Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-25-2002, 12:12 AM   #81
rhust
Founding Member

Default SVs in Orange?

Why, oh why, doesn't every manufacuturer offer their bikes in black and then other colors? The new frame (while not as pleasing as the old round version) and engine colors beg for having the other body parts (tank, fairings) in glossy black - a great contrast and sexy to boot. Alas...

But, thanks Suzuki nonetheless. Your taller customers were begging for a "bigger" bike! Anyone notice that the specs show the 1000s as being thinner than the 650s?
rhust is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2002, 12:52 AM   #82
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: Stiction is friction

If you mean no stiction and also no dynamic friction, not exactly. You would want at least a bit of the dynamic sort. Hypothetically, if you could make some suspension without ANY friction of any sort, you would bob up and down almost forever after your first bump.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:31 AM   #83
UltraBoa
Founding Member

Default Hyosung

Actually, they are. The U.S. importer is Alpha Sports (www.alphasportsmotors.com). They are currently importing two variants of a 250cc v-twin cruiser style bike (GV-250), several scooter models, and some youth oriented off-road stuff. I understand that a sport/standard (looks like the Comet 600) using the same 250cc v-twin engine is due by the end of this year and the Comet 600 (to be called the Alpha GT-600 in the U.S.) is supposed to show up next year.

Hyosung has had (and probably still has) a partnership arrangement with Suzuki to the extent that some of the bikes and scooters in Korea are badged as "Hyosung Suzuki", presumably these are Suzuki designs manufactured under license.
UltraBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:34 AM   #84
DJS
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback

I don't think the motor is dumbed down to the DL1000 spec. If you read the V-strom review on this site it has 45mm injectors and the SV1K has 52mm injectors so hopefully the SV is still in triple digit HP.

David

DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:46 AM   #85
DJS
Founding Member

Default Re: Stiction is friction

Actually completely friction free of mechanical friction would be ideal.

Suspension is basically two parts, a spring and a damping system. The spring responds to bumps by compressing. However if you just had springs in your front suspension you would bounce around a lot after a bump. Then enters damping. Damping is basically friction, usually fluid friction. You put heavy oil in your forks and make it flow through tiny orifices and that creates fluid friction to slow the movement of your suspension. Because you can control the size of the orifice and the weight of the fork oil, the damping action of the fluid system is fairly easy to adjust.

Some dynamic friction is not bad though, but you want it to be much smaller than your damping due to fork oil so that you have the ability to adjust your suspension.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:48 AM   #86
DJS
Founding Member

Default colors

USA is silver or blue in the naked, silver or "Burning copper metallic" for the S model. I'm planning on doing the silver naked myself but I would do that burning copper if they made it for the naked model.

David

Old 09-25-2002, 04:19 AM   #87
navion_pa1
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback

That's no fun, don't you want to remove

their outfits.
navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:20 AM   #88
Kahlua
Founding Member

Default New SV650S

Well, I had decided against an SV650 a while back, but now with the MORE new changes and the GREAT new Copper color, I think it's going to be the bike for me. Thanks to Suzuki for making a great bike even better!
Kahlua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:50 AM   #89
crankin500
Founding Member

Default Re: Stiction is not in my dictionary

What static friction are you overcoming when you push a dead car? You may find it easier if you put it in neutral and don't skid the tires. All of that static friction makes it very difficult to get them sliding. Once it's skidding you only have to overcome the kinetic friction of the tires on the ground and all of that inertia makes it easier to maintain that speed.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:09 AM   #90
bandito1200
Founding Member

Default 2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback

Maybe it's just me, but styling and looks take second place as to how well a motorcycle works in the real world.

Perhaps from now on MO should include the expert opinions of the E! channel fashion police with each road test

Then we'll be sure that we don't hear comments like "that fairing design is so last spring". Joan Rivers, are you listening??

BTW, Suzuki still rules!!!

MJB

bandito1200 is offline   Reply With Quote