Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-30-2002, 09:32 AM   #111
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: Getting Close Anyway

thanks, knew it was not 45 degree! You would think that little bit of history would be remembered and could be handled with a little work on the cases and creative timing!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2002, 10:19 AM   #112
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Indian Reader Feedback

They say everyone has a twin. It seems from your post, erikthered, that I have met mine, At least in this forum. ItÂ’s nice to meet you.

Because of the bikes currently in my garage, the ones that have been there and the ones I would like to add I have been called a real motorcycle enthusiast. The guy who said this about me is an old flat tracker, dirt rider, road racer who recently completed a ride north of the Arctic Circle on a BMW GS. He said this because IÂ’m apparently an atypical Harley rider. If itÂ’s got two wheels I either want it or can at least see where it could be a blast to ride.

This meant a lot to me. IÂ’ve never been one to want to fit into the "biker" image. IÂ’m not a 1%Â’er. IÂ’m a rider. ThatÂ’s all I want to be.

With 59K on my Â’98 ST1100 and 48K on my Â’00 RoadKing I can listen to those who think me a RUB and just smile. Most couldnÂ’t keep up with me for a weekend ride let alone a week. Even my wife canÂ’t keep up but sheÂ’s getting there. She has 9K on her Â’02 RoadGlide and just picked it up four months ago.

It sounds like youÂ’re an enthusiast as well so keep smiling. When they lump you in with the RUBs just know that it wonÂ’t be them on the road waving back at you it will be people like my wife and me.

You’ll see us commuting in rush hour or on some two lane back road gear up in a ‘Stitch and bundles bungeed to the pillion. It might be sunny, rainy or snowy. It could be 2AM.

If you see us, wave. WeÂ’ll wave back.

TatdNPrcd

www.ridetowork.org

www.ironbutt.com
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 10:50 AM   #113
sarnali
Founding Member

I don't think so, the operative word was "well", as in " ride a sportbike well", I think shorts and flip flops on a sportbike are just as stupid as chaps, tennies and a beannie helmet on a cruiser, From my own experiance I've seen lots more cruisers in front of taverns on nice days than sportbikes, I've seen lots more proof of poor riding skills from cruiser riders like dragging your feet for twenty yards when you take off and weaving around easy corners well below speed limits, the vast majority of "re-entry" riders and newbees ride cruiser type bikes, they are way more inclined to drop they're bikes for what ever reason and alchohol is a factor in more accidents involving cruiser type bikes, these are all taken from motorcycle magazine editorial's and websites and support my contention that as a whole, cruiser riders are less skilled than sportbike riders, There are plenty of squids on sportbikes to go around but they're like partyboys on cruisers in that they don't last long before they "find other forms of entertainment",,,,, so not only did you fail to "sink my battleship", you forgot to load your weapon
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 12:58 PM   #114
v2-90
Founding Member

Default Re: Saw 'em in the flesh today...

The Big Dog I was checking out was a rigid, but the frame looked really clean. Nice welds and it looked extended about an inch or two in the rear, although it might have just looked that way. Regardless, it was a pretty solid looking bike, not as heavy duty looking as the Swift Punisher rigid frame, but still very cool.

v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:06 PM   #115
KPaulCook
Banned

LOL good one
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:12 PM   #116
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: BASEBALL ANALOGY FOR ALL HARLEY RIDERS

Good one. Yep I thought I could play baseball until I went up against a pitcher (AA ball) in a clinic. This guy never made it to the majors but he struck out our entire high school team with his curve.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:31 PM   #117
VFR1273
Founding Member

A few years ago when several companies agued over the Indian name, there were photos circulating showing inovative designs from the designer who built the RADD swingarm fron suspension. I was excited that the USA would finally have a modern motorcycle company. Unfortunatly that company lost the bid for the name and instead we are stuck with another, even less progressive HD clone. Perhaps they want to take a "safe" approach...even "safer" than Victory did. I have a bet: In 10 years, niether Victory or Indian will exist unless they wake up and inovate. The V-Rod and Buell have changed my mind about HD. Come on Indian...I am an engineer by trade and I really would like to be impressed by some inovation...maybe they could hire me! (nah, they want old stale "57 Chevy repros") We will se in 10 years......................................Ho Hum?!#@$#@
VFR1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 05:13 PM   #118
grover750
Founding Member

Hey, that would be great if Indian would build technologically advanced bikes. But give them some time to (attempt to) make outrageous amounts of money selling bikes for over 20k. Cruisers are the SUV of the motorcycle industry. Big, big profit margins. Low development costs, cheap to manufacture, and they fly off the lots to people who....well I'm not going to go there. Let's just say neither are my cup of tea. I just wish the auto industry would do what the motorcycle industry does, and take the profits from the cruisers and use it to develop awesome sportbikes.

Going right into technologically advanced bikes is not realistic. How many little shops with cool neon signs do you see in this country making their own sportbikes? None that I know of. How about cruisers? Every major city has a bunch of shops that make cruisers. Which one do you think is easier to make? Anyone with any background in engineering or manufacturing can see how difficult it is to manufacture and design a sportbike compared to a cruiser.

I'm not saying Indian is going to be successful. I don't think they are. They do have a better chance than EH, with a way more recognizable name. I'm saying they have a better shot of making it in the cruiser world than the sportbike world.

Wouldn't it be sweet to see them totally drop the cruisers in 5-7 years, and just say, "thanks, suckers, now we have the money to make real bikes!" Not going to happen, but I can dream.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:24 PM   #119
gforces
Founding Member

Default Ecks vs. Sever

Lucy Liu in tight black leather riding a black X1...I'm drooling.

Indian? If they put Pamela Andersen on it, I might take a second look.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:34 PM   #120
gforces
Founding Member

Umm, isn't what Eric Buell did exactly what you described? He took what he had, which was a Harley motor, engineered his own frame, and make a sport bike?

If he could do it, so can Indian. Harley knock-offs are probably what Indian's investors want to see flying out the doors. Banks like to make money at things they KNOW will make money--and Harleys make money. Like you said, they just need to satisfy the bankers with some profit margins and then they can start building what they want to build--hopefully a competitor to Buell.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote