Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Reader Feedback: Honda CBR1100XX vs. Kawasaki ZZ-R1200 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1402-reader-feedback-honda-cbr1100xx-vs-kawasaki-zz-r1200.html)

sarnali 09-30-2002 02:49 PM

Re: Reader Feedback: Honda CBR1100XX vs. Kawasaki ZZ-R1200

Wow, I guess I better look into that then,, thanx

sarnali 09-30-2002 02:59 PM

Re: Other things to look at that give Honda a edge. Kawasaki short comings

Some Honda charging systems fail quite frequently, If I was you I'd get [shameless plug] a SUZUKI !!!!!! yes I said SUZUKI !!!!,,,,, fast, smooth, powerfull and cheap! The new SUZUKI!!!!! BANDITO GRANDE`is the bike for you, young grasshopper, leave those lesser bike's behind as you motor off in comfort and style on the ALL NEW SUZUKI BANDIT today

itchface 09-30-2002 03:07 PM

Re: Reader Feedback: Honda CBR1100XX vs. Kawasaki ZZ-R1200

I thought those two words referenced the Jones families from California and Colorado.

Eric 09-30-2002 03:16 PM

Face it KPaul, you are going to end up on a Buell. Fuel injected, no valve maintenance, an allowed 5000 mile interval between oil changes (though I do it every 2500)(second parenthetical -- is that legal? -- I don't know the oil change schedule on the XB bikes), and (so far) good reliability on the firebolt. Next year when the long awaited replacement for the S3t appears (ok long awaited by the 15 or so people that actually bought one of the old ones and the 10 or so of us that wanted to), you are going to go to the dark side of antiquated technology. JOIN US! It will only hurt the first time...

Buell M2 rider -- 7500 miles and no parts have fallen off yet!

crankin500 09-30-2002 03:30 PM

Re: Leaf Blower!

Excellent idea! Use two leaf blowers attached directly to the air box. Kinda like a poor mans supercharger.

ridinsince59 09-30-2002 03:31 PM

Re: A Dark Cloud

'...the bright line on the ground disappeared and the atrociteur dropped his pants.

There are dark clouds forming in the skies of American motorcycling."

He probably dropped his pants to ***** on any Buell/HD product afflicted with a 1957 vintage, agricultural-machinery-lookin, oversized, inefficient, paint-shakin', Sportster hunk a' scrap-iron!

The sheep were just a group of baa-baa, follow-the-herd, HD apologists.

The dark clouds were the ridin' gods frowning on an overpriced, recall-ridden, tacky-crap oriented, American motorcycle producin' company!!!!!!!!!

KPaulCook 09-30-2002 03:39 PM

Just don't tell longride this. (so much for Japanese reliability)

I have to admit I snuck a peak at buell.com after I got the bad news about my Ninja. I remember the Buell salesman making a big deal of no valve maintenance. Hey if they make a car that has no valve maintenance why can't they make a motorcycle right. Longride has a point about simplicity and being able to work on it yourself. So much for Japanese reliability. Big egg on my face. :0

Congrads on the Buell M2 being trouble free. Its a pretty bike.

:)

crankin500 09-30-2002 03:43 PM

Re: A Dark Cloud

It's pretty lonely out there, isn't it. Be sure to wear protection, some of them ol' girls get around. Loud pipes may save lives, but they also attract attention to the barnyard.

BorgBiker 09-30-2002 03:45 PM

Hondas are great, but a little staid for my tastes.

Well, maybe you didn't give us all the information, but your anti-Kawasaki view sounds a little hasty to me. I cannot argue that Honda has a stellar reputation, I've had no bad experiences with Hondas. But I've had a few Ninjas myself, and no problems there either (excluding a fragged clutch, which was MY clutch-fan-wheelying fault!).

I've worked at the service department at a Honda/Kawasaki dealership; while there I saw no real difference in the durability between the two. What I did discover riding many of each is that all Hondas I encountered were imppecable in their fit and finish (refined); some Kawi's were great, some were so-so.

I also found that riding a ZX6 was a lot more exciting than the CBR600. Better vibe (don't recall any VIBES) from the bike, like it was excited to go. The Honda was like an English butler, equally capable, but not too excited to be along for the ride.

That is what the Camaro reference was, I believe. Hondas are refined to a fault. Kawi's are a little cruder, but better to party with. I would contend that EVERY Kawasaki is a hooligan bike. Honda motorcycles are the girl next door, Kawasaki's are more like the girl your mother warned you about. You'll be totally content with the Honda, but I've never had a Honda keep me out all night, or make me unable to concentrate like the Bad girl Kawi. (Ladies, just swap genders to fit your preference!)

I like Hondas- I own one now. But for a thrill, I always want a Kawi.

sarnali 09-30-2002 03:47 PM

LOL, don't forget, Kpaul the new firebolt will out run an RC51 AND an R1 not to mention those wheezer GSXR's