Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #61
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi V11 Scura vs Moto Guzzi Le Mans

FWIW, that is how the late, great Gordon Jennings explained it. The "normal" bike puts the energy into the frame in a direction that has a lot of strength and mass, a "sideways" bike like a Guzzi or a BMW puts the energy into the frame in an area that can flex (vibrate) a bit more easily.

I think (but can't prove) that the firing order also has a lot to do with the vibration from the Guzzis and Beemers. The left side hits and everything jumps one way (the piston moves but the rest of the engine moves in the opposite direction in an amount roughly proportional to the mass of the piston and the mass of the engine), the right cylinder hits and the engine moves the opposite direction. With a bike like a Ducati or the Honda the motion is vertical for the rear (upright) cylinder and horizontal for the front cylinder.

I can say (and several others have said something like this already) that keeping the FI (or carbs for an old BMW) perfectly synchronized and matching the cylinders exactly helps a BMW a great deal and would, I'm pretty sure, also help the Guzzi. The "smoothes out with break-in" also, I think, are also related to this, if one cylinder has, for example, a little better ring seal when the engine is fresh a few miles may bring them closer to harmony.

The Guzzi sounds like a great bike for those of us too old for super sports and too young for a cruser, thanks for the report. I just made friends with a guy with a couple of year old Guzzi Jackal, I'm really looking for ward to a ride on a bike I've been interested in for years.

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2002, 12:47 PM   #62
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi V11 Scura Reader Feedback

I've owned two Ducs and rode Guzzi's, Buells and a Souped up Aprilla Falco. My previous bike was a Jap VTR1000. That twin was as good as any of my Italian bikes, actually better. But I will say, I love a trellis framed Italian. I now Own a 2002 VFR800, great bike. Best bike ever owned, but.......... I miss the torque of a v-twin. Now, If honda would put the VTR twin in the VFR, wait, then it would be a VTR. How about put the VFR ergo's on a VTR, now that would be sweet.

Once you have ridden a sweetheart with big jugs, your spoiled.
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:54 PM   #63
waepoint
Founding Member

A side comment:

In September, I spent a couple days riding around Milan/Lake Como/Bologna on a Monster, and saw one (1) Moto Guzzi among the herds of Ducs, Aprilias, BMWs, Hondas, etc. I asked around about this, and from my enormous sample of one (1) cabbie, I found out that "Italians don't like Moto Guzzi. They are OLD. But we love Harleys."

Wacky.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 01:04 PM   #64
Flickmeister
Registered Member

"Old age & treachery will defeat youth & talent everytime." If you are lucky to live through those death defying youth years, you outgrow the desire to have the latest, greatest two-wheeled techno wonder. Being the fastest gets replaced by having the most fun. It really is a lot more fun when you stop riding competitively (on the street) and ride for pure enjoyment. That doesn't mean you have to turn into a slow, pathetic old fart. It simply means you have enough reserve left so you can ride for pleasure and aren't scaring the ***** out of yourself when you crank it over. That's where the personality thing comes into play. My first experience was with a VFR800. It has TONS of personality if you put a Staintune on it. Next was a SV650. And now it's a Triumph Speed Triple. I'd rather have any of these bikes, or a Guzzi Scura than a GSXR1000. The fun things in life are about feelings and sensations. Nondescript just doesn't cut it for me anymore, no matter how competent. Getting away from the in-line four syndrome opens up a whole new world of motorcycling. Seen Guzzi's MGS/01 prototype? I'd sell my soul in a hearbeat.....Enjoy the ride. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 01:48 PM   #65
sarnali
Founding Member

That has got to be the most beautiful bike I've ever seen!! I've had a real jones for everything eye-tye since I was there in the '70's in the navy, but my god that is just drop dead gorgeous, I was planning on a speed triple for my next bike, but now I don't know, I don't mind a few idiosyncrasies in a jewel like that 'cause my suzuki is reliable as a brick, anyway good review, Italy is a beautiful place, bella italia, pax romana ciao, river-ditchi
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 02:18 PM   #66
Neal
Founding Member

Thanks for the great article Yoseff.This type of not quite mainstream article is exactly what several of us were asking for in the KTM post thread.I have lusted for a Guzzi for awhile(the LEMANS is my current favorite) but recently I have strayed,enticewd by the lusty young sexy KTM Vtwin.You pulled me back to the reality...for an oldtimer like me a sexy older sultry but not quite as fast Italian is what I need.Leave the young German bombshell to the younger guys.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 03:03 PM   #67
Citron
Founding Member

If you're enthralled with the idea of owning a retro bike, check out www.vincentmotors.com. Sure the Moto Guzzi is imbued with a storied tradition, but I like the looks of the brand new Vincent ... even though it has very little to do with the original Vincent.
Citron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:23 PM   #68
Tom_Price
Founding Member

Default Re: New Headlight Please...

Chalk me up for loving the single headlight on the Le Mans too. Very cool and practical. If you want a Japanese bike go get one!
Tom_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:08 PM   #69
Tom_Price
Founding Member

Default Hey MO get on the freeway!

Vincent... in San Diego? Where were the MO guys? Get on the freeway and go ride one. This is much better news than the Indian Harley clone ripoff. It looks like a real 2002 version of the beloved Vincent!
Tom_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:31 PM   #70
mxgb5
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi V11 Scura vs Moto Guzzi Le Mans

I apologize for being picky, since your reasoning is sound, but I'm curious about the terminology.

I believe that MG and BMW use longitudinally mounted twins and the Ducati and HD use transversly mounted engines.

The alignment terminology is based on the orientation of the crank shaft... so a BMW/MG crank runs from front to back... longitudinally, and the HD/Ducati runs sideways across the frame. Similarly, modern Japanese four-cylinder engines are transverse.
mxgb5 is offline   Reply With Quote