Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-26-2002, 06:36 AM   #101
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: John Burns; Great Arguments for Stupid People

YO, have we not posted news on all kinds of new `03 bikes in the last week or 2? Do you doubt that more is on the way? I banged out that column in a couple hours (sure it shows) cause I felt like it and if you don't want to read it I encourage you not to. Obviously it's my opinion and you're free to disagree. Sorry, but in my little world, politics and motorcycles and everything else are all interrelated.

Whiners...

johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2002, 06:40 AM   #102
dlinder
Founding Member

Hey guys. I recently purchased a subscription to your fine digital publication for one reason...

Because I really like MOTORCYCLES.

I come to read articles about you guys blasting around the track evaluating liter bikes. I come to read your very informed opinions of motorcycle gear that I'm considering purchasing. I even come to read articles about touring the US with a samba dancing pillion (?).

I appreciate that you have political views and I appreciate that you want to share them. However, I suggest you make a site for your political views and charge me a subsription there to read them.

No offense guys, you do great work... but let's try to stay on topic.

dlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:44 AM   #103
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

I know this is quite silly but I've always wanted to reply to someone who writes to a magazine saying, "I won't be renewing my subscription..." or "Cancel my subscription".

Instead of going on about how put off or offended you are about resent commentary, just shut up and leave. Rather than contributing to the dialog the only thing you can add is youÂ’re going to take your magnetic personality, your ten bucks and your toys and leave the sand box.

Jeez. Had you left out your subscription comment you would have at least been able to state your displeasure with the topic and be done with it. Now your just a whining, crybaby.

DonÂ’t take yourself so damn seriously. You arenÂ’t that important. None of us are.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:51 AM   #104
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Why do I even bother......

>>France is under Napoleonic Law. You are guilty if arrested until you prove your innocence. Nice, huh?<<

I guess you have not been in traffic court lately, or experienced an IRS audit! Or had your car seized on suspicion of having been used in drug trafficing. Or had your life ruined by being wrongly charged with setting bombs at the Atlanta Olympics, or of selling secrets to the Chinese or......?

I am a strong advocate of our basic constitutional protections, and the assumption of innocence is high on my list. However, any difference between our system and that of France in that regard is highly abstract. In the real world, I seriously doubt there are more wrongly-convicted inmates in French Gaols than in US prisons as a result of the differnet presumption re innocence or guilt.

The reality is, except for high profile cases, and/or where defendants can affort superstar legal talent such as Jonnie Cochran, in most cases, the juries are very quick to believe the police/prosecutor version of truth rather than that of some scary-looking young black or hispanic male.

Fact is, if I were, say, a young black male African immigrant sitting on the steps of my apartment, I'd feel a lot more comfortable realizing I was going to be questioned by the French police, with their supposed presumption of guilt, that by New York City or LA police who are likely to fill me with lead as I reach for my wallet!

Of course, since I am a "respectable" white middle-aged, upper middle class male, I guess I would prefer our system -- but only for real criminal matters. If I get stopped for riding m y motorcycle 140 mph on a deserted road, I would much prefer to deal with a French (or German, Swiss, Italian ......) court rather than US courts. [Attempt to somehow tie this thread into motorcycling!]
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:52 AM   #105
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Why do I even bother......

Vin Suprenowicz is not an arch conservative. He is a Libertarian. Dispite the Republican moniker so is Ron Paul. For this reason anyone posessing an IQ greater than that of toothpaste will probably find some validity to their arguments.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:56 AM   #106
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Most cogent post yet!

Eric,

Great post.

The administration's real agenda:

1) Reassignment of culpability - we can't find Bin Laden, but we know where Saddam is.

2) Economic distraction

3) Keep Iraq out of "THE" club (nuclear weapons) - Once you're in, nobody f***s with you (Witness North Korea).

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:57 AM   #107
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Wait, wait, wait...

Back it up just a second there; law school? John Burns?

This changes everything.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:58 AM   #108
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Whoa...the boss must have just logged on!

Whiners? Perhaps you should re-read your original article to discover who has a propensity to whine. The '03 model coverage has been great, but with all due respect, that's expected. Don't expect us to congratulate you for delivering services as promised. How's the subscription drive going?

I'm sure that many of us (most from what I have read) will take you up on your suggestion/offer to not read your future political commentary. However, please give us a heads up by using the title "Masturbatory Political Ramblings" so we won't click on it.
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:08 AM   #109
mike_root
Founding Member

Well, I'll take that to mean that the web site is mostly, but not completely about motorcycles and may also be your personal soapbox from time to time.

Ok. Got it. I was getting bored with this little intellectual writing competition your readers are having with you anyway.

I'll come by and check from time to time to see if the site turns back into anything about motorcycles. Good luck with your new content!
mike_root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:11 AM   #110
Mikey
Registered Member

Some people seem to be forgetting the 10 for 1 rule. If one person doesn't like something and tells you, there are ten more who feel the same way but won't say anything at all.

IOW MO-ites, don't be surprised when a seemingly large number of people don't re-up their subscriptions.

Yes, you can banter on all you like about how you don't care if one person isn't happy. But you know what? The number of people unhappy with this latest "content" is far greater than one. If MO has a clue they will take their licks and apply the knowledge gained here to future content submissions.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote