Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-24-2002, 07:26 AM   #31
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback

You know... I was all ready to flame you for allowing appearance to steer you away from a functionally superior motorcycle. But, with some introspection, I realize that I would indeed be flaming myself. There is no denying that when plunking down your own hard earned cash, it is the total package... tugs at your heart just as hard as it explodes off of a corner, etc... that wins every time. That said... Why don't we all go out and get the last of the 998 S' from Ducati, before all of the astoundingly beautiful AND functionally excellent bikes are gone.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2002, 07:30 AM   #32
crankin500
Founding Member

Default Re: Stiction?

Is stiction the same as friction? I thought only Kawasaki used that word. The diamond plated fork tubes look pretty cool.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 07:51 AM   #33
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Default Re: Stiction?

Stiction would be the initial force it takes to make the forks move other than the spring pressure and compression dampening. For example the fork seals grabbing the fork tubes. Kind of like wearing socks to slide across a wood floor verses being bare foot. Once you start sliding then you're talking about friction. That's the resistence to the movement that is actually happening. Hope that helps.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:24 AM   #34
DJS
Founding Member

Default Not exactly

Stiction is friction but not all friction is stiction. There is static friction and dynamic friction. Static friction is the friction between two surfaces that are not in motion relative to each other. Dynamic friction is the friction of motion.

Think of static friction (stiction) as the force necessary to start your suspension parts moving. Ideally this would be zero, that means you're suspension can respond quickly with no "jerk". If you have a lot of stiction, it takes a big bump to start your suspension moving and then it initially would overrespond.

David

DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:37 AM   #35
bluedot
Founding Member

If your into Suzuki's ... the new models styling is a progression of what the've been doing the last few years, it's that simple.

If you don't like Suzuki's then you weren't going to buy one anyway .. Style is subjective, just look at the Pontiac Aztec.

Glad to see they continue to find new uses for what was always an underated motor (TL). Too bad on the de-tune though.

They need a 600 that takes the step the 1000 did. Can't imagine they'll neglect it for long.
bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:36 AM   #36
Laurence_1
Founding Member

The lead question posed by MO staff - Is it possible to stack things other than vertically? Yes. As in, 'Brother, is she stacked!' So, what do the MO staff do when they're not riding? Practice celibacy, one suspects.

Laurence

Vancouver, BC
Laurence_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:03 AM   #37
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>I want to know what his guide-dog has to say on the matter.<<

Pretty funny line! Even if I do not agree with the sentiment -- I think it looks pretty damn nice.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:10 AM   #38
rsheidler
Founding Member

Yeah! And while we are on that theme, lets include the girls from the stands at Intermot (naked of course).
Old 09-24-2002, 10:17 AM   #39
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>what do the MO staff do when they're not riding? Practice celibacy<<

Not quite, they do seem to f@*k with us, their faithful subscribers, from time to time
Old 09-24-2002, 10:19 AM   #40
rsheidler
Founding Member

Oh, I meant to add -- you have made this clear to me.

Another poster above refered to headlights that look like tits, and now you make the connection to stacked headlights -- it all comes togather....