Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-24-2002, 12:51 PM   #51
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback

My girlfriend is sick of hearing me make this exact argument with regard to the new Ducati 999 (she's the only one who will listen).

Those who value a bike's beauty are often often criticized for placing form over function. But at $17k a motorcycle should be technically advanced *and* drop dead gorgeous. The 998 accomplished this and I don't believe the 999 does.

Of the mainstream liter bikes, if I were buying and money wasn't an issue, I'd go with the 998, followed by the R1, new GSXR-1k, 954, 999, old GSXR-1k and the ZX9R.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2002, 12:52 PM   #52
Cyberj10
Founding Member

Default Re: the SV one thou

Here here, a most excellent quip good sir. Might thoust have another?
Cyberj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 01:05 PM   #53
TheFox
Founding Member

I read that in Bike magazine too.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 01:21 PM   #54
BorgBiker
Registered Member

Default Re: Jesus, these things are ugly

I like the GSXR1000 alright, not better or worse than the old one. But neither SV-S is pretty. I dislike the FZ1-ish fairing tremendously. It's not so bad without it, but that frame just isn't as pleasing to look at as the old TL1000S or SV650 style frames were. Id rather have a twin-spar like the GSXR's over that thing. But the TL motor is a wonderful thing.

Suzuki kills me with power in the GSX series, then gives us what is apparently a great bike in the V-strom (according to the reviewers), but I won't be caught riding it. It has all the appeal of a Murray riding mower. And I can see the family resemblence in these SV-S's, so I must say no to them.

I know they have to redesign bikes all the time to keep employed, but I don't see these new frames doing much for a rider. These (SV's) aren't racebikes, so the marginally lighter/stronger frames are wasted on street riders who can't utilize them. I know there will be guys racing them, but will they honestly be able to use the less porous frame better than the old one? I thought suspension is where the old SV650 needed the most help.

Kawasaki seems to be regrouping, and I like what they've done with the ZR1000, ZZR1200, ZRX's and ZX12. I must reserve judgement on the new ZX6's until I see more picture/ real life. They have a sort of R6-ish look so far, and I've never been that excited about the Yamaha R bikes.

I like Yamaha's FJR, but can't stand the FZ1.

Love the way the Honda Interceptor looks, wish it was stronger/lighter. Same thing with 1000cc's woulda been the ticket.

Every year I look forward to the new bikes, and every year I see both good and bad ideas. But I'm so glad they make so many choices. Thank you for all the choices!
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 01:50 PM   #55
pjkyser
Founding Member

The GS500 is not listed under the 2003 models on the Suzuki site. The GS500 is an excellent entry level/to and from work bike and almost maintenence free.
pjkyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:02 PM   #56
dardas
Founding Member

Maybe that's the cue for companies like Hyosung to branch into the US market. Take a look at the Hyosung Comet. It's a tidy little package and would measure up favorably against bikes such as the Buell Blast.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:18 PM   #57
itchface
Founding Member

I might consider a Hyosung one day, but first I have to be able to say their name without spraining my tongue.

Couldn't they come up with an English-sounding derivative of their name? Something like "Hyosilver" would be nice. Everytime one gets sold, the dealer can shout "Hyosilver... Away!" Kinda' nostagic, in a way.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:22 PM   #58
micro
Founding Member

I think the z1000 on paper lookes like it will kick butt. The problem I have with it is that you dont need to bore out a zx9r motor for a standard motorcycle. The regular zx9r motor would be a scary fast wheelie machine in this light and upright bike. So kawasaki will be left up to killing the power. aka tuning for torque. Or killing its customers.Think about it a 98 zx9r was the first bike into the 9s in a road test.
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:31 PM   #59
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: Stiction is friction

DJS,

Good explanation, thanks for saving me a lot of typing.

Another, really easy way to understand stiction is to ride pretty much any bike before the mid-seventies Yamahas came out with Teflon bearings in the forks. Forks without these bearings simply didn't move over small bumps, too much stiction. I remember swapping bikes with a friend after I got my RD400, my <400 pound bike rode better than my friend's Z1!

To bad I keep hearing how those Japanese companies just copy, think how good bikes would be if they innovated!*

SlowBear

*For the humor impaired that was a joke.
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:31 PM   #60
sarnali
Founding Member

I think the R1 is one of the sharpest looking bikes around myself, since your probably not useing the full capabilities of either bike [I'm guessing here] the only real issue is which one looks the best to you, I like the look of the gsxr and the sv1000, but I'll be keeping my Bandit 'cause it works best for me, 75 lb/ft of torque @ 4k rpm and 101 hp @ 7500rpm is real world grunt that you can use every day. For me price isn't that much of an issue, I just feed my kids beans and rice 'till I can afford what I wan't
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote