Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-09-2002, 08:34 AM   #41
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi V11 Scura Reader Feedback

I was just thinking the same thing. My slide rule broke so I was going to borrow his. I'm certain there is something from "the land" that is better than this! Maybe a kawasaki ex500?

Too bad there isn't a price/nerd ratio.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2002, 08:57 AM   #42
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: New Headlight Please...

Hey, Yossef, this guy with the Magni's got side bags, does that cross one off of your 'con' list?
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:02 AM   #43
akcarlson
Founding Member

Great article, great topic, great writing. Good job here.

Great bike, alhough it does list for exactly 10 times what I paid for my Hawk GT (which, from what I've been able to discern, is the cheapest way to get into V-twin sporting motorcycling).

There will be a Guzzi in my garage someday, and that day can't come soon enough.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:04 AM   #44
akcarlson
Founding Member

And, as per the staff instructions, since I've read the article and posted feedback, I have to go eat some cheese. And you all should do the same.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:09 AM   #45
guzzijason
Founding Member

Default Re: bags

They're not the best bags in the world, but they work. And I believe they expand to about 30 litres each, so if all you can fit in there is a g-string and toothbrush, you've got problems (or at least a woman that wears *really* big g-strings!

Granted, some nice locking hard bags would be ideal, and the Guzzi community has been begging for them for quite some time, but these semi-rigid nylon bags certainly work.

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport
guzzijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:20 AM   #46
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Guzzis seem to be at least as reliable as Harleys (and more reliable than Buells) if you ride them like Harleys. If you think about them as nice-handling cruisers rather than modern sportbikes, they are perfectly adequate.

But if you ride them as hard as you would ride a $7000 Japanese sportbike, you will have trouble. You will have oil leaks, and you will ultimately be disappointed.

Think of Guzzis as Harleys built by people who know how to perform the coital act properly, and you'll be happy as a little clam.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:40 AM   #47
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi V11 Scura vs Moto Guzzi Le Mans

The vibration is most likely caused by rocking couple due to the cylinders not sitting directly across from one another. This is necessary because room is needed for the two connecting rods and their separate journals on the on the crankshaft. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:52 AM   #48
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi V11 Scura vs Moto Guzzi Le Mans

I have a V11 Sport and the vibration was so bad, I started to second guess my decision to buy the bike. But after a few thousand miles, it has really settled down, and I added some bar-end mirrors (which look great, too), to smooth it out even more.

Seriously, my friend's BMW R1100S vibrates more than my V11 does now.

The bikes are heavy, but they are extremely stable. Modern? My bike has fuel-injection, inverted forks and top notch Brembo brakes.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:56 AM   #49
Zapata
Founding Member

Default Re: Gearbox and Headlight

I test rode a V11 and found the tranny smooth, but coming off a Sport 1100 ANYTHING would be smooth. Some owners, however, have reported problems with the new 6-speed, in particular a spring that likes to go south, thus rendering the whole unit useless. It's not a total disaster as it can be easily replaced -- if you can find the part. I think ZF or Getrag produces the 6-speed.

Yes, the 5-speed is clunky, but after 28K miles my Sport has smoothed out a bit. Always a cinch finding neutral. This is a tranny that must be shifted with deliberation -- no *****footing here. BMW synthetic is useful, along with a dab of engine grease or moly. And it helps to keep the clutch cable adjusted & lubed.

Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:01 AM   #50
Woody650
Founding Member

The bike does look a bit tall, but take off the bikini fairing, lose the tall mirrors and add some bar-end mirrors and the bike looks much lower, with the focus of attention the "flying-V" motor.

The V11 Sports do vibrate a lot through the bars when they're new. But a few thousand miles later, and especially with the aforementioned bar-end mirrors, and the vibrations are much, much less pronounced.

Oh...and the sound of the engine from aftermaket cans is something to behold!

It's not the newest or fastest bike, but it extremely satisfying and fun to ride. And they're rare enough to always draw a crowd!
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote