Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-24-2002, 10:49 AM   #41
Wooddesigner
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback

All I can say, is Mother of God, do I like the 2003 Gixxer 1k. I wish you posted other photos, however.

Oh... And stiction is NOT friction. It has to do with the amount of inertia required to make it slide. The slippier the two meeting surfaces, the less inertia it takes to overcome the static position (you will remember from high-school that inertia has two definitions; one is an object's tendency to stay in motion and the other, pertaining to stiction, is an object's tendancy to stay at rest).

Picture this: You glue a 1000 pound statue to a piece of wood, then take that assembly and place it on top of another peice of unfinished plywood glued to the floor. How likely is it that you can slide the statue and wood it's mounted to off of the unfinished plywood?

Now, take that statue, glue it to a piece of teflon, and put it on a piece of ice. How much easier would it be, assuming you are not standing on the ice, to move the statue?

While the example shown above is extreme, shows what forces are needed to overcome inertia, here refered to as stiction.

The difference between conventional coatings and the new DTL or whatever they call it isn't as great, but any advantage you can get in suspension is most welcome.
Wooddesigner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2002, 10:53 AM   #42
drthompson65
Founding Member

Ugly? Yes. Cool performance stuff? Yes. Will buy? Yes. Anyone interested in a 02?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...860203115&rd=1
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 11:45 AM   #43
itchface
Founding Member

Default the SV one thou

Suzuki's my hero and to whom I shall bow,

For making my dream bike, the SV one thou.

It's gorgeous and lovely, though the frame does look odd,

Still the specs are impressive, and it don't cost a wad.

The TL debacle did not make you run,

From the light v-twin concept which makes for great fun.

So thank you, Suzuki, for your resolute vow,

To stick with the V-twin, the SV one thou.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 11:54 AM   #44
DJS
Founding Member

Default Stiction is friction

Dude, you got it a little backwards. Inertia is a property related to the mass of an object. Regardless of what surfaces it has glued to it or coatings, a 5lb mass of stone has the same inertia (linear) as a 5 pound mass of wood.

Stiction is friction. Specifically static friction. Ever notice when you push a dead car out of an intersection that it is really hard to start it rolling but once it is rolling it is a lot easier to keep it moving? That is because static friction is usually a lot greater than dynamic friction.

Some dynamic friction is OK in a suspension because it acts like damping, wanting to slow everything down.

Static friction is bad because it wants to refuse to allow to surfaces to slide relative to each other. Once you overcome static friction there is a noticeable jerk when it finally gives.
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:28 PM   #45
intruderman
Founding Member

I sold my Intruder 1400 last year and bought a 2002 SV650S. I like the SV1000S, but I'm really drawn to the new Kawi Z1000. What do you think about that one?
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #46
intruderman
Founding Member

Amen to that. I can twist the snot out of my SV's throttle and not worry about ending up in the trees.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:33 PM   #47
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Excellent!!

Thou art truly a worthy bard!
Old 09-24-2002, 12:40 PM   #48
Cyberj10
Founding Member

Dont' worry, from what I hear Ducati is going to continue producing the current 998 bike. Can someone back me up on this? I know I read it somewhere just can't remember where.
Cyberj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:41 PM   #49
intruderman
Founding Member

I don't think they beat the GSXR1K more than once with an ugly stick, but I think it is a step backwards. I'll have to see it in person, though.

The SVS' new styling is definitely a step backward, yuch. I'm keeping my 2002 model, unless I figure out a way to get the Kawasaki Z1000. Now that's a great looking bike. How about those four exhaust cans! Just like 1974 again!
Old 09-24-2002, 12:46 PM   #50
Cyberj10
Founding Member

Default Re: Stiction is friction

Uh......................Me no understand???

J/K, great explanation.
Cyberj10 is offline   Reply With Quote