Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-26-2002, 06:40 PM   #181
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: John Burns; Great Arguments for Stupid People

I for one have grown tired of the now-derogatory claim of "partisanship". What exactly does 'partisan' mean anyway? It simply means that someone has made up their mind and actually come to a decision on something. Frankly, I am of the opinion that the reason nothing gets done in Washington is because representatives aren't partisan enough. If we really want to get things done, let's stop discussing every damn thing to death and make them put up or shut up-----i.e. vote it up or down and put it to rest.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2002, 07:04 PM   #182
BorgBiker
Registered Member

Default He couldn't have gotten away with it there

I don't think they would have let JB speak openly about a non-motorcycle topic in that magazine he was with at the time.

But yes, I was just thinking a similar thought myself as I read the above post by seruzawa: I can see the possiblity of using the "Get Iraq" thing as a distraction from the economy, we can't find Osama, etc... But Bush and co would not be the first time this "distractionary technique" has been done: Look throughout Clinton's distinguished terms as President, and you'll see the same thing. I don't remember now if the scandals were the distraction or the deeds to be distracted from. But I don't think this tactic works very well for long. Not ALL Americans are slow witted. Some of us do eventually figure things out.

As far as the "Give alternatives or shut up!" philosophy: I generally disagree with this sentiment, but then I find myself thinking it when I hear a politican spouting criticisms incessantly while providing no resolutions. Yes, he has a right to do so, but it gets old. It's so easy to criticize, but providing a better idea is always harder. And JB, there is a significant difference between Lott and Daschle's "debate" and your wife beating analogy. While you may not agree with Bush's ideas or plans about Iraq, what he is doing isn't morally wrong or illegal (like wife beating is).

I don't have enough information to TRULY know whether it is REALLY the right thing to do, I doubt if anyone that has posted has ALL the facts. But then again, I don't know if the government does, either. But with the left wingers and the right wingers dishing it out, usually a compromise is reached, and like with most other things, the middle ground proves to work the best for the most.

Trying to tie this to motorcycles: just as I agree with neither Democrats or Republicans and instead choose a little from each; so too do I want a laid back cruiser with comfortable ergos, great handling, and TOO MUCH POWER (i.e. ZX12 or Hayabusa levels-which should be JUST enough ). A true sport cruiser! I'm afraid that I could find an honest, serious politician who's working for the the good of the people sooner than they'll build that bike.

Sighh...
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:10 PM   #183
v4bryan
Registered Member

So I take it you're not in favor of farm subsidies?
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:18 PM   #184
Mooner
Founding Member

Whoo Hooo 188th post! John, if your still out there, I thought it was pretty good. Don't totally agree, but the ideas (both your's and some MOites) are thought provoking. Motorcycles are still way cooler, but I can't always live in a fantasy world, so I won't cancel my subscription. BTW, I may have missed something, but where is Minime?
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:19 PM   #185
BorgBiker
Registered Member

No one forced you to read the article. You could have very easily stopped once you discovered what it was. Then you could have just pretended that today's MO was just like yesterday's, with nothing new to see.

If you don't like it, don't read it. When you post about it, your feedback is added to the stack, and then they say, look at all the responses, and another article of the same vein comes out.

In the press, any publicity is good publicity. I think that probably holds true for reader response to articles as well.
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:48 PM   #186
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Would Egan, Cameron, Salvadori or others impose THEIR politics on their readers?

Good points. Right, I do have great respect for Peter Egan, Kev Cameron, etc.--but those guys are professional print journalists. They get one page a month and it better be good and it better have to do with motorcycles. Matter of fact, I'm in awe of Egan, who not only does a great column in CW every month, but usually an even better one in Road & Track--every month for like 20 years.

If I had to do 800 words a month, like I did at Motorcyclist, I'd always make it have to do with bikes sure. Here on the web, tho, there is unlimited space. Like I said somewhere else in here, I banged out the offending article in a couple of hours, had fun, my buddy Jim sent me cool artwork... what the heck. I'd just got done with a CW story and some other work I'd contracted--and in between serious things we're working on at MO, what the heck?

Since you bring it up, my column at Motorcyclist got tons of positive reader feedback. Boehm hated it, tho, so there ya go.

Taking hostage with my political beliefs? I've done that before? When? As a matter of fact, I really didn't intend to get "political" this time, I just happened to come across an article in the paper where an idiot who happens to be a Republican, made an argument I strongly disagree with. For the record, I don't side with any party. I think both parties have their share of idiots.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Egan and Cameron and those guys had a bigger forum, a chance to expound? You might be surprised at what they'd have to say about all kinds of things.

johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 08:00 PM   #187
Yamahanian
Founding Member

Default Re: Ya Got That Right!

Democrats have shoved their values down our throats on many issues (abortion, affirmative action, school choice, to name a few). Normally, they cannot prevail using democratic methods such as referendums, so they use litigation and withhold federal funds to force compliance with their "morals", depending on whether they are in power or in the minority in Congress.

I have to wonder why they feel so morally superior given the positions they take. For example, the Democrats - always posturing as the party of the underclass and characterizing the Republicans as only for the rich - are against school choice. Who does this hurt - children of rich parents or the poor?

Of course, Hilliary's kid didn't go to a D.C. school when Bubba got elected. Those rich demoncrats (oops, Freudian slip) never practice what they preach.
Yamahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 08:25 PM   #188
zaldente
Founding Member

Default Re: Speaking as a good partisan citizen

Yes

Just like the enormous tax breaks handed out to the super rich. And the de-regulation of the energy companies such as enron who robbed California blind. Is it the democrats who are the oilygarchy in power? Tax breaks for the wealthy, de-regulation for the thiefs. Oh, these are democratic policies. Actually they are just as guilty as the republicans. There is only one party in Washington and it has two branches the democrats and the republicans. They are totally controlled by major corporations. Lets be honest they have all been bribed.

The republican mantra is a quasi religious believe that the markets and technology will take care of every body. Just de-regulate the honorable corporate leaders will make the world a better place for all. The result is unbridled greed and corruption and not just here all over the world. Enron robbed Argentina and India and numerous other places after they bribed their governments into privatizing there utilities. Maharishti state in India is now paying 400 million a year to Enron just to pay for the expensive useless plants built by Enron, and they still get their electricity from there public utility because it would cost them more to pay for the Enron delivered power.

Disappointed with Gore, well think about the following. The genius of the American form of government was the creation of a system of institutions to check and balance government power and so render it accountable to the people. Today that system is threatened by a monster of unbalanced and unaccountable power--a new Leviathan--that is taking shape among us in the executive branch of the government. This Leviathan--concealed in an ever-deepening, self-created secrecy and fed by streams of money from corporations that, as scandal after scandal has shown, have themselves broken free of elementary accountability--menaces civil liberties even as it threatens endless, unprovoked war. As disrespectful of the Constitution as it is of the UN Charter, the Administration has turned away from law in all its manifestations and placed its reliance on overwhelming force to achieve its ends.

Yes Al Qaida is a threat and Saadaam is lunatic. But Bush is doing Bin Ladden's work for him. Bombasting and scaring and going on and on and on on a daily basis. Enough is enough. It covers up the news of the worsening economy and collapsing health system.

The war over Afghanistan has been going on for centuries. During the Carter administration both the Soviets overtly and the US covertly spent billions and not for democracy or for communism but for geopolitical control. Why, because of enormous oil fields in the STANS. The untapped oil in this region far surpasses that of Saudi Arabia. Iraq's oil wealth also swamps Saudi Arabia's capacity. Although Hussein is a nut case he poses no threat. Just an impediment to the wealth. Irag has proven reserves of 112 billion barrels of oil compared with 49 billion for Russia and 15 billion for the Caspian States. These are proven fields. Iraq untapped fields are believed to harbor the world's largers remaining resevoir of unmapped and unclaimed fields.

The U.S funded many sides in Afghanastan. During the Clinton admininstration, they settled on the Taliban, not because they were nice but the government(ours) felt they would bring the most stability. Not untill they realized they were complete maniacs did they try to bring them under control. And by the way Unocal and other oil companies were training Taliban in oil processes in the U.S. sanctioned by the state department under Clinton and Bush. The Taliban got out of our control well before 9-11 and Bush already had plans to invade Afghanistan. The terror attacks just gave him the green light.

And by the way al qaida hate Saadaam. Of course that does not mean they would not band together against the U.S.

By the way, Haliburton- you know the company that your beloved Cheney was president of,is one of 87companies that illegally sold oil equipment and chemicals to Iraq.

But if you think this fundamentalist Texas Cracker who was selected to be President gives a rats ass about democracy, you can go to Iraq for him and maybe send your sons too, but not mine.
zaldente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:40 PM   #189
DucButt
Founding Member

Keep writing thought provoking, amusing, cogent articles, JB, or I'll cancel my subscription! Keep posting, KPaul, Itchface, longride, sarnali, everyone etc, etc, or I'll cancel my subscription!! Now excuse me while I go back to the playground to try to figure out this rubber ball thing...

BTW - as usual, many great posts - but agent0090 keep it coming. You da man.

Cheers

DucButt (and new SV650S owner - Ducati, take a hint and produce the new Supermono - I'm grinning way too much on the SV... while the Duc sits in the garage)

DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 10:21 PM   #190
silverr6
Founding Member

Default Re: Ya Got That Right!

In theory, yes it would be nice to have real representation of a third party on the national level. However, in reality, as a citizen of Minnesota, this is very hard to pull off because even when the third party does get elected the existing partisan politicians in congress basically block everything he/she does because of their party loyalties. Jesse has done some good things for our state but also some not so great things like raising tuition in state schools by like 15%. The state did pretty well overall with Jesse Ventura at the helm, and it is great living in such a motorcycle friendly state, even Jesse rides!!
silverr6 is offline   Reply With Quote