Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-27-2002, 01:36 PM   #11
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Indian Reader Feedback

Geezus, and all this time I thought most HD riders spent their days writing legal briefs, capping teeth or performing boob jobs on middle-aged women! Thanks for clearing up that misconception.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2002, 02:09 PM   #12
MAD
Founding Member

Amen.
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 02:17 PM   #13
rsheidler
Founding Member

Ya ever notice the seemingly inverse relationship between macho posturing and actual testosterone levels? I could be totally wrong, but when I try to picture "TheHighwayman" what keeps popping up in my mind is the image of a *****whipped, slightly paunchy insurance actuary, who has never been closer to a real biker bar than to quickly drive by in his minivan. Of course, I could be wrong and he could really be the roughest, hard-ass ex-Green Beret, ex-body guard for Sonny Barger. But I bet not.

I agree that the new Indian is kinda pretty -- I am not really that much of a cruiser guy, but I think if I had 20+ large to spend on a Harley Clone I'd go for a Real custom.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 02:23 PM   #14
hojka
Founding Member

Default I want to like it but I don't...

A classic Indian motorcycle is a beautiful thing. I would love the chance to own one some day. However, when I looked at these pictures for the 2003 Indians I felt nothing. It's just like the new BMW Mini. Sure, it retains all the styling cues of the original in an updated form but at the same time it lacks anything new or refreshing. The Honda advertisement for the Honda Rune was FAR more appealing to me. Sure, it's a bike in the cruiser tradition but has actual modern styling cues. No silly fringed leather, smooth and clean contours, and dare I say it... an engine which isn't just a harley knock-off.

-C
hojka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 02:28 PM   #15
Islandcomm
Registered Member

Met a fellow 2 weeks ago. Nice guy, too. He's got the new Chief. Here's what he told me:

The bike cost $26,000 US. He told me that his first ride was in rain, and the bike quit on the highway. Turns out that rain gets into the tank breather and creates a vacuum, and the bike stops from fuel starvation. The dealership had to drill a hole in the top of the breather. Next, it turns out that during hard cornering the rear wheel/swingarmcombination flexes quite a bit and the Kevlar final drive belt rubs on

the inside of the big fender skirt and squeaks and throws Kevlar dust all over the paint and pretty bits. The wheel, in other words, needs to be repositioned. Next, during the the brake-in period, he wasn't supposed to go over 80 kph for 1000 km. Next, the air box on the left side is so large he has to keep his left foot turned out with only his heel on the floorboard because he can't get his leg in closer to put his whole foot down. And last, it barely starts

after 4 tries in cool weather (i.e. + 10 celcius and below, even with the choke).

Dealertold him it is "cold-blooded" and that that's its normal. And he's happier than hell with all of this. Go figure.

Islandcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 02:32 PM   #16
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Who cares?

JB,

Are you guys actually riding motorcycles anymore or are you simply relying on press releases that you can plagiarize for content?

Don't you have a garage full of bikes or did they take them all away?

Signed,

Bored

DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:21 PM   #17
vcs700s
Founding Member

Default Re: Who cares?

Amen! You took the words right out of my mouth!!
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:37 PM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

looks alot more like a new softtail than anything out of the springfield indian works, funny that the Kawasaki drifter looks more like an indian than this does, Well if you don't want a Harley or reasonable facsimilie, you can get an American made Victory, they took the leap and came up with their own engines and what-not.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:52 PM   #19
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Dude!?

Look at the Bike Reviews section of the site, Man. They've already posted more in the way of actual review so far than they did all last year!

As for news, I happen to like the mixed-content format: when I want exclusive race/sport in depth material, I'll read Sport rider to get the long version of the stuff here that's brief but usually scoops the print rags. Same vis a vis cruiser/custom stuff; Mo gets me the news first, and if I want more, I'll go buy the next issue of American Iron, or V-Twin magazine. So as far as that goes, the format here that includes all the news and intros saves me a lot of money because I don't have to hold subscriptions to all those print rags.

But the reviews, even if you're not interested, Brother, you can't reasonably fault the voluminosity of them, and even though John Burns maintains that goofy beatnik hair-thingy under his lip, and occasionally a schmuck, he's still a great writer, who bothers to spell-check his work before posting it. I used to CONSTANTLY findspelling errors on common words in Motorcyclist, (except from Greg McQuide).

Anywho, after three years of reading this site, which I credit largely with keeping such a wide variety of material on hand to help me make the best decision for *me*, I finally got a Road King. Actually, I got a Sportster 883 first, based largely off the opinions it garnered in the valuebike shootouts of years past. After a few months now, I still love the Sporty, but I'm ready for more of a cruise ship.

Anywho, thanks to staff and all for a great site. Steady as she goes.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:01 PM   #20
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Are you suprised?

The Kawasaki W650 looks more like a classic Bonneville than does the new Bonneville.

(Excluding their other bike segments, of course) you've got to hand it to Kawi; if they're making clones, they've certainly found the magic formula for doing so. What I'd like to see is a Kawi-made Enfield Bullet (I know Enfield is still making them, but I think my point is understood) or a Kawi-clone of the other Britbikes from back-in-the-day. BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, et al.

And the height of such engineering would be to faithfully recreate an old board-tracker bike from the early part of last century. But of course the modern methods and such, a la W650.

Actualkly, I take that back: the HEIGHT of such cloning achievement would be to recreate their very own smokers from the seventies. The oil-burning triples of that time were some of the burning-est bikes on the streets.

Go Kawi.