Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-26-2002, 09:12 AM   #121
stickie
Founding Member

Default boring!

Sweden is *the* most boring country in the world- talk about a nanny state. Ugh. It makes England look like New Orleans during Mardis Gras in comparison (and I think England's pretty bland as well). At least you can speed in Britain...
stickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2002, 09:28 AM   #122
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: John Burns; the poor and more

fuggin get back to work, Hatch.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:30 AM   #123
malberg
Founding Member

Default Re: John Burns; Great Arguments for Stupid People

With ill-disguised contempt, Burns turns his back to the audience. He will play on, he vows, and he alone will determine the tune. He is the Miles Davis of motojournalism.
malberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:31 AM   #124
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Need your advice longride

Thanks longride. Although my wife says that I should focus on what I am go at and let an expert do it (motorcycle maintenance), the engineering part of me (i.e. the part of me that has built computers, controllers, power supplys,simulators) says it shouldn't be that hard. My wife worries that the maintenance I do will void or comprimise my 3 year warranty. Any advice???
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:39 AM   #125
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: Who said we needed an alternative?

Knary,

Thank you for pointing out some of the obvious things that some of our brothers and sisters in the Republican party seem to miss.

You did miss one point, the Republicans spend just as much of our money as the "tax and spend" Democrats. They just spend it on different things, mostly corporate welfare and stupid military systems like SDI (Starwars). Lets not forget these "freedom loving" people trying to shove their morals and religion down our throats are every opportunity. Given the damage the Bush administration has done to the Bill of Rights I have to laugh when his supporters talk about freedom.

This country need a real third party as much as its citizens need air and water. If something doesn't wake up the Yellow Dogs Democrats and the Rock Ribbed Republicans very soon we are going to see the greatest nation on earth fall apart in our life times.

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:43 AM   #126
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

You going somewhere with this or just kinda running laps?

Why should Burns (or anyone for that matter) consider your opinion on what is stupid to be of special merit? Witty prose, aphorisms, outstanding logic? Please, tell us more.

If you don't like the political commentary, which is perfectly reasonable, you can do what I recommend to anyone who appreciates the first amendment (isn't first amendment appreciation week in Sept. sometime?) which is, turn it off. No one makes you read Burns articles. For that matter no one made you subscribe to this website. But since you are here I should point out that there are buttons all over this site that link to content that may appeal to your more narrowly focused interests. Go read about the 03 Kawi's and be happy.

mhh
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:45 AM   #127
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Why do I even bother......

Now you sound like **** Armey -- any one who is liberal is an intellectual light weight. What crap. Intelligent people can disagree. As we have seen on this board before, you (and I mean literally you Abe Froman) have tried to use history in extremely dubious ways -- your quoting of the Federalist papers without really putting them in the context of the debate at the time or the subsequent very different writings of Madison and Hamilton (I discount Jay compared to these two).

"Liberals" come in many different forms; some are idiots, some have well reasoned opinions. Just like conservatives -- some are knee jerk idiots, some present a compelling case. Myself, if you were to actually use a two-part way of measurement come out as liberal/libertarian. I am a major supporter of civil and political rights (even, to an extent, the right to own a gun). At the same time, I recognize that the market can and has failed. Why do we get government regulation to begin with? Almost always as a response to market failure or as an answer to some other collective action problem.

Is all regulation good? Absolutely not. But that also does not make all regulation bad. Are there dumb liberals? Yes, but that does not mean there are not intellectual liberals. Same with conservatives. Smart people can disagree. Smart people also realize that other smart people can look at the same information and come to different conclusions.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:59 AM   #128
fernandopan
Founding Member

Sorry folks, but I really don't get it. What does this article has to do with motorcycles? And what is this about anyway?
fernandopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 10:04 AM   #129
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Need your advice longride

No, doing your own service will not void the warranty. Dealers want you to "think" that it will, but ask them directly and they admit it will not. Now this is in order:

1. Buy the factory service manual for your bike.

2. Follow the service schedule posted in there as to mileage or times for maintenance.

3. Review the procedure for the job needed in the manual to understand it before you start.

4. Get any tools required(lifetime investment)

5. Take your time and do it right. Do it over if it isn't. Any questions or problems, go to dealer and ask a mechanic. They are more than happy 99% of the time to help you through a procedure. Or, go online to a forum and ask. Lots of guys to help in those but you have to wait for an answer.

6. IMPORTANT: Document all work done on the bike(date and mileage) and keep the receipts for items needed(Spark plugs, oil, filters) This is needed to prove the service was done if you need warranty work.

Now, there is no reason to pay $350 dollars for what amounts to an oil change. Working on bikes is not that hard if you follow the above. Go for it.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:10 AM   #130
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Thanks Dude! I just won the bet. You see I bet another MO subscriber a dinner that someone would bring Harley into this thread. He said there was no freaking way; nobody is stupid enough to do that but you proved him wrong! Hell that dinner will be worth a few more years subscriptions for here and I owe it all to you. Sorry you won't be back though. I could have counted on you for more stupid posts in the future, but thanks for this one anyway.