Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-28-2002, 04:29 AM   #51
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Indian Reader Feedback

Who cares, timing is everything....
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2002, 04:31 AM   #52
g-bear
Founding Member

By the way, about the Indians: they may look like clones? A couple of points I would be happy to hear discussed:

1) Price: in this time of "power cruisers", a simple Scout, with its (declared) 80 hp, is priced at 18k, but if you look on Cycletrader, you'll find a lot new for 14-15k. Compare to a Fat Boy, or a Dyna Super Sport (ah!), then compare to the same machine equipped with S&S, etc....

2) Same thing for the Chief: the pig is too big and overpriced to me, but if you take a Road King and try to get the same performance what kind of price do you get?

3) Look: if you like shining chrome things, Indians don't look bad, at all (I don't like the Chief, but I dig Scout and Spirit). Actually, they don't look like Harleys, no more than a number of japanese cruisers, they may look more like custom Harleys, but then again, some people may want to have a custom-looking bike which is new and comes with a warranty!

4) After saying all of the above, I still think when the time comes, I may get a VMax, all the respect for cruisers and cruiser riders, but to me with chrome, like with everything else, too much is same as nothing.

Now, I'm getting off the internet, I'm going out to change my little EN500's rear brake cable, then I'm going for a ride. Peace!
g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 05:26 AM   #53
dcopp
Founding Member

Okay, I'm not a crusier guy, but I am getting older, or so my back tells me. So I might get one of them, someday. But...

Another Harley-alike? Too bad Indian could not have come up with this motor in the beginning, this would have been nice on the Scout, but for half the money, that would make it worth it, sort'a. I just can't see spending the $$$$$$ on something that the Far East does so much better, for less, and in some cases, better than The Motorcycle Company themselves. A guy here who has a pusedo-custom shop put together an Indian for a customer, you know little tweeks that cruiser guys like, according to him, he had to redo a lot of the factory stuff as well. Bad quality control, says he. Anyway, for the cost, I'll buy me and a buddy a couple Honda Shadows, dress them up, ride them across the US of A, spending money only on gas and beer, not repairs, then sell them at the end of it and get most of it back. Indian is back, maybe, but they need more R&D, quality control, and a fresh idea for me to consider them. Like maybe a Cafe Racer. Oops, Harley did that one too. Now the Victory Vegas... the V Rod...

At least Indian is giving it a shot. New motor, cool, good for them. Now, styling. How about something a little, well, different?

dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 05:30 AM   #54
dcopp
Founding Member

Default Re: Keep up the Good Work!

AMEN! I bought the thing 'cause I thought they would!
Old 09-28-2002, 05:39 AM   #55
dcopp
Founding Member

Default W650

I love the looks of that bike! I have a Triumph Daytona, and I keep looking at the Bonneville, and then at the W650. For the money, and the looks, well, don't make me say it. Now, If Kaw come out with a W650 American... Sign me up.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:49 AM   #56
baddog
Founding Member

Default Gag Me!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaak!
baddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 05:55 AM   #57
TitaniumCanoe
Founding Member

Wasn't Indian responsible for cancelling the ISDT?
TitaniumCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:07 AM   #58
mj
Founding Member

Thankyou ! I probably could have gone on and on about how a reasonable person would never even think about the purchase of a H-D motorcycle when there are so many other manufacturers today who make a much better product. The problem seems to be that some consumers who are only loyal to a certain brand of motorcycle do not seem to concern themselves with the quality defecit that their chosen product enjoys, and are even willing to pay a premium for the honor of chugging along on their beloved H-D. I know that you can get out the Screaming Eagle catalogue and teach your Harley some new tricks, but don't you think that H-D, especially considering what they cost, should get it right at the factory. Oh I forgot, aftermarket parts are big money to the Company. History, tradition ! Who cares !

The saddest part of all this H-D bravado is how the Faithful look down with contemt upon anyone who dares to ride a different brand !

I could waste more time on this subject but why bother, most people know it already.
mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:21 AM   #59
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default I've seen the bike review section

I have read all of the reviews.

I have had praise for many of the articles and I have been critical of several others.

In my opinion, the worst thing that can happen to this site is for it to become just like the ragazines.

How can JB and the crew know what we want if we don't tell them?

The beauty of being "independent" is that they don't have to behave like the advertising driven press.

I don't want to read press releases from the factories on MO.com. There is enough of that on other sites and in the ragazines.

I want critical commentary and honest comparisons. JB has done a lot to raise the level of professionalism of this publication. I loved his writings in Motorcyclist and I am enjoying his contributions to Cycle World.

One thing JB did do at Motorcyclist was tell it like it is and not how the editors or the manufactures wanted it to be.

Sure, JB is going to get it wrong... remember his tirade about commuting in LA that was thinly veiled as a bike comparison story.

He gets it right too and more often than not.

This "article" is not a review... it IS a press release.

I am not asking for Steady. I am asking for Revolution. We have to evolve.

I appreciate you commentary. Ride on Brother!
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:56 AM   #60
maynard
Founding Member

"You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, and them's pretty good odds"

Bret Maverick circa 1960
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote