on the differences between the perpendicular and radial mount setup. But IÂ’ve always felt good linear feel was more important then overall braking performance, and some manufactures carry that initial braking bite a little too far, where they just about launch you over the top when first applied. This makes them very hard to control in emergency situations. I also have never understood way the Japanese manufactures donÂ’t use braided steel brake lines, which is probably one of the best bang for the buck up grades you can do for your brakes. Would it really cost them that much more?
Old 10-10-2002, 05:10 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Better technology can be a good thing. However, since the lap times attained by riders haven't changed appreciably in over ten years (read Keith Code's book) there seems to be little point to the exercise except to get riders to buy new bikes more often than they otherwise would. All the improvements in sportbikes in the last decade haven't seemed to translate into faster track times or measurable street safety gains.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:59 AM   #9
Sparky_1
Founding Member

This is information I like to see. Doesn't have to be a long winded article. Keep it up.
Sparky_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:31 AM   #10
CBRRRRRR
Founding Member

Well, neither has Keith Code's books seen appreciable changes in the last 10 years or so...

Still, lap records are being broken again and again every year, by same/different riders.

What's an "appreciable change"? sometimes 0.001 second change takes huge amounts of horsepower (i.e. VIR second race). Remember that at race speeds air resistance increases by a third degree with each increase in velocity!

I think tire technology has improved much in the last decade, and today it's probably the most dominant factor influencing lap times.

I wasn't riding my CBR600F2 a decade ago, when it was brand new, but I'm sure today it's much quicker around the corners and safer with the street/sport tires that I use now, which are better than the superbike tires of a decade ago!