Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-29-2002, 07:23 PM   #1
Hadji
Founding Member

Default First Post! First Post!

Hell...you must have just posted the article. Now, I'll have to go back and read it!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2002, 08:02 PM   #2
ho0fart3d
Founding Member

Default Dyno graphs wrong?

In the article, MO repeatedly states that the Kawasaki has more power. But the dynos show another story. What's up?
ho0fart3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
ho0fart3d
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno graphs wrong?

Nevermind, I just read the last couple paragraphs.
ho0fart3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:07 PM   #4
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Not quite- it *feels* like it has more power and it sure seems faster in a straight line. Read Calvin's comments at the bottom of the story. The Kawasaki engineers must have built in a killer ram-air system or something...
Old 09-29-2002, 08:10 PM   #5
BorgBiker
Registered Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: Honda CBR1100XX vs. Kawasaki ZZ-R1200

Yes!! This is the test I've been waiting for!

Maybe Johnny B can help me understand something: Motorcyclist's test on the ZZR showed 145hp to the rear wheel, Cycle showed us 132hp to the back tire, and now I see you got 128.5. Why is that? Is it variances between individual models or dynos; differing test conditions; or something else?

I know you have experience with all three mags, so hopefully you can shed some light on this.

The ZZR will probably be my next bike. I loved the ZX11, and this seems to be a pumped up ZX11, with an nice suit on. Yes I dig the new bodywork.

Also, how about 1/4 mile numbers? Got any?

Kudos, I knew you guys must be busy doing something. I'd take an extended ride on these two bikes as well!
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:11 PM   #6
hackfu
Founding Member

The dyno graphs represent static power, while the power we felt while riding represents actual power. This is power that inlcludes things such as ram air and what not. Perhaps the conditions for the carb-shod ZZ-R was better on the day of the ride, while the FI equipped Honda had its day during the dyno run. Honestly we don't know.

Hmmm... come to think of it, the wider fairing on the ZZ-R might also be sleeker to the wind (more frontal area, but maybe less coeffecient of drag?).

These are all conjectures. Actually, it might be fun tol figure out a way to get some charged air into the intakes of future test bikes... that way, we could account for ram-air. The thing is, it would be effective only at a certain speed. I don't think we have enough resources to make a variable-type system.
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:12 PM   #7
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Special Delivery!

(Fed-Ex guy enters stage left)

"Hi, yeah, I'm here with this 'Worst Looking AeroStitch Ever' award. Could you please direct me to the guy with the hideous blue and orange suit and toss me a welding mask so that when I see him I don't go blind? Thanks."

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:21 PM   #8
BorgBiker
Registered Member

Also, one thing I had to assume: The ZZR went 170,and the XX went 175, right? It didn't make a clear distiction, but since 175 is close to what the CBR has done in the past, I figured that must be it's speed.

If that is the case, maybe the ZZR felt more powerful due to slightly lower gearing? We know it's predessor (the ZX11) would do 175-176, so lower gearing and more drag/better wind protection could be possible factors as well. Any thoughts?
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:36 PM   #9
hackfu
Founding Member

There you go. I totally forgot about the gearing... when I get into the office tommorow (around 1500pst) I'll look up the final drive ratios for both bikes in 4th gear (thats the gear we use for dyno-ing).
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 09:49 PM   #10
noble1
Founding Member

So how's the 'busa compare? Why'd it get left out?
noble1 is offline   Reply With Quote