Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-24-2002, 03:30 PM   #71
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: the SV one thou

Good stuff. The SV 1000 is a great buy.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2002, 03:34 PM   #72
KPaulCook
Banned

Default I agree 2002 SV had nicer curves. The 2003 ...

looks like they could they couldn't decide wether to go all the way with the sharp angles like the FZ-1 or not
Old 09-24-2002, 03:36 PM   #73
josxr
Founding Member

Default Re: Stiction?

stiction is a contraction for STAtic friCTION which is the amount of force required to move the fork form a full stop. Lack of friction results in suppleness and responsiveness to small bumps.
josxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 03:39 PM   #74
josxr
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback

and thus the contraction for STAtic friCTION...or stiction
josxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 04:08 PM   #75
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>(you will remember from high-school that inertia has two definitions; one is an object's tendency to stay in motion and the other, pertaining to stiction, is an object's tendancy to stay at rest). <<

Uhhhh..........?

I think perhaps you were busy looking at a Playboy Magazine behind your physics textbook the day they discussed inertia. The tendency of an object to remain in motion and to remain at rest are the same damn thing, having nothing to do with friction, stiction or any other ...tion. Inertia is the resistance of an object to being accelerated -- don't matter what direction, or whether positive or negative (really that just measures direction of acceleration -- what we call deceleration is simply acceleration in the opposite direction of travel).

You should also remember from Physics that static friction ("Stiction" is really just a contraction of "static friction") is almost always significantly greater than dynamic friction. That is why ABS works -- the rolling tire is generating static friction with the road, but once it skids, there is only dynamic friction. Tires on the road do not exactly follow the simplified high school physics model, due to bond with the sticky rubber to the road etc. but the general concept is valid.

Stiction on your tires is a very good thing, in your suspension not so. As an example, my mountain bike has a very early Rock Shock suspension fork with an air spring. If I pump enough air pressure to maintain a proper spring rate, the pressure on the seals is so great that it takes a great deal of force to move the shock at all. As a result, if I ride over fast washboard bumps, I have virtually no suspension movement, while it works just fine jumping logs, dropping off of jumps etc. Gotta buy a new shock for the damn thing this winter!

I am just a effin accountant, so I'll let some of the scientists or engineers on this forum elaborate further if necessary.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:38 PM   #76
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Those who dont like the sv-1000 are high on crack!

what a bike...cant wait
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:51 PM   #77
Benji_2
Founding Member

Default Suzuki, these things are ugly

Why are you complaining to Jesus?
Benji_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 07:33 PM   #78
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: Those who dont like the sv-1000 are high on crack!

I'm here to tell you that you can be high on crack and still like the SV1000.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:55 PM   #79
sarnali
Founding Member

I know what you mean, any open class sportbike is going to offer phenominal performance and handling that's way ahead of most riders skill on the track, on the street your just not going to tap that kind of performance, in any safe manor, so your choice becomes what works best for you in the enviroment you ride in, as far as sportbikes go aerodynamics dictate alot of what the bike looks like, unless your talking about cruisers. I like nekkid sportbikes, because I like to see the engine and frame castings and contours. I think R1's and GSXR's and the like are beautifull works of art, but sport standards work best for me, so thats what I ride, I'll admit some new bikes like most BMW's and metric cruisers leave me cold but if someone else thinks they're IT then thats fine with me, The whole "my ***** don't stink 'cause I ride a ------------"gets real old, real fast, just ride what grabs your nuts and be happy with it
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:45 PM   #80
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Those who dont like the sv-1000 are high on crack!

LOL. And you can hate crack and still like the SV1000