Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-09-2002, 04:26 AM   #21
guzzijason
Founding Member

Default Vibes.

The V11 seems to get a bad spin in many reviews. Let me just mention a few things:

1. Some folks are more sensitive to the vibes than others. While one person will find it unbearable, another person can ride the same bike and wonder what the big deal is. Personally, I've never had a real problem with it. It is a big pushrod twin, after all - if you're looking for 4-cylinder sportbike smoothness, forget about it!

2. The vibes greatly diminish as the motor breaks in. Note however, that common opinion is that Guzzi motors don't fully break in for about 10K miles (finding Guzzis with over 100K on the clock isn't that uncommon... these things were meant to be ridden long and hard!

3. Vibes also drop off significantly over 5K RPM. Spin that motor! The bike will love it!

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport
guzzijason is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2002, 04:35 AM   #22
Zapata
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi V11 Scura Reader Feedback

Granted, there have been quality control problems at Moto Guzzi, something that new customers shouldn't have to experience. Most of the glitches/problems, however, can be sorted by a competent dealer, or even an owner who can spin a wrench (Guzzis are easy to work on). At 28K miles my 97 Sport 1100 has been completely reliable, and it runs way better than when new. These bikes are definitely long-term affairs.

I've heard about excessive vibration at 4500 rpm on V11s (the Sport has a pleasant & reassuring "throb"). Balancing the throttle bodies and using good bar-ends helps, but apparently the vibration disappears as the miles increase. What people should remember is that these bikes (all MGs) don't really break-in until 5 or 10K miles (when folks on other bikes are ready to trade-in or sell).

97 Sporti

95 Alfa Romeo 164 5-speed
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:36 AM   #23
Tom_Price
Founding Member

Default Re: where are the OTHER pictures?

True, true, pattonme! This is what could separate MO from the "others". I was thinking very similarly. I would love to see these pictures also. I love Moto-Guzzis and would love to see their home. Hey MO how about them photos. It's not too late. Also send Yossef to Aprilia and don't wimp out on the photos this time.
Tom_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:57 AM   #24
Swisslegend
Founding Member

Oh Yea ! Yes baby, yes, yes. Mmmmm.

Problem is Guzzi is always about $1500.00 to $2000.00 overpriced.
Swisslegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:58 AM   #25
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: where are the OTHER pictures?

Here, here! I couldn't agree more. C'mon MO, spend a few megabytes and include a pile o pictures in every article.

The prose, however, was outstanding. Almost makes me want a Guzzi. They are pretty.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:03 AM   #26
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

Default Photos

Let's get back to the photos. I want the photos. I want to see the train station at Mario del Lario. I want to see the town and the factory. I want to see the Larioanas. Oh, yes, I want to see the Gootsies Tootsies too.
Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:09 AM   #27
dcopp
Founding Member

Default New Headlight Please...

Loved the article, great writing, brought out those things that make the Goose wonderful, and a pain. I've often wondered about vibrations that writers talk about, and pondered if it could be the road they ride, the tires on the bike not being balanced right, or wrong for that bike, the suspension not quiet set up right... Maybe it is the bike. Go Faster. Don't know. So many things, just airing out the old gray cells. Anyway, I've looked at Guzzi many times, sat on them, even ridden one, yes, just one, a Le Mans, and you know, I keep getting turned off by the headlight. I love the shape of the body, the lines of the fairing, the way the big ol' jugs stick out the sides (yes, I'm still talking about the bike). But with all that, the single, big, bug eye turns me off. It's okay on a naked bike or cruiser, but in a sport fairing, I wanna see two lights, or something. Vertical lights? Yeah. Now that would set me off on the Guzzi. As for the rest of the bike, love it's looks. The article was a good one. One we won't see in the rag press, I'm sure.
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:15 AM   #28
guzzijason
Founding Member

Default Re: New Headlight Please...

I agree somewhat... I'm not that fond of the fairing/headlight on the new LeMans, but have you seen a V11 Sport with an aftermarket Magni fairing? Gorgeous, IMHO:

Link to V11 w/ Magni

Personally, I prefer the one big, round headlight. Alot of the new dual-light designs repulse me (ie. 999).

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport
guzzijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:29 AM   #29
yoyo
Founding Member

There are 300 units worldwide and 70 for North America. I've had mine since March and I've had problems with tach fogging, dripping oil (gasket problem at oil drain plug), and dying when coming to a stop when engine is hot. I've always been a 4-cylinder type but, in spite of the minor but correctable nagging faults, I LOVE this bike. I think the vibration "problem" is WAY overstated. It handles great, the engine has to be ridden and heard to be belived, stops confidently, and my WIFE LOVES IT TOO. If you can find/afford one, I'd reccommend to buy it in a heartbeat.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:41 AM   #30
MaxAlien
Registered Member

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about older style powerplants. The way radial aircraft engines and most air-cooled twins look and sound gets me going big-time.

If standards are your bag, check out this little morsel:

2003 Moto Guzzi V750 Breva

Don't know if it'll be imported, though.
MaxAlien is offline   Reply With Quote